Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,866
Replacement focusing screens now available for K-1

I notice that focusingscreen.com have finally added four different replacement screens (from Canon micro prism, split prism, cross-split prism & S type) for the K-1. The screen list can be found here: Focusing Screen

I fitted an S type in my K5 and found it a huge improvement over the standard K5 screen for MF and would like to use an S type with the K-1 (once mine's out of warranty in May).

There's been a lot of talk on the forum about replacement screens, and quite a few comments about the K-1 screen not being replaceable while others say it is. If the K-1 screen can be changed I would have to weigh up the fors/againsts in doing this if the change meant losing some of the functions available with the standard screen.

Disappointingly the website does not contain K-1 installation instructions yet, so: has anyone already changed their screen or can confirm whether the screen is actually replaceable? If it is replaceable are any of the viewfinder functions affected?

Ta for any feedback.

Tas

03-01-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,446
I would expect extra steps to be required to preserve the viewfinder overlay. Curious to find out as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,802
I'm interested! I have a number of MF lenses and found the Katzeye on my K-30 nailed manual focus much better and quicker than say, the EVF on my Sony A7.
03-01-2017, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4
npc
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 313
K-1 focusing screen is attached pretty much the same way like it is for example in K-5 ... it is actually little bit easier to remove. My K-1 came with couple of dust spots so I've removed it to blow them off and then attached it back.
The overlay is somewhere behind it, I did not had to mess with it at all.
I expect replacement focusing screens will work just fine if they are not much thicker than the original one.
If they now have the S-type for K-1 I'm going to give it a try

03-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,743
Does anyone use these with AF lenses? When shooting portraiture with shallow DOF, I sometimes miss a couple of shots because my model or I move too much, and I'd like something that helps me keep an eye on things.
03-01-2017, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
jbondo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 486
I would love an S-type as well. Wondering if switching out will cause metering issues, though. On my Canons, you must tell the camera which screen is installed when you switch or they don't meter properly.
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,802
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Does anyone use these with AF lenses? When shooting portraiture with shallow DOF, I sometimes miss a couple of shots because my model or I move too much, and I'd like something that helps me keep an eye on things.
Yep, I used MF on AF lenses on my Katzeyed K-30 for low light concert pics and critical closest-eye focus in portraits.
03-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 797
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm interested! I have a number of MF lenses and found the Katzeye on my K-30 nailed manual focus much better and quicker than say, the EVF on my Sony A7.
I found the Katzeye screens better than the focusingxcreen brand and just purchased on for my D800 and used it for a week and switched back, I was not pleased with the Q of the focusingscreen brand

03-01-2017, 05:13 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,802
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I found the Katzeye screens better than the focusingxcreen brand and just purchased on for my D800 and used it for a week and switched back, I was not pleased with the Q of the focusingscreen brand
You know, rumour has it that @Stevebrot sleeps at night on a giant mound of Katzeyes bought from them when they went out of business.

He's like Smaug from The Hobbit.
03-01-2017, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,706
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Disappointingly the website does not contain K-1 installation instructions yet, so: has anyone already changed their screen or can confirm whether the screen is actually replaceable? If it is replaceable are any of the viewfinder functions affected?
There was a user a few months back that claimed to have cut down a (IICR) Nikon screen for their K-1 and was pretty jazzed. I seem to remember that there was a question on calibration, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Does anyone use these with AF lenses?
Ummmm...yes, though it makes more sense with some lenses than with others. If the focus throw is short, one is almost better off to let the camera do the work. Similarly, if the lens is f/2 or faster, a split image will outperform even the center column (f/2.8 tuned) AF points. The same is generally true for an S-type screen. For hand-held portrait work, you may find that manual focus works well for you, though it may take some practice. You might also want to consider foregoing the narrow DOF if incidental movement is that critical.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-01-2017 at 06:08 PM.
03-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,706
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You know, rumour has it that @Stevebrot sleeps at night on a giant mound of Katzeyes bought from them when they went out of business.

He's like Smaug from The Hobbit.
I should be so lucky. I do still have a small stock of genuine Pentax shims for recent APS-C bodies however should anyone need a set.


Steve
03-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,706
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a user a few months back that claimed to have cut down a (IICR) Nikon screen for their K-1 and was pretty jazzed. I seem to remember that there was a question on calibration, however.
Found the thread:

Focussing screens for the K1 DIY split image - PentaxForums.com


Steve
03-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,444
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a user a few months back that claimed to have cut down a (IICR) Nikon screen for their K-1 and was pretty jazzed. I seem to remember that there was a question on calibration, however.
This is in essence what focusingscreen.com does. They cut down screens to fit and provide DIY instructions to replace. If you purchase your screen of choice, then use your current screen as a template to cut it down, you will have the same result for less cost. Doing this neatly and accurately requires some skill and care I would imagine, not to mention risk.
03-02-2017, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 797
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This is in essence what focusingscreen.com does. They cut down screens to fit and provide DIY instructions to replace. If you purchase your screen of choice, then use your current screen as a template to cut it down, you will have the same result for less cost. Doing this neatly and accurately requires some skill and care I would imagine, not to mention risk.
No I am pretty sure they make their own screens as the tab is in the correct place for the cameras they are designed to replace.
03-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
No I am pretty sure they make their own screens as the tab is in the correct place for the cameras they are designed to replace.
FSB, FSL and FSX screens appear to be made by (or for) them. The rest are either Canon or Nikon made, as per the comparison page:
Focusing Screen
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, guide, k-1, k1, k5, pentax k-1, prism, replaceable, replacement, screen, screens, type, types
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focusing screens for K-50 necessary? tyuska Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 05-12-2016 09:50 PM
K-3 Focus Screens for Manual Focusing fwcetus Pentax K-3 12 05-30-2015 06:02 PM
KatzEye Optics: Pentax K-3 Focusing Screens Now Available FireDog Pentax News and Rumors 12 12-03-2013 11:55 PM
Different Focusing screens for K-X idkjai Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 11-13-2010 11:18 PM
Are replacement focus screens available for the Program Plus? spinwards Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 11-03-2009 02:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top