Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 SD slot spring differences ...

I duplicate the data to both SD slots and tend to upload to my pc by using the SD card from slot 2 rather than slot 1. I've noticed that the insertion spring is more positive on slot 2 than slot 1. Slot 2 feels like my previous Pentax bodies. Slot 1 is weaker. I guess as I rarely expect to use slot 1, I'll leave it now and use it even less as I'm wondering ( = fearing ?) that as its spring mechanism sounds and feels weaker there's possibly a problem looming there. (I've swapped SD cards so it isn't that. It does seem to be just the slot spring mechanism in slot1)

Has anyone else noticed the spring mechanism being different/weaker on either slot? Maybe it was the same on some older bodies but it never failed ... ever, so no concerns ! It would be encouraging to know ...

Out of interest do folk tend to upload via SD card or USB cable ? I've tended to avoid the USB cable as the door is fiddly to get properly sealed, thus I use SD card. Maybe I should think differently, if I am encouraging a spring failure ...

Thoughts ...

02-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the SD card in a card reader to load images from SD card to computer.
02-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if one of them has dirt in it. Other than that, I have no idea.
02-27-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have shifted over to using slot 2 as the primary because for me, it is easier to get the card out. I'm just using slot 1 as a spare card at this time.

I always use a card reader but I'm not sure there is any real world difference between it and the USB. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Pick what you are comfortable with.

02-27-2017, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I wonder if one of them has dirt in it. Other than that, I have no idea.
No dirt. Completely clean. I'm careful.
02-27-2017, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Out of interest do folk tend to upload via SD card or USB cable ? I've tended to avoid the USB cable as the door is fiddly to get properly sealed, thus I use SD card. Maybe I should think differently, if I am encouraging a spring failure ...
No using usb. Direct card reader on PC is faster.
02-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My slot one spring was originally the same, but now it's not as good at slot 2. I was going to send it in for repair but decided not too. I can still get the card out, so not too concerned.

02-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Slot 2 seems slightly stiffer. Not so much that I ever really noticed before and nothing that would worry me about the construction.
I rarely remove the card from slot2, so I haven't had much chance to notice. :-)

Since the K1 only had USB2 a connection, I import using a USB3 card reader.
Even if I only had USB2 on the computer, I see no reason to drain the camera battery uploading files.