Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Using Leica-M Lenses on a Pentax K-1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am having difficulty getting my Leica-M lenses to work on the Pentax K-1. I'm using a Leica-M lens to Pentax K mount adapter, and was hoping someone had a suggestion.

The only adapter I was able to find that allowed (potentially) Leica-M lenses to be mounted on the K-1 was the K&F Concept Leica M Lens to Pentax PK mount Adapter Ring L/M-PK, which I got on eBay. If there are others, please let me know.

The adapter does mount, but I cannot focus. The shutter does trigger, but the image is out of focus. Also, I'm not sure how to get a proper exposure.
I also read the article How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc), which gave some tips:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

I switched the AF/MF to MF on the front of the camera.
Menu/#26 Using Aperture Ring: Enable
Manual Mode
Set focal length of lens used

Turning the focus ring has little to no effect on focus. The fstop reads "F--" on the LCD.

If anyone knows how to get this to work, I'd very much appreciate it. Or, if it's a problem with the adapter, another solution.

This is my first post here.

02-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have much experience with Leica lenses, but I *think* that adapter works as an extension tube. In other words, infinity focus isn't possible, and you may be confined to short shooting distances.

As for exposure, the steps in that article should work. Put the camera in M mode, select the aperture on the lens, then press the green button on the camera and finally take the shot. The shutter speed will be set for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The flange distance on Leica lenses is almost half the distance of the K mount 45.46mm flange. Without additional optics in the adapter to compensate for this, infinity focus will be impossible to achieve*. Leica M lenses do not focus closely due to the inherent inaccuracies of the RF mechanism,so close focusing ability is reduced and thus, the focusing throw of** Leica M lenses is reduced drastically compared to common SLR lenses.

If you really want to use Leica glass on K mount your best option would be the Leica R series lenses. These are relatively straight forward to adapt to K mount, and as they are SLR lenses they offer a wider focus throw than their smaller M counterparts.

* The seller mentions this caveat.
** macro lenses do exist for Leica M cameras, however magnification is limited to 1:2. For this application It is far easier to use an SLR - at least you can see the focus errors coming.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-22-2017 at 04:41 PM.
02-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't have much experience with Leica lenses, but I *think* that adapter works as an extension tube. In other words, infinity focus isn't possible, and you may be confined to short shooting distances.

As for exposure, the steps in that article should work. Put the camera in M mode, select the aperture on the lens, then press the green button on the camera and finally take the shot. The shutter speed will be set for you.
Thanks Adam, that was really helpful. I believe you are right about this adapter working only as an extension tube, even if I don't want to accept it. I tried moving the camera to focus, and when I got a couple inches away it was in focus. The focus ring gave a micro adjustment to the focus. Handheld, it's rather difficult to maintain focus. Perhaps using the Catch in focus. But what I was actually looking for, of course, was the ability to adapt the Leica-M lenses to the K-1. The rendering of the images is great. Thank you.

02-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-mount register distance is 45.46mm. The Leica-M register distance is 27.8mm. So, as Adam says, the adapter will function as a (roughly) 18mm extension tube and the focus range will probably allow it to be used for short distance shots and probably macro.
02-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, Digitalis, this adapter on the K-1 solves the problem of Leica-M lenses not focusing closely, although the problem is it now *only* focuses *very* closely. You're right, the seller did mention it won't focus to infinity, and now that I understand it better it has made a greater impact on me.

It's not that I want to use Leica glass on the K mount, it's that I want to use the Leica glass I already own, which is all Leica-M (not Leica-R), although I appreciate the comment.
02-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
PJ1, it really seems to be just for macro.

02-22-2017, 09:02 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
And if you want ff, it has to be one of the Sony A7 models.
Or Leica...I do believe they offer several 24x36 FF models that support M-mount quite nicely.

Steve
02-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
.I do believe they offer several 24x36 FF models that support M-mount quite nicely.
Leica certainly does, the Monochrom, M9 and the new M10. But even second hand, these cameras command prices that some people balk at.
02-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case you should happen to have or will get a Leica-R lens and just in case you don't already know, this is the place to go for replacement mounts.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
02-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you don't need FF, the Ricoh GXR + A12 M module could solve the problem for you:

The Ricoh GXR: The Digital Leica CL | Leicaphilia

It still seems available in a number of stores.
02-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
There is no digital reflex camera that will allow you to use those lenses with infinity focus without corrective optics. No Canon. No Nikon. No Pentax. If you want to use them on digital, it has to be mirrorless. And if you want ff, it has to be one of the Sony A7 models.
dcshooter, I have the Leica M9-P, which is full-frame, and the lenses work great. As stevebrot points out in the next post. But I get your point.

---------- Post added 02-23-17 at 01:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Leica certainly does, the Monochrom, M9 and the new M10. But even second hand, these cameras command prices that some people balk at.
Digitalis, I was hoping to maximize my Leica lenses. But it looks like Pentax now has to make an adapter with corrective optics. I may be waiting awhile.

---------- Post added 02-23-17 at 01:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Just in case you should happen to have or will get a Leica-R lens and just in case you don't already know, this is the place to go for replacement mounts.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
Schraubstock, thanks for the link.

---------- Post added 02-23-17 at 01:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you don't need FF, the Ricoh GXR + A12 M module could solve the problem for you:

The Ricoh GXR: The Digital Leica CL | Leicaphilia

It still seems available in a number of stores.
Thanks for the thought, rawr, I have seen this option, and checked out some nice photos on flickr.
02-23-2017, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thegrail Quote
But it looks like Pentax now has to make an adapter with corrective optics. I may be waiting awhile.
Cold fusion will be a household technology before Pentax makes a K Mount - Leica M mount adapter with corrective optics.
02-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe Future Pentax K-0.9 is properly made mirrorless and works with these M-lenses. But even then there are notorious issues with adapting wide M-lenses to Sony A7x - horrible corner and edge performance due to bad ray angles.
02-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
there are notorious issues with adapting wide M-lenses to Sony A7x - horrible corner and edge performance due to bad ray angles.

And the abnormally thick sensor filter stack.