Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's that 3ct. blemish on the 4th finger of her left hand?

What - didn't see that???

02-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Drat!
02-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
so I tested how useful my K-1/28-105 combo would be at auto shows by taking some slapdash pics of my 911 in the driveway.
great porsche & the lens sees to render nice & sharp..
02-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
great porsche & the lens sees to render nice & sharp..
Thanks much. I think the 28-105 probably offers more bang for the buck than any lens I've ever owned - and that's saying a lot, 'cause I've owned a bunch of 'em since starting photography in 1978.

Jer

02-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
IMO I would not worry about the tiny scratch the Sigma lens with old mounts create. I had forgotten about this and mounted my new to me Sigma 85mm. Did not notice it scratching or binding. Just creates a light half moon shaped scratch only visible when lens is off.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For whatever reason, this issue just drives me crazy! Let me put it in some perspective for you, regarding the very tiny insignificant scratch....like my Bigma put on my K1.

Here she is.....lovely....at least in my eyes. Assuming I am an available young guy and she wants to go out with me, I turn her down because she has a tiny blemish just above her right upper lip.....look close, you can see it....barely! Just like the scratch on my K1. Now if her little blemish is a concern for you, I can better understand your K1 concern...and your way of thinking.
I see what you mean now, I'll never look at my K-1 the same way again... It will be posted in the marketplace today.
02-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Drat!
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
I see what you mean now, I'll never look at my K-1 the same way again... It will be posted in the marketplace today.
Been with Mrs Rupert over 50 years.....I have learned to perfect "selective" hearing and selective viewing. Ring? Scratch?

Regards!
02-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Les -

As you know, I also photograph lots of cars, so I tested how useful my K-1/28-105 combo would be at auto shows by taking some slapdash pics of my 911 in the driveway. These were taken at focal lengths ranging from 28 to 63 mm.

I decided on the 28-105 over the 24-70 because it's cheaper but largely because it's much smaller and pretty sharp at all focal lengths. I also have an FA 31, which I'll be trying out on some cars at an upcoming Porsche concours later this month (my car will NOT be among the contestants).

Jer

Jer,

I appreciated your excellent photos and the different angles you took... of your Porsche....it gave me a clear idea of how much vintage car would 'fit' into the focal length(s) of the 28-105. Your photos of your Porsche are sharp ... and lot's of clarity...which is also important to my photography. Looking forward to your photos with your 31mm Limited...this is another lens I'm considering.

Well I bit the bullet, went down to my local photography store and ordered a K-1 and 28-105. I think they will be ordering the body direct from Ricoh Canada, the lens may be in their warehouse. So it will be a couple of weeks....no problemo....as outside car shows around here don't start , till around May. But the ice racing season is in full swing now.

I may get the battery grip and extra battery in a month or two, as I have large hands and find my K-5/K10D need the battery grip to provide adequate surface area for my large, clumsy mitts. Just want to see how the K-1 works out first... sans grip... for me.

Thanks again, for your car photographs.

Les

---------- Post added 02-10-17 at 11:53 AM ----------

Thanks to all who responded. Your opinion is appreciated and provided me with an idea as to how my current lens collection would function. Nothing like getting advice on a product from expert, individuals with actual experience. It enabled me to make an informed decision. Thank you.

I ordered a K-1 body and 28-105 lens today.

Tas, thank you for the caution regarding tripods. One of my tripods is an older, but in mint condition heavy duty Leitz Tiltall. I bought it back in the mid 1980s, when I had critical tripod failure. I was using a Pentax 6 X 7, with a 90mm Leaf shutter Takumar lens...on a cheap, lightweight tripod. The head of the tripod snapped, fortunately I was able to catch the 6 X 7 before it fell. As a result I quickly bought my Tiltall...and have used it for years with my medium format Mamiya film system. I have confidence that it will support the K-1...but to be on the safe side, I will be careful when setting it up and using it.

Rupert...what can I say....except to say you're a much braver man than I....

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-10-2017 at 01:12 PM.
02-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

I appreciated your excellent photos and the different angles you took... of your Porsche....it gave me a clear idea of how much vintage car would 'fit' into the focal length(s) of the 28-105. Your photos of your Porsche are sharp ... and lot's of clarity...which is also important to my photography. Looking forward to your photos with your 31mm Limited...this is another lens I'm considering.

Well I bit the bullet, went down to my local photography store and ordered a K-1 and 28-105. I think they will be ordering the body direct from Ricoh Canada, the lens may be in their warehouse. So it will be a couple of weeks....no problemo....as outside car shows around here don't start , till around May. But the ice racing season is in full swing now.

I may get the battery grip and extra battery in a month or two, as I have large hands and find my K-5/K10D need the battery grip to provide adequate surface area for my large, clumsy mitts. Just want to see how the K-1 works out first... sans grip... for me.

Thanks again, for your car photographs.

Les
I'm glad the pics were helpful, my friend. I'm excited that your getting a K-1 with a 28-105. I'm sure enjoying mine.

Jer
02-11-2017, 02:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think that DA70 is more than ok on K-1 even wide open for shooting cars.. these are all @ 2.4 on FF mode:

Pretty good for doggie portraits also:

02-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #25
Forum Member

For whatever reason, this issue just drives me crazy! Let me put it in some perspective for you, regarding the very tiny insignificant scratch....like my Bigma put on my K1.

Here she is.....lovely....at least in my eyes. Assuming I am an available young guy and she wants to go out with me, I turn her down because she has a tiny blemish just above her right upper lip.....look close, you can see it....barely! Just like the scratch on my K1. Now if her little blemish is a concern for you, I can better understand your K1 concern...and your way of thinking.

Regards!

BTW- I don't know her but if she sees this and wants to go out with me, I will most definitely seek Mrs Rupert's consent....and I won't have the slightest concern about that tiny blemish! If Mrs Rupert sees this.....I have other concerns of a more serious nature.....
Well. After careful scrutiny, I have decided you are correct. There IS a blemish. She's dead to me now....
02-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
I think that DA70 is more than ok on K-1 even wide open for shooting cars.. these are all @ 2.4 on FF mode:

Thx for posting those classic car photographs you took with your 70 mm Limited. Those photos look excellent and at F 2.4 ! One of my favourite lenses is my 70 Limited...in fact for the past couple of weeks it has been on my K-5.

The doggie picture portrait is very nice ....our daughter has a Siberian Husky/Greyhound and I'm looking forward to using him as a model...the 70mm on K-1 looks to be an excellent combo for portraits.
02-11-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Bamtax Quote
Well. After careful scrutiny, I have decided you are correct. There IS a blemish. She's dead to me now....
Taking your opinion and advice, reevaluating my position, it pained me but I just set my blemished K1 out for trash pick-up. I left the 50-500 Bigma on it just because it had been so closely associated with such a damaged piece of equipment.

Maybe my neighbor will pick it up...he seems to have no shame, so it might work for him? I'd give out my address, but I'm sure no one here would be interested, not with the high standards I've seen regarding tiny speck size blemishes.

Regards!
02-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote

Very nice. Cute doggie too.
02-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #29
Forum Member

Taking your opinion and advice, reevaluating my position, it pained me but I just set my blemished K1 out for trash pick-up. I left the 50-500 Bigma on it just because it had been so closely associated with such a damaged piece of equipment.

Maybe my neighbor will pick it up...he seems to have no shame, so it might work for him? I'd give out my address, but I'm sure no one here would be interested, not with the high standards I've seen regarding tiny speck size blemishes.

Regards!
Hmmmm....all I need to do is find a trash can in Texas in an area that has a lot of squirrels....(fat, happy squirrels).
Might be worth a shot! How big could Texas be?