Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoodman 3.2" loupe

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Any one any views on this accessory on the k-1 ?

To be honest I tend to just use the eyepiece, probably because I've so often struggled to see enough detail on the LCD. Fiddling with the LCD, zooming in/out trying to see detail has seemed too fiddly, so I tend to just bracket if I'm unsure about the focus. Plus using the LCD does drain the battery a little too much at times. BUT, I do wonder if the Hoodman loupe might actually be useful. I'm planning to visit the NEC photo show tomorrow and I'll take a look, but if anyone has any views I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks.

03-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not on K1 but I do use a Matin loupe, similar to Hoodman but 2x mag. For those times when absolutely critical focus required and just as importantly when you have the time to use i.e. Studio, contemplative work then it can be a very handy tool
Matin M-6296 2x View Finder: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
03-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the simple 3.2" Hoodman Loupe shown HERE with the eyecup on my K-01. It hangs around my neck most of the time; when I need LCD clarity I Press-hold the camera up to my eye and shoot the regular way. When I'm using a tripod or when there's persistent sun I attach the Loupe with the bungee cord (Cinema Strap) shown there.

The Press-hold is somewhat awkward but using the Loupe bungeed is great.
03-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tony and Monochrome. I visited the show today, tried the Hoodman and bought one. Not the collapsible one as I thought this was not as robust. Like you, Monochrome, this is how I expect to use it. I didn't buy the bungee style cord as I expect I'll just pop it over every now and again. Will see. I'll report back how it goes ...