Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
especially don't use EV compensation when in manual mode all that does is bias the exposure meter
You are correct and my memory is wrong! Exposure comp will dim the display in any of the automated exposure modes, but not M or X modes.

Steve

02-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a telescope user with a very very bright 8" dobsonian - when I want to view the moon I have to stop down my mirror telescope. How you say? With cardboard templates with smaller holes in them. I typically use a 2" opening for moon viewing to avoid painfully bright views. I would expect you could make a paper mask out of black card stock or construction paper closer to the f8 you plan to shoot and either use it directly as your aperture or only use it during focusing.

---------- Post added 02-13-17 at 09:12 PM ----------

The other alternative would be to jam the stop down lever of the lens with a paper shim to force it to stop down and the find the f stop at which the moon renders sharply in live view. Or switch lenses to something m42 with stopped down metering.

---------- Post added 02-13-17 at 09:14 PM ----------

Can you use depth of field preview and focus peaking? I can't recall if both work in live view simultaneously.
02-13-2017, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Spot metering worked. Thanks for the tip.

02-13-2017, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcL Quote
Spot metering worked. Thanks for the tip.
This forum is fast at problem solving; things were solved while I was typing a response.

Here's another tip for focusing on the moon. Turn on live view, aim at a bright star, lock down tripod, zoom in live view, manual focus until that star is as small as possible. Re-aim at the moon and take your photo.

02-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #20

Settings I use for capturing the moon

You will need to use a fast shutter speed with ISO 100 to capture the moon.

I capture this using 50-500 bigma with K-1
02-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The spot metering trick works if the moon is big enough to cover the ”spot”, so it depends on focal length and phase of the moon. It’s a lot harder when there is only a small slice of the moon.

One trick to enlarge the moon (for the spot meter) is to switch over to APS-C while focusing.