Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My own thoughts are that 645Z quality can be reached with properly executed K-1 PS file. PS may even be a bit better in studio environment with still life subjects. But when PS cannot be used properly (and some competitions do not even allow it to be used...) it cannot be used. And that is where 50MP MF sweeps the floor with 36MP FF should the given lens selection work with subject at hand.

I would be more interested in adapting Zeiss MF glass to GFX, Cambo monorail bellows and native 4:3 aspect ratio than pure IQ viewpoint against K-1.

03-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You do not buy a medium format camera for pixel count alone. Get an ALPA with Live View Phase One back and you have 100MP today and 200MP tomorrow - all RGB, or get a monochrome back, ... Fuji has some 50MP single shot. Price and form factor are similar to top 35mm gear, but pixels cover more area, focus perfromance is quite different as well as lens selection.
You're talking a system with 3 notso hotso lenses and no legacy glass. But you knew that.

But being the newest release, the image quality is top notch. Next release of the 645z I'm sure they will catch up and surpass. That's just the way these things work. It would have been a total disaster if they had not come out on top.
Fuji GFX First Shots: The best lab images we’ve ever seen

Pixel shift (left) Pixel shift off (right)

Fuji (left) 645z (right)

Look at the images and decide, how much would you pay for that level of improvement. That is the one and only question.

If I were selling wall mural size prints for around 20 grand per pop I would definitely consider the Fuji. But, I'm not so I'm not.
03-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Here's a try...

Access the pictures via selecting the directory (as any other software)
I've found that as long as the directory is not choke full of files, RT works fast, so I will split files into a few folders to keep things going fast.

For PixS files, the Demosaicing tab is where we can select the algo used (so select "pixelshift" as shown here)

I've found that leaving Motion Correction as Automatic often works very well with v5 of RT (it was less so on the v4 PixS branch of the software)
There is a Show Motion checkbox that is checked to show what the program thinks needs to be masked (ie. it will use only 1 layer for those parts)

I'm tending towards just leaving on Auto, checking that the mask is not masking off too much and thats the end of it wrt me doing any PixS actions. (because v5 on auto works well in most cases)

Selecting "Custom" opens up all the masking options.

As you can see, there are loads of options. (but I am finding less need to use them since v5)

Forum user "heckflosse" who works on the RT gave very good info on them here :
Pixel Shifted Images - Page 21 - PentaxForums.com

"Currently the 3x3 new (we should find a better name for it, I just chose this name because it was new at that time) is the way to go for motion correction in rt imho. It's the only method which allows the options 'Fill Holes', 'Blur' and 'smooth transitions'. For pixel shift images without motion it may be better to choose 'Motion correction off' and for images with very little motion you should try to disable 'check red/blue cross' to get as much details as possible"

If you have LR or can get hold of the camera profiles, it can be used by RT.
This is the tab to do it (under Color Management ) :

Similarly, LR Lens Profiles can be loaded here:

You can save all the settings as Custom Profiles, so that you load them with all the settings that you want at a click.
For Example,
I'd often use a custom profile set as "Pixel Shift -Landscape -auto" - which has the Pentax "Landscape" color profile, Pixel Shift, custom curve/sharpening/other adj
Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining! I'll definitely try the new RT.
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have a Pentax K1 and just love it. My pixel shift images absolutely blow me away. I think my K1 will be my main camera for years to come - I don't see myself changing to another system anytime soon.

On the Internet we're all reading lots of chatter about the newly released Fuji medium format, 51MP camera the "GFX 50S". I'm sensing lots of excitement about it. I know long time Nikonians who are selling their D810s and moving to the Fuji GFX 50S.

It's certainly too early to expect comparisons of this new medium format camera to other cameras, but I'd hope that in the near future someone does a direct comparison of Pentax K1 Pixel Shift images to Fuji GFX images. I would be very interesting in seeing how K1 pixel shift images compare to GFX images.

The GFX does not have pixel shift, therefore, I might expect from a perceived sharpness standpoint, the two might be fairly close. However, being a medium format camera, I expect that the Fuji GFX would likely better the K1 in dynamic range and 3D-like rendering at wide apertures.

Also, I expect that you Pentaxians with Pentax's medium format digital cameras would love to see comparisons between your Pentax medium format digital cameras and the Fuji GFX too.

If any of you do see such comparisons posted on the Internet somewhere, please do share the link with all of us here at the Pentax Forum.

Meanwhile, I'd be interested to hear your take on the Fuji GFX (will you buy it, how do you think it will compare with your cameras, etc.).

Thank you...
I like the GFX and I think Fuji id going in the right direction. I think the 1st generation GFX is going to be a good camera. I don't think it is going to be a great camera. Its not quite there yet. If the glass that you need is available in K-mount then I think the K-1 is the winner for applications where pixel shift can be used, or where faster AF is needed, or where you need tank like build quality.

I'm glad Fuji is jumping into the market. Hopefully it will force Ricoh to put more energy into the market. A 645z with pixel shift or a full sized 645 sensor and new glass are needed.

03-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're talking a system with 3 notso hotso lenses and no legacy glass. But you knew that.
Yes norm, with a few more lenses coming later in 2017, another 2/3 I believe.

However, no legacy glass?....the adapters are available for quite a few different brand lenses...Fotodiox Pro adapters( 5 different mounts) and Fuji will have and adapter for Hasselbad H series....nothing wrong with manual focus!

Announced today another 5 adapters by Fotodiox including the Pentax 645 mount.

Last edited by surfar; 03-06-2017 at 02:35 AM. Reason: updated
03-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yup, MILC is part adapting business. And legacy glass is excellent in many ways here.
03-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

But being the newest release, the image quality is top notch. Next release of the 645z I'm sure they will catch up and surpass. That's just the way these things work. It would have been a total disaster if they had not come out on top.
Fuji GFX First Shots: The best lab images we’ve ever seen

Pixel shift (left) Pixel shift off (right)

Fuji (left) 645z (right)

Look at the images and decide, how much would you pay for that level of improvement. That is the one and only question.

If I were selling wall mural size prints for around 20 grand per pop I would definitely consider the Fuji. But, I'm not so I'm not.
and yet the fuji has the cleanest/most detailed image just take a look at the cheeks of the guy in the bottle.

now you keep mentioning that pentax has legacy glass... why does that really matter? so what you are saying is pentax only has old glass and they cant improve anything? in the past 7 years they can only come up with only 3 lenses?
03-06-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
and yet the fuji has the cleanest/most detailed image just take a look at the cheeks of the guy in the bottle.

now you keep mentioning that pentax has legacy glass... why does that really matter? so what you are saying is pentax only has old glass and they cant improve anything? in the past 7 years they can only come up with only 3 lenses?
Always interesting when people tell me what I said.

For those of us who have ben around for years, and have seen the flops of the high resolution freaks, who thought they had to have more resolution, and compared images etc. the difference between a 645z and the Fuji is ridiculously small. It might be impressive to newbs.

We have seen tests where people couldn't tell the difference between prints made with a K-5 and prints made with a D800. In those images,pixel peeping there was detail on the D800 pixel peeper that wasn't even visible on the K-5 images. On the D800 pixel peeper you could count fabric thread, on the K-5 you couldn't even see the threads. Yet those two cameras in many instances produced identical out put. That was a big difference that made no difference. What you are pointing to is a fraction of that, and it will make even less difference to the output. For god sakes man, act like you've been around for a while.

What is important to people is that they can display fantastic images with what they have. Everyone from APS-c can do that. There is simply no system, print of screen, where you can display those two images 645z and Fuji, where it will be apparent which is which. Only by blowing up the image to ridiculous proportions never to be seen in real life do you see any difference at all.

Funny, when in the last 7 years coming up with three lenses is bad, but in the whole life of the company coming up with 3 lenses is good.

Why does legacy glass matter? Not everyone has unlimited funds like you appear to.
$15,000 for a camera with three available lenses..and nothing over 120mm. I wouldn't buy a Full Frame or APC with that availability of lenses. But I already have functional 55mm and 75mm legacy landscape lenses just waiting for a digital body.

So, I'm curious, do you have $15,000 CDN lying around to blow on this camera or are you just blowing smoke out your......

The ante is pretty high to get into this game.

Bottom line, if you are starting from nothing, you are young and are looking for a system to last you years with lots of time to grow into it, maybe this, and the pathetic number of lenses available works for you, the Fuji system might be a go. But I would never advise anyone to buy into a system site unseen if it didn't do everything I want out the gate. That would be irresponsible.

For most of us, we just aren't in a position to drop that kind of money for that kind of system. Especially since for my purposes, it would be no better than my K-3 and lot more limited for a lot more money. The three less 32mm to 120mm, about the same as one lens, the 28-105 on my K-1. That's ridiculous. IN most cases, $8000 CDN instead of $500 CDN to do the same thing.

But if I can ever find a 645D or 645z at a bargain price, I'll buy one, just to dabble with.

Last edited by normhead; 03-06-2017 at 08:29 AM.
03-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're talking a system with 3 notso hotso lenses and no legacy glass.
What makes the 3 Fuji GFX lenses "notso hotso"? They are designed for the upcoming 100MP Sony sensor and all of the reviews I have read have been very positive. Have you read some reviews that say otherwise?
03-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What makes the 3 Fuji GFX lenses "notso hotso"? They are designed for the upcoming 100MP Sony sensor and all of the reviews I have read have been very positive. Have you read some reviews that say otherwise?
What 100MP Sony sensor are you talking about? The only one I know of is a full frame sensor used in the Phase One back. But that sensor is incompatible with both the Fuji & Hasselblad mirrorless mount designs (but is compatible with the Pentax 645).
03-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What 100MP Sony sensor are you talking about? The only one I know of is a full frame sensor used in the Phase One back. But that sensor is incompatible with both the Fuji & Hasselblad mirrorless mount designs (but is compatible with the Pentax 645).
Fuji made the comment in an interview that they were designing the GFX lenses to resolve the coming Sony 100MP sensor. This means we should also see a 77MP +/- FF sensor for K-mount.

A 100MP FF sensor with 4 pixel binning would do close to the same thing as pixel shift, but in a single exposure.
03-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

At least GFX surfaced with 3 Fuji brand lenses. Not 3 rebranded bubblegum Tamrons. After a year of K-1 we have one new Pentax lens on the near horizon. Habbelsad H-lens adapter by Fuji is nothing to sneeze at either - the glass is superb.
03-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
At least GFX surfaced with 3 Fuji brand lenses. Not 3 rebranded bubblegum Tamrons. After a year of K-1 we have one new Pentax lens on the near horizon. Habbelsad H-lens adapter by Fuji is nothing to sneeze at either - the glass is superb.
Humm that's interesting how the number of lenses released and supposedly knowing the manufacturer of the lens impact the image quality you get per dollar paid. I agree, for any camera, there is always a brand bias effect, if you know the photo was taken with a Leica by a famous photographer, before seeing the photo you are already impressed.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 19:02 ----------

So, I'm curious, do you have $15,000 CDN lying around to blow on this camera or are you just blowing smoke out your......
Depends what the application is. With a K1 you can potentially print A0 to cover the wall of your living room in high definition images, but with a GFX you print larger than A0, then you have to find a larger wall.
Although, if this high resolution was needed only one or two times, you'd be better off stitching 4 images from a K1, all you need is computing power. I already tried to manage to produce a 200Mpixel image but my computer went smoking hot, so I decided that 70Mpixels would be good enough, finally I wanted to send it for printing but the file exceeded the max allow file size, so, I did not print. For gigapixels images , buying a small robot such as gigapan is a lot cheaper than medium format.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.
03-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Hm? No. Pentax came out with K-1 to make amends with glass collectors or trying to start a new era? That is the question. Brand glass gives promise of commitment to the system. In this way Fuji APS-C X-series began and look at it now - lenses for all kinds of purposes in few years.

Sure, there is already a pile of old Pentax lenses out there but is it enough to lure in new users from competitors? I doubt it. Having hard time to understand the vision behind K-1.
03-06-2017, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Having hard time to understand the vision behind K-1.
I think most of us get the vision just fine.