Chris Shaffer reviews Pentax K-1

03-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superpowerpinger Quote
THanks for sharing. Good reviews
03-14-2017, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wearing a baseball cap backwards is bad enough but inside the house?
03-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blah .... he's too young to know a thing in camera gear ...

(Joking really) Was a good review !

03-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. He seems to like the K-1. But....I think Chris is wrong about the articulating screen. I much prefer the Pentax innovation there to the flimsy version on other DSLRs
03-14-2017, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure he really knows enough to be writing reviews. He says that Ricoh should have put 4K in the K-1 since 4K is only 8MP and the sensor is capable of it. 4K is not an option and it has nothing to do with Ricoh deciding not to implement it. None of the cameras that use the 36MP sensor shoot 4K. This is an old sensor that doesn't support 4K. Neither the Sony A7r nor the Nikon D810 support 4K. He seems to think its simply a question of resolution. Shooting 8MP and 30fps takes a lot of bandwidth and processing power. The hardware is not in the K-1 (or the D810 or the A7r) to shoot 4K.

Overall its a positive review, but I think there are a few things about the K-1 that he needs to look into.
03-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure he really knows enough to be writing reviews. He says that Ricoh should have put 4K in the K-1 since 4K is only 8MP and the sensor is capable of it. 4K is not an option and it has nothing to do with Ricoh deciding not to implement it. None of the cameras that use the 36MP sensor shoot 4K. This is an old sensor that doesn't support 4K. Neither the Sony A7r nor the Nikon D810 support 4K. He seems to think its simply a question of resolution. Shooting 8MP and 30fps takes a lot of bandwidth and processing power. The hardware is not in the K-1 (or the D810 or the A7r) to shoot 4K.

Overall its a positive review, but I think there are a few things about the K-1 that he needs to look into.
He's been shooting with it for a year. His images speak for themselves. I think he's plenty qualified to review the camera.

Plus, a quick search of YouTube shows few (too few for me anyway...) results for the K-1 or Pentax in general. I was happy to find his review.

Cheers!

03-14-2017, 06:53 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 1434 Quote
He's been shooting with it for a year. His images speak for themselves. I think he's plenty qualified to review the camera.

Plus, a quick search of YouTube shows few (too few for me anyway...) results for the K-1 or Pentax in general. I was happy to find his review.

Cheers!
So for a year he has not understood that the lack of 4K video is not simply a decision by Ricoh not to implement it. There are a couple of things about his gear review that he gets wrong, or features that he does not fully understand.
I know several photographers who are very talented, but don't know very much about gear. Being a talented photographer doesn't make you an expert on equipment. The review appears to be targeting his followers on social media and people who are interesting in photography as a hobby which explains the simplistic nature, but it would be nice if he got the technical facts about the camera correct.

Pentax probably does need more reviews on YouTube, and glad he is making the effort. I just wish he would have put more work in fact checking his Pros & Cons.
03-14-2017, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Photos: Albums
So for a year he has not understood that the lack of 4K video is not simply a decision by Ricoh not to implement it. There are a couple of things about his gear review that he gets wrong, or features that he does not fully understand.
I know several photographers who are very talented, but don't know very much about gear. Being a talented photographer doesn't make you an expert on equipment. The review appears to be targeting his followers on social media and people who are interesting in photography as a hobby which explains the simplistic nature, but it would be nice if he got the technical facts about the camera correct.

Pentax probably does need more reviews on YouTube, and glad he is making the effort. I just wish he would have put more work in fact checking his Pros & Cons.
No wonder Pentaxians have such a touchy rep...

It's just a YouTube video from an owner, nothing more. But I guess I get your point.
03-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A User Review (from a user who know how to shoot, process and has a following).
He likes it too.

In conclusion he says:
"I wouldn't want to trade it for anything else"
So sounds good to me.

BTW, can someone let him know that he should try Raw Therapee v5 for the pixel shift.
03-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we on the forum get bombarded with technical stuff, but it probably doesn't matter too much to most photographers.

It really was a big question in the lead up to the K-1, because it was uncertain if Pentax was going to go with the 36 megapixel, older sensor that they ended up going with versus the newer 42 megapixel sensor that is in the A7r. The second one is a little better high iso and is capable of 4K video, the first is a little better in low iso situations and can't do 4K. I think Pentax chose 36 megapixels purely over it being cheaper and the fact that they have never done a lot with video anyway (hopefully that changes over time).
03-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never used the video function of my K1. For video I use a Panasonic video camera - a device made for that purpose. It would be interesting to see how many other Pentax users never use their cameras for video work.

What compromises to the photographic quality/ability of a camera must be made to improve the video capability? Is it just a question of cost?
03-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I have never used the video function of my K1. For video I use a Panasonic video camera - a device made for that purpose. It would be interesting to see how many other Pentax users never use their cameras for video work.

What compromises to the photographic quality/ability of a camera must be made to improve the video capability? Is it just a question of cost?
I think by definition, SLRs are not going to be as good at video as camcorders, at least from an ergonomic standpoint. To get a truly steady cam feel, you need to have quite the rig. That said, a lot of independent videographers use SLRs for at least some of their shots, because they are one of the cheaper ways to get shallow depth of field, high quality footage.

Most modern dSLR sensors are capable of HD video, although not all can do 4K video. Improvement in video quality probably would require improvement in the codec used and probably the addition of sensors that could do 4K video. Probably should add focus peaking in video modes as well.

I have occasionally used the video capability on my SLRs to capture video when I didn't have a camcorder handy. It works, but it is definitely not as easy shooting video with a camcorder. But I'm not making fine art, just family movies.
03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have occasionally used the video capability on my SLRs to capture video when I didn't have a camcorder handy. It works, but it is definitely not as easy shooting video with a camcorder. But I'm not making fine art, just family movies.
Exactly. For simple movies, my K-1 works fine. I have been using my D-FA 28-105 and it is adequate for me. Everything does not have to be perfect.
03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've had several video cameras since 1989 but no longer take video. If I really have a need for video while out and about, I have my iPhone - although I did recently try the K-5.