Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
RJH

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm not sure if firmware upgradability is really a significant point of comparison between the Pentax and Metz models? From what I read here the Metz firmware is often playing catchup, and then it's very late sometimes. Metz have to make their flashes compatible with number of camera systems. Pentax have always built in compatibility with their modern flashes and every new camera they release.
Agreed, but it is a significant point of difference between a Metz and another, non upgradeable brand. I would also be hesitant to assume that, just because a flash has a port that allows upgrading, the manufacturer will in fact create new firmware. As you rightly say, Metz are often playing catch up - but that is far better than leaving their product permanently crippled when a new generation of bodies is released.

02-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #17

Original Poster
What will you say about this: Metz 64 AF-1
02-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i have the Metz 58AF-1 and the latest firmware makes it useable with the K1.
03-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #19

Original Poster
Hello friends, I bought Metz 64 AF-1. did not work focus assist beam
Is it because of the color beam difference?

03-26-2017, 01:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinhaker Quote
did not work focus assist beam
The AF assist beam never seems to work properly with any flash, except perhaps the Pentax ones. Doesn't work on my Metz 52 AF1, didn't work on my Sigma 530 either, & reportedly doesn't work with the Yongnuo 585.
03-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinhaker Quote
or other?
Most picture with a flash looking awful. It changed when you move the flash away from the camera. For this reason I bought the 360FGZ some years ago for my K5IIs.
But with K1 I can not use it anymore. So I had to buy a wireless flash trigger. Now I can use it again, but it is much overpriced for this application. Oh..and the user interface of the 360FGZ is ugly, too!
So I recomend to check the 540 very carefull for the user interface of buy something different.

Olaf
03-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darkover Quote
Most picture with a flash looking awful. It changed when you move the flash away from the camera. For this reason I bought the 360FGZ some years ago for my K5IIs.
But with K1 I can not use it anymore. So I had to buy a wireless flash trigger. Now I can use it again, but it is much overpriced for this application. Oh..and the user interface of the 360FGZ is ugly, too!
So I recomend to check the 540 very carefull for the user interface of buy something different.

Olaf
I assume the reason it failed off camera was the lack of a master or controller flash built in. In theory you can add a 2nd 360fgz on camera to trigger the first if you did not wish to use radio transceivers.