Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
, I think you just moved a while back and probally just haven't unpacked yet
I did move further away from the city, i'm still near the beach. A lot of my stuff still isn't unpacked, and it won't be until I find another place in the city. Renting can be fun in the sense that you can bug out if the neighborhood goes south, but it isn't a good long term solution*. I may just sell half of my camera gear**, buy a house near the beach and call it a day.

*the last house I was living at in Grange was bulldozed, subdivided, and turned into a three unit block.
** All the camera shops in Adelaide would probably freak out if I did this.

03-01-2017, 04:42 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I may just sell half of my camera gear
Now that's a garage sale I would want to attend
03-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Garage sale? I'd need to have locked cabinets and hire armed guards.

A lot of the stuff I own is *not* cheap.
03-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You could do some serious damage..... best to stay away.....

03-01-2017, 04:51 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a bad influence on other peoples spending habits.
03-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

i'm still near the beach. [...] I'd need to have locked cabinets
Perhaps more importantly, I hope you have a dry cabinet or two for all your optics.
Not much value in a huge collection of fungus-filled lenses.
03-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lenses, when they aren't in use are stored securely in pelican cases*, I keep the longer lenses such as the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L, Nikkor AF-S 800mm f/5.6 FL ED VR and Pentax FA*250-600mm f/5.6 in their original cases, all stored lenses have fresh desiccant** in their respective cases to control humidity. My 50mm lens collection is the most difficult thing to shift.

* My working set of lenses I keep in my camera bag - ready to go.
** I had to change over to the type with the moisture indicator in it, I bought a 3kg bag - I ended up using all of it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-01-2017 at 05:58 AM.
03-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #38
Pentaxian

*ahem* I'm fine traveling with a small dual lens Leica M kit or just the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 on my K-1.
Ya, that's what you say now...
03-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

My lenses, when they aren't in use are stored securely in pelican cases*
I don't want to preach, but you can do better.

Legend Wonderful dry cabinets aren't that much more expensive than [genuine] Pelican cases.
03-02-2017, 03:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
Also because here in Denmark the low-light capabilities of the K-1 plus decent prime is almost necessary to extract some light from the long (6 months) winter night....
Hey - you there in Denmark live close to the Equator from our POV and know nothing of long winter nights. Try living and taking photographs 65° N!
03-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Hey - you there in Denmark live close to the Equator from our POV and know nothing of long winter nights. Try living and taking photographs 65° N!
I'd love to! I bet it involves a lot of artificial lighting equipment!
03-02-2017, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

This may first instance of someone handling a K-1 and not buying. Someene check the archives.
03-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This may first instance of someone handling a K-1 and not buying. Someene check the archives.
Nope... I did a few months ago.

Tried a K-1 and 150-450... I contemplated using a tripod to knock out the people in the shop and taking a run for it... that's how nice it was.
03-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nope... I did a few months ago.

Tried a K-1 and 150-450... I contemplated using a tripod to knock out the people in the shop and taking a run for it... that's how nice it was.
Yes, but being a teenager does introduce a certain bias level of not being able to pay for it (as your admission of reckless impulse demonstrates, LOL).

I handled one twice this week (the second time yesterday), but I am on holiday & not in my country or even continent of residence, so... warranty issues if something goes wrong dissuaded me from simply buying it.

I found the best thing to make the camera seem lighter was to try it with the D-FA*70-200 (huge, unwieldy, not at all what I seek in a camera) and then immediately swap over to the DA18-135. Cupped the thumb-side part of the left palm underneath to work the zoom ring with the fingers and most of the perceived extra weight immediately went away. This probably isn't a camera I'll be shooting one-handed the way I sometimes do the *istDS or K-5, especially since it tends to show up slack shooting technique in a fairly brutal way, but it's looking more and more manageable.

The body I handled in the store still had pre-square-crop firmware installed, so I didn't get to sample that feature. On the second occasion I did shoot the DA18-135 in crop and full modes to see the difference; the vignetting in full frame with the hood deployed is very, VERY noticeable against bright backgrounds, but might be missed in night shots. Of interest is that the peripheral zone does not add as much in terms of visibility of peripheral incoming objects as I thought it would. For various reasons I did not have either the DA15 or the FA50/1.4 on me the second time around.
03-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This probably isn't a camera I'll be shooting one-handed the way I sometimes do the *istDS or K-5, especially since it tends to show up slack shooting technique in a fairly brutal way, but it's looking more and more manageable.
The K-1 is no larger than the K20D was. We've been spoiled by the K-3 and K-3.