Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If not being used and not on display, what's the point?

Define "legacy". I'm using exclusively AF, and I do see myself thinning my current herd of normal primes (DA40, F50 F1.7, FA50 F1.4, K50 F1.2), but I want to see if Pentax does the "HD upgrade" trick with the FA Limiteds it did with the DA Limiteds. I'd pay good money for a FA43 with DC and WR.

As long as no one comes out with a FF equivalent for the DA21 (regarding starbursts, mainly) I'll hold on to it.

I'll probably modify my 60-250 soon to make it full frame compatible, but if Pentax released an upgrade (with DC or PLM?) I'd buy it.

None of this is particularly "legacy".

The good stuff should be assembled wherever there can be good quality control and Lean manufacturing. Be it Japan, Canada, the US, China, Korea, Viet Nam, or anywhere else.
Circumstances. I move around a lot. Live in the UK and the Far East. Can't drag it all about on flights.

02-25-2017, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Circumstances. I move around a lot. Live in the UK and the Far East. Can't drag it all about on flights.
I am in the same situation.
Most of the time in South East Asia, and a couple of months a year in Europe.
Bringing with me everything i'd like to... well, it's practically impossible.
I kept a few very nice Pentax vintage glasses for the day the mythical full frame materializes, and since i bought the K-1 i haven't spent a single day where most of those lenses are stored!
In a few days i'll be back in Italy, where i have most of my old lenses.
I have already decided what will go in my hand luggage when i'll come back:
two zooms, three recent/fast primes, and two vintage glasses with a peculiar rendition.
Flash, accessories, etc will go in the checked luggage, and a backup body, tripod and a couple of lenses will wait for my return in Thailand,
I'd like to have even more, but this choice is already a bit of a stretch, zooms and fast primes are bulky!
It is a little frustrating to have many lenses and little time to use them, because most of the time you live in another place.
Even more so, if you are (like me) a fan of vintage rendition and smooth bokeh vs absolute sharpness.
I guess we can't have everything from life. That's fine, i think that the trick is to enjoy what we have, and make good use of it, even if it's just for a short time, without always wanting something different.

While writing this post, a weird idea just crossed my mind.
I'd like to test a few vintage lenses while i'm in Italy, and eventually release a review.
Why not ask forum users if anybody is especially interested on any of my lenses?
I could test one or two objectives on the K-1, based on the input i receive...
The (long) list is in my signature. Just an idea. I will start a different thread if there is any interest.

cheers

Paolo
02-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to offload most of my FA*'s. Might keep one 85mm and the 200mm macro just for the sake of the collection, though.
In the military, two phrases are used :

"Leading By Example" and " Tip Of The Spear". Which applies to you?
02-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have some good legacy glass, particularly my A 35-105mm Macro Zoom which is a lovely lens and known as the stack of primes by a number of Pentaxians. Absolutely beautifully made....very high quality.

Buuuut.....it's manual focus and my eyes as well as the rest of me are getting on. One of the reasons I stayed with Pentax back in 2007 when I bought my digital camera a K10D was because I wanted to use the 35-105. However at that time, I bought my first auto focus lens the Pentax 16-45. Auto focus is lovely and I admit since then every lens I've bought since 2007, is auto focus, while my manual focus 35-105 and it's brothers and sisters, . all lie dormant.

02-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If not being used and not on display, what's the point?

Define "legacy". I'm using exclusively AF, and I do see myself thinning my current herd of normal primes (DA40, F50 F1.7, FA50 F1.4, K50 F1.2), but I want to see if Pentax does the "HD upgrade" trick with the FA Limiteds it did with the DA Limiteds. I'd pay good money for a FA43 with DC and WR.

As long as no one comes out with a FF equivalent for the DA21 (regarding starbursts, mainly) I'll hold on to it.

I'll probably modify my 60-250 soon to make it full frame compatible, but if Pentax released an upgrade (with DC or PLM?) I'd buy it.

None of this is particularly "legacy".

The good stuff should be assembled wherever there can be good quality control and Lean manufacturing. Be it Japan, Canada, the US, China, Korea, Viet Nam, or anywhere else.
Canada?! The beer is inferior along with the wildlife(they have us with Polar Bears). Their Cervelo R5's are world-class.
02-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After almost 3 years of living a somewhat nomadic life, I am looking forward to having all my stuff in once place so I can decide what, if anything, should go. Hopefully that'll happen by mid-year.

I'll certainly keep my three Amigos, and will likely add a wide/UWA prime to the K-1 herd, but am rethinking whether I need to keep all my APSC glass, or whether I just keep a basic travel kit for the K-3. Might even sell the K-3 and get a KP for travel.

Weight of the new lenses is really a deal breaker for me - the K-1 and 24-70 are about as much weight as I can manage.

Plus, I am feeling pretty happy with my kit as it is!
02-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Canada?! The beer is inferior along with the wildlife(they have us with Polar Bears). Their Cervelo R5's are world-class.
I'm sorry, I'm so far from understanding what you mean by this post...

02-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't take real beer, get the heck out of Canada. (We'll point you to the border.)

People who drink beer that tastes like water with no alcohol content complaining about Canadian beer? Really?
02-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2017 at 06:55 ----------

It's a joke.
02-28-2017, 01:36 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
giving up your premium legacy glass for new versions?
No immediate plans, but if ever any of mine fail, or don't do the job I need from them. I wouldn't hesitate in replacing them, with their equivalent from these new fine offerings coming along now.

That said... worryingly I've been using some of this glass now, for well over thirty years now.