Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Astrotracer woes - how do I get it to work?

No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get Astrotracer to work on my K1. Tonight would have been awesome for some astrophotography, but here, let me show you my results after calibrating it 3 times in a row. Here's a 10 second one, using the Pentax app on my phone, the tripod sitting in the yard, astrotracer supposedly calibrated (and recalibrated, and recalibrated). I was a good 20 feet from the camera so not to induce any shake. So, what am I doing wrong? I should be able to get great results with this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many people miss the simple fact that you must turn on the GPS receiver by pushing the button on the right side of the viewfinder hump. It will glow orange when it is turned on.
03-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Be super careful when you calibrate. My trick is to sit down while I do it and turn it very carefully along only one axis at a time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I failed to turn on the bulb timer the first time I went out and shot.

03-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you use mirror up or LV Electronic Shutter ?
03-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Unregistered User

I made an instruction in pdf format but it is in swedish... And after reading the google translated version I just posted I descided to take it down. It needs a human translation.

Important is to always calibrate with LCD in home position. And when running AT it has to be in home position. Setting up the shot, use the LCD in all angles you wan´t.

If it does not work, make the exact calibration again, and/or shorten the exposure time.
03-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What FL did you shoot this at?

03-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Many people miss the simple fact that you must turn on the GPS receiver by pushing the button on the right side of the viewfinder hump. It will glow orange when it is turned on.
I did that and get the orange light.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Be super careful when you calibrate. My trick is to sit down while I do it and turn it very carefully along only one axis at a time.
I will try sitting next time.
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I failed to turn on the bulb timer the first time I went out and shot.
I was using bulb mode for astrotracer
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Did you use mirror up or LV Electronic Shutter ?
I was using my phone with image synch
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I made an instruction in pdf format but it is in swedish... And after reading the google translated version I just posted I descided to take it down. It needs a human translation.

Important is to always calibrate with LCD in home position. And when running AT it has to be in home position. Setting up the shot, use the LCD in all angles you wan´t.

If it does not work, make the exact calibration again, and/or shorten the exposure time.
THat's how I did with the K3 and K5 using the OGPS-1
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
What FL did you shoot this at?
280mm. It was the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 + Pentax HD DA 1.4 TC.
03-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your ability to shoot long exposures is reduced by the focal length - 10 seconds isnt very long but I believe if you take the suggested maximum and cut it in half you get best results.

Review this excellent thread and particularly this post for some insight.
03-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
your ability to shoot long exposures is reduced by the focal length - 10 seconds isnt very long but I believe if you take the suggested maximum and cut it in half you get best results.

Review this excellent thread and particularly this post for some insight.
I still should get at least a minute from it. If all goes well on my next attempt either Tuesday or Wednesday evening I plan on doing ~30 second sub exposures and then trying to stack them.
03-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup.. which is why you ought to look through that thread. The Astrotracer is a ticklish beast.
03-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I did that and get the orange light.

I will try sitting next time.

I was using bulb mode for astrotracer

I was using my phone with image synch

THat's how I did with the K3 and K5 using the OGPS-1

280mm. It was the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 + Pentax HD DA 1.4 TC.
Just to be clear, you were not only in bulb mode but also turned on the bulb timer (I think it's set to the green button when astrotracer is on)?
03-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Just to be clear, you were not only in bulb mode but also turned on the bulb timer (I think it's set to the green button when astrotracer is on)?
I was in bulb mode and using the phone as a controller. When using it as a controller in bulb mode you tap the button for the shutter once to open it, then tap it again to close it. That way you don't even have to touch the camera because you're connected via wifi.
03-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in bulb mode and using the phone as a controller. When using it as a controller in bulb mode you tap the button for the shutter once to open it, then tap it again to close it. That way you don't even have to touch the camera because you're connected via wifi.
Right, I think this is your problem. When I wasn't using the bulb timer I was getting shots like these too.
03-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
Unregistered User

Sounds to me that you are not in Astrotracer mode but in normal bulb.

---------- Post added 03-06-17 at 08:08 AM ----------

I can't get the WiFi app to work when Astrotracer is enabled... Only bulb and bulb timer works. Are you sure Astrotracer is enabled?

---------- Post added 03-06-17 at 08:11 AM ----------

When in the app, do you have the B or a comet looking symbol up to the left?