Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 questions

I'm edging more and more towards buying a new K-1. For quite awhile I was wrestling with getting a Canon 5D3....but as my mental gymnastics continued I thought the K-1 has a lot of features over the 5D3.

Some questions.

I have quite a few Pentax lenses, some of which are fully compatible with the full frame Pentax, some which will work ok ...full frame wise...at certain lens settings, but generally lenses to be used with the crop setting. I'm listing them with the hope that others will share their opinion...on my opinion. I have checked out different threads that assess a particular lens' success on the K-1, but there is sometimes dissenting opinion.

Full Frame without a doubt:

- Pentax 50mm F 1.4

-Pentax 50mm F 2.8 Macro

- Sigma 150-500, but causes cosmetic scratch to K-1 body.

ASP-C lenses that are useful at certain F stops/ focal length settings:

--10- 17 Fisheye @ 17mm....vignettes at other focal lengths

-55-300mm - ok at 300mm....vignettes at 55m to ?

-40mm Limited- OK at all F stops ?

-70mm Limited OK at F 5.6 on ?

Crop setting only:

-12-24mm....unhappy about this as my 12-24 is one of my favourite lenses...top notch quality IMO.

-16-45mm

-21mm Limited

I have put a lot of consideration in about the new FF lenses, particularly the 15-30, the 24-70 and the 28-105 mm. The 15-30, well I'd rather have a lens that has a moderate telephoto....like the 24-70 or 28-105 for portraits.

I take a lot of vintage vehicle photos and like a really good wide angle. I've mostly thought about getting either the Pentax 24-70 or the Pentax 28-105. I don't know what the equivalent ASP-C focal view width is for either 24mm or 28mm full frame.

I've read a number of reviews about the Pentax (Tamron) 24-70 and reviews (Pentax forum, etc.) seem to be lukewarm. In contrast, the cheaper Pentax 28-105 seems to be quite a good lens and regarded more favourably by many.

I'm leaning towards the 28-105. I have the Pentax 18-135 which I'm very pleased with...no it doesn't have the build quality of my Limiteds and it has the dreaded lens creep...but does it ever take sharp photos and it's WR.. I'm assuming the Pentax 28-105 is similar in design and build quality to the 18-135 ?

Opinions please.

I've also thought about getting the 31mm Limited...but it might be a bit too moderate a wide angle focal length for me...and limited being a single focal length.

Other AF wide angles to consider ?

I also have a Pentax flash...the AF360FGZ. It's been ok....actually very good when I mount my Rogue Flashbender. I'm assuming it is completely compatible with the K-1 ?

Also would get a battery grip with spare battery. I have my K10D and K-5 set this way and don't notice the additional weight that much. I'm a big, but old guy and so far seem to be able to handle the weight a DSLR equipped this way. I'm guessing the K-1 with battery grip and extra battery, would only weigh a couple of ounces or so more than the K-5/K10D equipped this way.

I recently read the Joe Farace test, of the Pentax K-1 in Shutterbug magazine and it seems glowing. I have a lot of respect for Joe's opinion. In general the K-1 seems to have a reputation for a very rugged, well built, sophisticated camera. Although I'm quite impressed with the photographic taking ability of both my K-5 and K10D, am I correct in assuming I will see a increase in picture quality with the K-1 ?

Lot of questions I realize. I appreciate anything K-1 owner/users can provide.

Les

02-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Sigma has a program for fixing those lenses that scratch the K-1.

Your categorisation of lenses looks accurate to me. Your flash will be compatible. Outside of crop mode, the K-1's photos will be a step ahead of the K-5's.

I haven't seen portraiture done with the 28-105 (it's a bit slow for much bokeh, in my limited experience) but it's a great value lens, WR, competes well with the 24-70 at similar apertures, and the DC AF is really nice.

For cars, I think the 28-105 should be able to do the job handily.

For those crop factors, 24/1.5= 16mm. 28/1.5= 18 2/3 mm
02-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you like wide see if you can find a Sigma 12-24 since it is a FF lens. Tamron has a 28-75 f/2.8 and Sigma has a 24-70 f/2.8 that you should be able to find used.
02-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have pretty right I would say. I have a K-1 (love it) and from my experience:

-55-300mm : My experience is it works ok at 300 but need to stop down to get reasonable sharpness at the edges (corners could be better). Can't remember where starts vignetting (maybe 100mm) and quality is a bit better at the longer end. While not perfect its usable at a pinch.

-40mm Limited- OK at all F stops ? I have heard it is Ok but some significant vignetting wide open but I have not tried it yet.

-70mm Limited- Its certainly better stopped down but I would actually use mine wide open. The biggest problem is the vignetting wide open but for many shots this is Ok IMO.

As a FF landscape camera, you will have trouble doing much better than the K-1 but there are better options if you are primarily into action photography.

02-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with much of what you listed. The 50 mm lenses work well full frame. I have both of them. The Sigma should be fine. The 10-17 is really only useful from about 15-17. OROH the 12-24 works pretty well from 18-24. 16-45....crop only. The 55-300 shows some vignetting throughout its range wide open. It is best in crop mode. The 40 and 70 are both Ok full frame but best stopped down. The AF360FTZ works very well on the K-1 but you lose the red spot ram feature.

FWIW the only lens I bought for the K-1 was the 15-30. It is big but superb. Hope this is a help.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 02-09-2017 at 05:04 PM.
02-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had a K-5, but I can say that for high-ISO and extreme cropping (pixel-peeping) my K-1 is a noticeable improvement over my K-3.

In FF mode, my Pentax 12-24 is usable on the K-1 starting at 18mm, with good sharpness, brightness, and no more than its usual distortion. My 40 Ltd is also fully usable in FF mode.

For a FF 24-70 f/2.8, I bought a used Sigma HSM from a forum member. This one already had the mount modified by Sigma to prevent scratching of the K-1 body. I had used the older screwdrive version of this lens on a K20d with very good results; on the K-1, the HSM version has equal IQ and focuses very quickly and accurately. For about one third the price of the Pentax, you should be able to find a Sigma 24-70 HSM in excellent condition.

I also have the Pentax 28-105, which hasn't blown me away, but I've been spoiled by the 16-85 on my K-3. Given that the 16-85 has excellent IQ, I'd say that comparable IQ from the 28-105 is commendable.
02-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO I would not worry about the tiny scratch the Sigma lens with old mounts create. I had forgotten about this and mounted my new to me Sigma 85mm. Did not notice it scratching or binding. Just creates a light half moon shaped scratch only visible when lens is off.

02-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day,

Some points in going from the K5 to the K-1:

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
-70mm Limited OK at F 5.6 on ?
As Jonathon has stated above, if you're okay with vignetting this lens can be used wide open. Some forum members are stating that it's best stopped down to avoid vignetting and softness on the edge of frame but from my experience the softness can be hard to see in this example ( Free Spirit | Larger view on black (arrows, F11, click on th? | Flickr ). Please note I added to the vignette in that image. So IMHO, the DA70 is a great lens and it works really well on the K-1. Having said this though I'd suggest if you decide to grab a K-1 that you give this lens a go and see what you think as it's characteristics on the K-1 might be suitable with some subjects and not others.

Other AF wide angles to consider ?
How wide? I've found that the K-1 really shows it's legs over APSC with wider lenses and that 18-30mm was much more usefully wide than on APSC. Though at 15mm or wider you are likely to be restricted to manual focus for the best options like the Irix (for now anyway) unless you opt for the 15-30. I would like to point out too that the K-1 is an improvement over the K5 for using the AF to assist with manual focussing (whether using the viewfinder or LV and focus peaking). Personally whilst you don't really have an FF wide angle listed I would recommend waiting on the wide angle prime that is on the lens road map. It would be reasonable to expect a weather sealed AF lens with flash coatings etc. I'm not in the market for any lenses but these new primes really intrigue me and I'm hoping they're something special.

Although I'm quite impressed with the photographic taking ability of both my K-5 and K10D, am I correct in assuming I will see a increase in picture quality with the K-1 ?
Yes. As stated above you really see the difference when you go wide but even looking at the telephoto images I've captured, the lack of an AA filter is obvious in the resolution that can be achieved. When going from the K5 to the K-1 the biggest difference I notice is the weight and if you're buying new lenses, the additional costs. In this I'd recommend you review what tripod you're currently using as the lighter set ups with APSC enable lighter tripods to be usable. This is not likely the case with the K-1 particularly with the heavier lenses. Examples of damaged K-1's from falls can be found around here, but hopefully you've already got a decent quality tripod and head to avoid that cost.

Good luck with your decision mate.

Tas
02-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Les -

As you know, I also photograph lots of cars, so I tested how useful my K-1/28-105 combo would be at auto shows by taking some slapdash pics of my 911 in the driveway. These were taken at focal lengths ranging from 28 to 63 mm.

I decided on the 28-105 over the 24-70 because it's cheaper but largely because it's much smaller and pretty sharp at all focal lengths. I also have an FA 31, which I'll be trying out on some cars at an upcoming Porsche concours later this month (my car will NOT be among the contestants).

Jer

02-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick note, after agreeing with comments on the 28~105, which punches well about its weight - there's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting your DA Limiteds in crop mode on K-1. Resolution and DR are +/- K-5 quality and you can shoot FF stopped down a bit when called for. Because I sold my K-3, I sometimes shoot long manual FF lenses in crop mode for the reach.
50/1.4 good
50/2.8 very good
40 Limited - OK - corners are actually OK
70 Limited - doesn't bother me (but I use the FA77)

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.
02-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
RJH

I actually like the way the 12-24 performs on the K-1 (although @ 18 the corners may be just a little too soft) when locked to full frame. Sure, you wouldn't use it where edge to edge performance is required but it works well otherwise.

Last edited by RJH; 02-10-2017 at 02:57 AM.
02-09-2017, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

- Sigma 150-500, but causes cosmetic scratch to K-1 body.
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I think Sigma has a program for fixing those lenses that scratch the K-1.
QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
IMO I would not worry about the tiny scratch the Sigma lens with old mounts create. I had forgotten about this and mounted my new to me Sigma 85mm. Did not notice it scratching or binding. Just creates a light half moon shaped scratch only visible when lens is off.
For whatever reason, this issue just drives me crazy! Let me put it in some perspective for you, regarding the very tiny insignificant scratch....like my Bigma put on my K1.

Here she is.....lovely....at least in my eyes. Assuming I am an available young guy and she wants to go out with me, I turn her down because she has a tiny blemish just above her right upper lip.....look close, you can see it....barely! Just like the scratch on my K1. Now if her little blemish is a concern for you, I can better understand your K1 concern...and your way of thinking.

Regards!

BTW- I don't know her but if she sees this and wants to go out with me, I will most definitely seek Mrs Rupert's consent....and I won't have the slightest concern about that tiny blemish! If Mrs Rupert sees this.....I have other concerns of a more serious nature.....
02-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If Mrs Rupert sees this.....I have other concerns of a more serious nature.....
Yes, you will be the one full of blemishes!!
02-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Yes, you will be the one full of blemishes!!
I'd be lucky if that was all I got!

Regards!
02-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For whatever reason, this issue just drives me crazy! Let me put it in some perspective for you, regarding the very tiny insignificant scratch....like my Bigma put on my K1.

Here she is.....lovely....at least in my eyes. Assuming I am an available young guy and she wants to go out with me, I turn her down because she has a tiny blemish just above her right upper lip.....look close, you can see it....barely! Just like the scratch on my K1. Now if her little blemish is a concern for you, I can better understand your K1 concern...and your way of thinking.

Regards!

BTW- I don't know her but if she sees this and wants to go out with me, I will most definitely seek Mrs Rupert's consent....and I won't have the slightest concern about that tiny blemish! If Mrs Rupert sees this.....I have other concerns of a more serious nature.....
Blemish? What blemish?