Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 968
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
My understanding is that the Sigma lenses with problems don't meet the published K mount spec. That's why Sigma is fixing the problem for free. It was just luck that these lenses worked on previous models.

I think it speaks well of Sigma as a company that they're fixing the problem but it was their mistake not Pentax's or anything Ricoh "altered".

The K mount was never "altered" in any way as it has been the same since they licensed it long ago. What has changed though was the clearance above the mount when Pentax made the K1. The body has a small slope just above the mount and this will affect the lenses that have a fatter rear mount for certain Sigma lenses. As the teleconverter was not in the original list, TC can contact Sigma to see if there is a fix available.

03-09-2017, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,706
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I still maintain it is not Sigmas fault.
As there are no reports of Pentax lenses, new or legacy, having this problem how can it not be a Sigma 'fault'? The odd thing is why aren't all the Sigma lenses causing problems, have they made different size mounts?
03-09-2017, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,126
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
As the teleconverter was not in the original list, TC can contact Sigma to see if there is a fix available.
Mrs Rupert can "fix" this "horrendous problem" in a hurry...just like she did for me. You pay transportation cost and I'll send her to you....but you won't like the cure any more than I did.
Funny thing though, after being slapped silly, I went on to use my horribly damaged scratch infested K1 without the slightest notice of the massive defect. In fact, only this most informative thread brought it back to my attention. I was so afraid that I might not sleep a wink last night after re-living the nightmare...but amazingly, I slept like a baby!

My hope is that those here whose lives have been devastated by this teeny tiny scratch will too eventually find peace and comfort once again with their beloved K1, even if it will always seem like an ugly stepchild after this disastrous experience.

Regards!
03-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,459
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I can well understand the frustration, It is a bummer alright.

But let me be perfectly frank that nobody should blame Sigma for the problem.
If Ricoh alter the clearance just above the mount years after Sigma manufactured
lenses successfully to fit Pentax cameras I would find it hard to blame Sigma for the dilemma.

If Sigma repairs the problem free of charge it is nothing less than good will they are extending
to their customers. Don't get to demanding toward Sigma in your request to have it fixed.
If anything, it may just strengthen their resolve to stay away from Pentax.

Cheers
I'm really uncertain why you think Ricoh should be responsible for compatibility of equipment they don't manufacture.

03-10-2017, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I can well understand the frustration, It is a bummer alright.

But let me be perfectly frank that nobody should blame Sigma for the problem.
If Ricoh alter the clearance just above the mount years after Sigma manufactured
lenses successfully to fit Pentax cameras I would find it hard to blame Sigma for the dilemma.

If Sigma repairs the problem free of charge it is nothing less than good will they are extending
to their customers. Don't get to demanding toward Sigma in your request to have it fixed.
If anything, it may just strengthen their resolve to stay away from Pentax.

Cheers
Sigma refuse to pay the licence and information related to K-mount like such details. Pentax is in no way interrested to help sigma, on the contrary.

Who ever you make responsible ethically, for Pentax sigma is just parasiting their echosystem and they'll not provide support for sigma lenses. That really not their problem.

Maybe they even did it on purpose.
03-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
My understanding is that the Sigma lenses with problems don't meet the published K mount spec.
There is no such thing as a "published K mount spec". Unfortunately, nearly every camera manufacturer treats their individual lens mount specification as a trade secret, either not licensing it at all to others or licensing it at unknown and presumably very unattractive conditions.

This is a severe hindrance for lens development, leading to completely unneccessary redundancy and holes in lens lineups.

It were a great thing, were camera manufacturers obligated to publish at least some basic specifications for 3rd party manufacturers.

And especially the Kaf4 mount would be very interesting in that case, since being without mechanical couplers it would be quite easy to change the construction of a lens designed for Canon's EF mount - a differently shaped bayonet ring with different contacts, a different microcontroller in the lens with firmware adapted to Pentax' needs. That would be all. Thus third party lens manufacturers should be eager to adopt that specific mount, since it's the less hassle of all Pentax AF mounts to adapt a lens to it.
03-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,639
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I still maintain it is not Sigmas fault.
Agreed. Though it is not clearly Pentax's fault either. Sigma has acknowledged variation in the rear-end construction of several of their lenses. The lack of clearance is not consistently present within affected models. It may be argued that Pentax should have not pushed the clearance as tightly as they did and I tend to agree. I suspect that there are many legacy lenses and accessories that will not cleanly mount. Time to warm up the Dremel


Steve
03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,459
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
There is no such thing as a "published K mount spec". Unfortunately, nearly every camera manufacturer treats their individual lens mount specification as a trade secret, either not licensing it at all to others or licensing it at unknown and presumably very unattractive conditions.

This is a severe hindrance for lens development, leading to completely unneccessary redundancy and holes in lens lineups.

It were a great thing, were camera manufacturers obligated to publish at least some basic specifications for 3rd party manufacturers.

And especially the Kaf4 mount would be very interesting in that case, since being without mechanical couplers it would be quite easy to change the construction of a lens designed for Canon's EF mount - a differently shaped bayonet ring with different contacts, a different microcontroller in the lens with firmware adapted to Pentax' needs. That would be all. Thus third party lens manufacturers should be eager to adopt that specific mount, since it's the less hassle of all Pentax AF mounts to adapt a lens to it.
Pentax is one of the few companies that didn't patent their lens mount. The K-Mount is available to anyone with no licencing fees. Sigma's problem is that they aren't paying attention to the specs.

03-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
dbs
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 200
Hi All

I do not own a K1 but do own a Sigma 70 -200 which now is a problem ,but never has been on my K5 11.
The K Mount is not the problem it is the body design in which it sits,and as has been stated before the K1 's body has less room to mount a lens before it hits the body.
As others have stated it is not a new problem different bodies and lenses don't always like each other,but still take great photo's.
Get a sharpie and move on.

Dave
03-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
It were a great thing, were camera manufacturers obligated to publish at least some basic specifications for 3rd party manufacturers.
Manufacturers make their money on lenses and give camera for cheap price, in particular if you wait a bit after the release.

As a consequence, on purpose they have their own mount that is kept as incompatible as possible with the others so they are sure other lenses wont fit and once you are invested in the brand, you'll not want to switch.
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kameko's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: White Rock
Photos: Albums
Posts: 449
Original Poster
I honestly don't care who's fault it is, I'm not placing blame on either company. I just spoke with Gentec Canada and they will replace the mount free of charge. The delayed response from them was because they were waiting to hear back as to whether the scratch on my camera is still eligible for the repair. It's not a concern of mine, so I'll be happy with the replacement mount.

For those who feel I'm overreacting, it has been confirmed that by not replacing the mount on the affected Sigma lenses, it creates contact issues as well as added stress/strain between the camera and lens mount, which was my only concern.
03-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,126
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
For those who feel I'm overreacting, it has been confirmed that by not replacing the mount on the affected Sigma lenses, it creates contact issues as well as added stress/strain between the camera and lens mount, which was my only concern.
Who confirmed that? It is such a tiny little scratch that if the K1 is that poorly constructed, it will fall apart long before the scratch could possibly do any damage. I use my Bigma 50-500 many times a day and there is not the slightest evidence that that little scratch causes any harm whatsoever. It may be the depth of the thickness of a human hair...maybe? If a lens is mounted it is not possible to see it, so even cosmetically it is not a factor.....unless of course you shoot with no lens? Give us some evidence of this disastrous defect causing significant damage ......or overreacting is the correct word.

I'm not spoiling for a fight, just looking for some sanity and I don't see much here.

Regards!
03-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,142
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
... just looking for some sanity and I don't see much here
If you are looking for sanity, come to me. I can provide the whole spectrum !

By the way, I reckon my 150-450 puts more strain on the mount then the Sigma's 1.4x TC will ever do.
03-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,126
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
If you are looking for sanity, come to me. I can provide the whole spectrum !
Let's look at it from another perspective. You get a new Lexus...or whatever brand you cherish...and discover that in installing the license plates a teeny tiny scratch is made where the plate mounts, it is under it and not visible when the plate is installed over it.

Naturally, this hair-like scratch maybe 1/4 inch long has dire consequences for the performance of the car and must be remedied. I mean, this could cause a catastrophic failure of the entire drive train of the auto...right?
The dealer and mfg offer a remedy...send it back for repairs and spend a few weeks...or longer walking to work or taking a bus. Your planned vacation will be in a rental car, probably a sub compact nothing like your glorious Lexus...but you do what you gotta do....right again???

Is that sanity...or insanity?

Regards!
03-15-2017, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,524
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect that there are many legacy lenses and accessories that will not cleanly mount. Time to warm up the Dremel
And on what are these suspicions based?

I haven't seen any indication even one legacy lens won't mount correctly on a K-1. My suspicion is that if there was one, we would have heard of it by now.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1, sigma, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Flucard Incompatibility With Win10 EckoEric Visitors' Center 5 04-06-2016 01:45 PM
K-30 and Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 flash incompatibility donfenix Pentax K-30 & K-50 61 07-06-2013 07:38 AM
K-30 and Metz mecablitz 50 AF-2 flash incompatibility lister6520 Pentax K-30 & K-50 6 06-18-2013 10:45 PM
Lens shade incompatibility! 18-55mm vs 18-55mm WR PALADIN85020 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-07-2010 07:56 PM
DA 35 Limited - Filter Incompatibility Sailor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 04-11-2009 03:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top