Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 02:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I thought we were talking about converting slides with the K1.
There is still a Microtek 3600dpi SCSI film scanner at my home and I've done a few very good scans of Kodachrome 25 and 64 slides, exposed with high resolution lenses. One picture had been blew up about 40 times with astonishing results. Post processing had been done with a professional software, which came on four 3.25' disks. Some years ago, I did a series of scans of good and less good slides with my K7, a fine 50mm Macro lens, copy stand and light table ending in a process time of about 10 minutes per slide incl. post processing / filing. A few months ago I did a favor for my friend with scanning the slides of his father, who made them in the sixties and seventies, using now the K1, the SMC 50/4, HMI light and the Asahi slide holder, ending in a process time of about 5 minutes per slide incl post processing / filing. Next project will be to scan with K1, macro lens (have to check first the best suited lens for 1:1), Asahi slide holder and flash light the above described Kodachrome slide(s). For me it makes fun to have a certain amount of time for each slide/negative to copy because I had been lucky earlier to come out of the darkroom with a few good prints at the end of the day. The Microtek film scanner I will give away soon because of its limited dynamic range.

If somebody will look for fast scanning of many thousands pictures I would advice one of that companies around doing that service. If you would offer such a service yourself, I would advise to acquire one of these different 'digital slide projectors' offered. I know people, they used one of this 'digital slide projectors' and they are happy with the results.

Last edited by exposeric; 02-20-2017 at 03:38 AM.
02-20-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

using the Novoflex sliding rail, smallest PK extension tube, 49mm reverse adapter, 43 to 49mm adapter, apo componon 45mm, M39 to M42 adapter, 2 small M42 extension tubes, Asahi Slide copier
just checked ad hoc the combo capturing a Leica projection test slide with f5.6 and f8 on componon using pixel shift and it looks good for cross-checking with other macro lenses
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 02-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.
02-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by exposeric Quote
apo componon 45mm, M39 to M42 adapter
In case anyone is wondering, the Schneider Apo Componon 45mm is a high quality enlarger lens and is optimized for reproduction of flat originals to flat media.

Steve
02-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In case anyone is wondering, the Schneider Apo Componon 45mm is a high quality enlarger lens and is optimized for reproduction of flat originals to flat media.

Steve
the lens is mounted reverse and should be according to coinimaging.com have very good resolution, sharpness and corner sharpness at 1:1. At f5.6 the results look smoother, at f8 they look very sharp and a little hard, every dirt on the slide is also clearly visible. The connection to the camera with these adapters used is not so solid and stable. If somebody does not like that, a PK-macro lens will make the work much easier. Together with the Asahi slide copier, the SMC 50/4 is very good to work with because of it's perfect fitting barrel diameter

02-20-2017, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by exposeric Quote
the lens is mounted reverse and should be according to coinimaging.com have very good resolution, sharpness and corner sharpness at 1:1. At f5.6 the results look smoother, at f8 they look very sharp and a little hard, every dirt on the slide is also clearly visible.
Yes, I am not sure one can better your Componon for this task though a less complex mount arrangement might be more convenient. Mark Goodman's coinimaging.com Web site is a very useful resource for macro photography and also has some of the best resources on the Web explaining how complex lenses work. If one has an interest in "principal planes", "entrance pupils", "nodal points", or "pupillary magnification" that is the place to go:

Optics Articles

Steve
02-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, I am not sure one can better your Componon for this task though a less complex mount arrangement might be more convenient. Mark Goodman's coinimaging.com Web site is a very useful resource for macro photography and also has some of the best resources on the Web explaining how complex lenses work. If one has an interest in "principal planes", "entrance pupils", "nodal points", or "pupillary magnification" that is the place to go:

Optics Articles

Steve
Hi Steve
Thank you for commenting the coinimaging.com.

The Apo Componon 45mm looks like to be one of the best for this purpose within my macro lenses. I've to check once more with LV the Focotar-2 50mm from Leitz. It was funny with it, because I could move the helicoid within 1/3 turn and the K1 always indicated sharpness in the center. The Focotar-2 50mm was my preferred lens in the darkroom for 24/36 enlargements (up to 12'/16'). According to Dr Klaus Schmitt / macrolenses.de, the Focotar-2 50 is also very useful for macro photography.
02-23-2017, 02:51 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are now the results of two lenses checked at f8 in an improvised manner. They are not worth to be discussed deeply.

The exposure with the Leitz Focotar-2 50mm is made using a 35 watts halogen bulb, 2900K, with PS, ES, focused with LV, on tripod and with Schneider Apo Componon 45mm, window light, AWB, PS, on table (not mounted) and focusing through viewfinder is applied.
(Focotar-2 is more than 30 years old and had been for a long time in the darkroom; it looks like there is some flare and the mounting of this lens is heavily improvised)
(image files made with Focotar-2 deleted)

You may be disturbed by uneven light and uneven focus from left to right / up and down, e.g. Sorry about that. The installation with slide holder, focusing rail, etc. will benefit a lot from further optimization.

(whole slides resized to 800 pixels wide, crops are 100 % showing pixels 1:1)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 05-24-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: image files made with Focotar-2 deleted
02-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apo Componon 45 upper corner right and down corner right added
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2017, 04:06 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC 50/4 M42 compared with Apo-Componon 45 - both with f9

I've tried one more session and gave more attention to get better results.
The best light at the moment is the window light and the settings of K1 with LV, ES, PS, AWB, 100ASA, self timer, tripod. I've seen, that I had sharpness +1 in 'natural mode', which I've set to 0 for this comparison. The lenses have been mounted on camera using reverse adapter.
The issue with the focal plane is still present and there is a deviation in focus from left to right and up / down and this will need further inspection and hopefully improvement.

The pictures of the slide are 800 pixels wide and the crops show 100 % - pixels 1:1

First the results made with the SMC Takumar 50/4 SN 441.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 02-24-2017 at 04:27 AM.
02-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lower corner right
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2017, 04:12 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

..... and than the ones of the Apo-Componon 45/4 HM MC

---------- Post added 24-02-17 at 12:13 PM ----------
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 02-24-2017 at 06:01 AM.
02-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apo Componon - the corners
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2017, 05:38 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2:1 slide copy using d-mount 36mm lens

I would like to show you, why my project depends on the use of a sliding rail. Even it's a little bit difficult to get the focal plane correct.

With c- or d-mount lenses (reverse mounted) I've got good results in macro/micro-photography and I wanted to use them also for copying parts of a slide.

This one was made with Kern Yvar 36mm AR using f8 and now its visible at center crop at the black and white bars e.g. that this Leica test projection slide comes in glass mounted.

First is FF scaled down to 800 Pixels wide, than crops 100 % where second is in the center (of lens) and third is above of center.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 02-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
02-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've made new slide copies with K1, Apo Componon 45mm, f5.6, FF, self timer, LV, ES, PS, AWB, Flat contrast -3, window light and center weighted exposure at 100ASA.
First slide from 1986, Kodachrome, Rollei 35 view camera, collapsible Tessar 3.5, scaled down to 800 pixels high, center crop 100% from original jpg, no post processing (except 90 degrees turn).
Second slide from 1998, Ektachrome, Contax G with Sonnar 90mm, scaled down to 800 pixels wide, center crop 100% from original jpg, no post processing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by exposeric; 02-27-2017 at 04:13 AM. Reason: more information added
02-27-2017, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been busy converting some of my old slides with my K1. If anyone is interested here are some of the results:
Canyonlands | Flickr