Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Handled a K-1 briefly today

It feels like a picture-taking beast, and the shutter is man, so quiet and smooth, snick snick snick.

I have some pictures taken with my FA50/1.4 on my SD card to prove the point, which I shall be examining at leisure.

The control system does, I think, everything I want it to (though I'd probably have to have it in hand for a day or so in the big wide world to really get a feel for things).

It is NOT all that much bulkier than the K-5, though yes, it is significantly larger in every respect.

HOWEVER, it is one weighty piece of kit. One immediately appreciates the difference between it, the K-5 with the same lens, card and battery (literally the same, all three were mine), and (for comparison) the MX with the same lens.

That weight (and to a lesser extent the extra volume) is a deal-breaker for day to day casual use, for someone who likes to take a camera everywhere and who has come to love and to value the (relative) compactness of even the K-5.

So... no K-1 for me until both my current DSLRs are dead.

02-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
no K-1 for me until both my current DSLRs are dead.
We all know that your existing DSLRs are probably going to last long enough to see several iterations of the K1 come and go.

My current K5IIs is nearing 150,000 clicks.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-27-2017 at 11:21 PM.
02-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Though the K-1 is a delight to hold is it not?

Everyone is going to be different but I actually don't mind the weight and I find it helps me steady the camera.
When I got the K-1, I quickly fell in love with it (some don't), I have since not even touched the K-5 (it might be time to move it on) and I do cart the K-1 everywhere. But that said, if I was tight for room and travelling light I'm lucky to have the option to take a K-01.

As Digitalis says your K-5 probably got lots of life left in it and for the money of a K-1 I'm sure you could satisfy quite a bit of LBA (although I see you have been working at it!).
02-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That weight (and to a lesser extent the extra volume) is a deal-breaker for day to day casual use, for someone who likes to take a camera everywhere and who has come to love and to value the (relative) compactness of even the K-5.
That's why I did not understand folks saying the new DFA primes are too large. Somehow, the lenses and body should be balanced.

02-27-2017, 11:18 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Soft! I have taken my K-1 and DFA*70-200 on trail runs. Get a better sling

Resistance is useless
02-28-2017, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Resistance is useless

Yes. Since typing the rash words above, I have had time for a proper look at the images on a bigger, better screen than that on the K-1's rear face, and OMG the bokeh on that 50/1.4 prime. Even if it's only shop stock behind a rather imprecisely (my fault) focused tripod as the subject.

I get home in mid-March. I've got that long to think about whether I can live with the weight on a regular basis. Time to put a heavier lens on the K-5 and get practising, LOL.

---------- Post added 28-02-17 at 03:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's why I did not understand folks saying the new DFA primes are too large. Somehow, the lenses and body should be balanced.
I saw the D-FA* 70-200. It's enormous. No. Just no. No way in Hell.

I can live with manual focus; there's a perfectly good 80-200 f/4.5 Pentax-M at home that will probably sit nicely on it.
02-28-2017, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That weight (and to a lesser extent the extra volume) is a deal-breaker for day to day casual use
For me the Pentax K1 upgrade was from K10D/K20D and hence not such an issue.

As I have big hands and heavy glass, grips on everything, the look, feel, weight, size felt similar. Together with... I also never went the more compact K5/K3 route.

May I suggest a gym membership, IMHO it's well worth the extra effort to get a K1 out there for you in the wild.

02-28-2017, 03:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Resistance is useless
Sandy
What sort of sling are you using?
02-28-2017, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
What sort of sling are you using?
I have two. The Black Rapid screwed into the camera's tripod thread is my currently preferred option with heavy lenses. When I run I keep my forearm gently over the barrel of the lens to prevent too much torque on the mount.

I haven't tried it yet, but I reckon the Peak Design system (which I'm currently only using with smaller lenses) could also work well, with one attachment on the camera's left lug and the other on the lens' tripod foot. I'll give it a whirl soon and report back!
02-28-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Build something which allows you to attach the K-1 + 70-200 on your back instead of a sling. I do trail running as well but that sounds a bit unbalanced style to haul the setup. I may be a bit clumsy but I have tripped few times on exposed tree roots and stuff.
02-28-2017, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Forum Member

I always carry K-1 + FA43 and FA77 with me.

You never know when a photo opportunity arises, and this combo is super quality without being too bulky or heavy IMO.

Also because here in Denmark the low-light capabilities of the K-1 plus decent prime is almost necessary to extract some light from the long (6 months) winter night.....

K-1 + FA43

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 05:23 AM ----------

I have two. The Black Rapid screwed into the camera's tripod thread is my currently preferred option with heavy lenses. When I run I keep my forearm gently over the barrel of the lens to prevent too much torque on the mount.

I haven't tried it yet, but I reckon the Peak Design system (which I'm currently only using with smaller lenses) could also work well, with one attachment on the camera's left lug and the other on the lens' tripod foot. I'll give it a whirl soon and report back!
Haha, didn't consider trailrunning with K-1 + DFA 70-200.... I have the Peak design Slide and it is great for walking around with k-1 + sigma 70-200 just hanging there. But for running I think I'd rather wear some sort of backpack with padding and straps to secure it firmly to my back.

Then of course it would take longer to extract the camera to capture a moment...
02-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging should step up and offer free training for Pentaxians!
These gentlemen might provide specialized training material and instructors:
US Army Special Forces (aka Green Berets) Selection & Training – Boot Camp & Military Fitness Institute
And just to see where I'm hinting at:
https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/us-army...en-beret-7.jpg
02-28-2017, 05:47 AM   #13

myself, i used the 645z for 6 months and was used to the big body.. today i prefer using the K-1 with the grip. If i want to save weight i use the K-1 with the DA 40mm
For compactness maybe the KP will suit you better
02-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It seems you would be perfectly suited for purchasing a KP...

I've got that long to think about whether I can live with the weight on a regular basis. Time to put a heavier lens on the K-5 and get practising, LOL.
KP and K-1 combo! Sell your K-5 :P

You've only handled the K-1 for a short while. You haven't yet learned to love the tilting LCD (when I get back to my K-3 on a tripod, I get mad at the fixed screen...). I could list all the design and ergonomic perks of the K-1 but you'd get tired, the list is so long. It is a camera so well desgined it's not fair for the others
02-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first time I got to handle a K1 I purchased it. I didn't intend to, but I was on a trip and stopped at a camera store that I knew would have one. The camera has good vibes about it. Since I had no wide angle lenses that weren't APS-c only, I got the 28-105 with it. I have not regretted that decision at all.

I almost always use the battery grip (fits my hands better) on my K5's and K3. I don't feel the need for the grip on the K1 so it seems a bit smaller to me. To me the image quality of the K1 says it all. My K5 and K5-IIs are gathering dust and the K3 is used as a complement to my K1. I never shoot crop mode on my K1. In low light around a campfire I would probably get out my K5 or K5-IIs as, to me, they seem to control noise better at higher ISO's that the K1.