Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #1

Pixel Shift & in-camera HDR images

OK, so this is, probably, another one of the few tens of similar topics related to what actually means Pixel Shift & in-camera HDR images and how they are processed either by the camera or, externally, in a particular software. If, basically, I know what is about these 2 type of images, I still want to (finally and clearly) understand how they "behave" with or without the appropriate software for managing them.
So, just to summarize what I've learnt so far and please correct me where I'm wrong: both PS & HDR are 4, respectively 3, different shots, stacked together in camera and delivered to the memory card as a single file. Further on, this file should be carefully processed through an appropriate software (CU, LR ?, other..., converting in tiff etc etc....), btw I never used Pentax CU, not even installed, since the last experience with the old Silky Pix from K10
And now, there are my questions:
1. If I will process (or just review) any of such files directly through LR (as I usually do), what is the image that I see on the screen?
2. If I start processing through CU, would I be able to see separately each of the 4/ or3 images which form the whole package? Or, still, just the final result?

Just for in-camera HDR files, I mentioned few months ago in another thread, LR CC shows one particular image (of a HDR) in the short preview during import, but immediately the import is finished, the image is changed, the difference is exactly as the scene was captured during a long exposure HDR: last 2 shots contain a small detail which is not present in the first one; the short preview shows that detail, as in the final thumbnail that detail is gone, which means I am able to see just the first shot, isn't it? Now, coming back, I am able to see the right HDR image but in ACDSee, directly from the card!

I would probably be sleeping much more tranquil If I will understand what the hell is all about these files! Thanks!

02-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by sorins Quote
OK, so this is, probably, another one of the few tens of similar topics related to what actually means Pixel Shift & in-camera HDR images and how they are processed either by the camera or, externally, in a particular software. If, basically, I know what is about these 2 type of images, I still want to (finally and clearly) understand how they "behave" with or without the appropriate software for managing them.
So, just to summarize what I've learnt so far and please correct me where I'm wrong: both PS & HDR are 4, respectively 3, different shots, stacked together in camera and delivered to the memory card as a single file. Further on, this file should be carefully processed through an appropriate software (CU, LR ?, other..., converting in tiff etc etc....), btw I never used Pentax CU, not even installed, since the last experience with the old Silky Pix from K10
And now, there are my questions:
1. If I will process (or just review) any of such files directly through LR (as I usually do), what is the image that I see on the screen?
2. If I start processing through CU, would I be able to see separately each of the 4/ or3 images which form the whole package? Or, still, just the final result?

Just for in-camera HDR files, I mentioned few months ago in another thread, LR CC shows one particular image (of a HDR) in the short preview during import, but immediately the import is finished, the image is changed, the difference is exactly as the scene was captured during a long exposure HDR: last 2 shots contain a small detail which is not present in the first one; the short preview shows that detail, as in the final thumbnail that detail is gone, which means I am able to see just the first shot, isn't it? Now, coming back, I am able to see the right HDR image but in ACDSee, directly from the card!

I would probably be sleeping much more tranquil If I will understand what the hell is all about these files! Thanks!
Hi my friend. I had also the same questions. The solution is that yiou have to open those files in Digital camera utlity(the cd that comes with the camera). Only then you can take full advantage of pixel shifted and in body hdr shots.
I hope that i was able to help you.
Greetings from Cyprus.
02-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The software to use right now for pixel shift is Raw Therapee v5, or at least PDCU or Silkypix 7.
Raw Therapee is then only software to cater for all the options to mask out movement in pixel shift files (and its free).
LR gives weird movement artifacts, so its basically out of the equation.

Plenty of pixel shift samples and ideas here :
Pixel Shifted Images - PentaxForums.com

RawTherapee support for PS is very recent (only since Dec 2016), so it gets mentioned nearer the end of the thread.

If you are looking at PS and HDR, perhaps the workflow can be :

1. PS processing in RawTherapee into TIFF
2. HDR processing in NikHDR, PS, etc

You might want to explore exposure blending and luminosity masks as well.
I find it less "HDRish" in look
02-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Just FYI... Iridient Developer also supports pixel-shift images. I usually open/process the raw file with Iridient, then export as TIF, then bring it into LR.

If you open a pixel-shift raw file with LR for editing, I believe you will only see a single image of the four-image series. I haven't worked with the HDR function, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited by wildboar; 02-21-2017 at 06:57 AM.
02-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for in-camera HDR files, I mentioned few months ago in another thread, LR CC shows one particular image (of a HDR) in the short preview during import, but immediately the import is finished, the image is changed
Answers:
  1. What you see in LR depends on whether LR supports the feature. For pixel-shift in an up-to-date copy of LR 6.x or CC you see the merged image. Otherwise, you see the first of the series of stacked images.
  2. Assuming that CU mean Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU), the answer is that you see the final result. If you want to extract the individual image files, PDCU can separate out HDR images. I don't know about pixel-shift RAW. A good option for extracting the individual images is Dave Coffin's excellent dcraw utility.
  3. On import to LR, by default the original image seen on import is the embedded preview JPEG which changes to a preview based on the processed RAW. I believe this is a setting that may be modified to speed bulk imports. For in-camera HDR, I believe the embedded JPEG is a compressed version of the full merge, though that is something you will have to check out for yourself.*
In my opinion your best option for HDR is to not use the in-camera feature. You have LR 6.x which provides native HDR support for a bracketed sequence. There are also several other capable products that can also work from a bracketed sequence and provide better control than the in-camera HDR.

Steve

* These questions puzzle me since this stuff was covered in your other thread from December.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
02-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi all and thanks for your kind answers!
Steve, thank you for detailed explanations, that's what actually made me understand more clearly now.
I indeed had a similar thread in December, but what changed immediately after is related to ACDSee (see my last line mention), all I wanted to highlight is that there's another possibility to see such files.