Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 and Yongnuo RF603II

Has anyone used this combination and got the trigger stuck unfortunately I did but managed to removed it with a heat pack. Haven't been game enough to put it back on. I noticed one of the pins up the front would fit into the hollow spacing on the left hand side of the shoe mount would it be bad if I taped or filed this pin off? Only new to trigger use on flashes so need a little help. I have a Pentax AF-540fgz and a YN560III which is meant to be able to contact the triggers. I purchased 3 of the little darlings so wondering if I have wasted my money?
Thanks in advance.

03-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL trust me to put it on backwards argh thanks so much for taking the time to answer I really appreciate it. So I may have got the wrong one it appears anyhow so I should have got the Nikon version but bought the canon cable is that correct? Thanks again.
03-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
You put it on backwards and a non retractable pin went into the hole that Pentax uses to lock its flashes. Look at your 540 foot and move the locking lever back and forth, you'll see it retracts.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I've done it too on a K5 body. Had to destructively disassemble the trigger to remove. Also, I couldn't get the Canon version to work, had to get the Nikon version. The pin layouts, the spacing is different between versions.

Incidentally, after a 540 died and was unrepairable, I sold the other and now have a flash bag with 4 YN560 III's (A to D) and a 560TX plus the 603 II triggers. The 560 is a real handy dandy, easy to use remote power and zoom. There's another Buff monolight in my immediate future but I'll never spend $400 on a speed lit again. Shot an event yesterday with flagged (black foamie thing) 560's on both bodies.
Ok makes the world of difference when you put it on the right way. So I put the transmitter on the right way then the Pentax AF-540fgz onto that and transmitted to the YN560III and both flashes triggered beautifully I wonder why yours aren't? The only thing I noticed is my trigger isn't fitting snug into the shoe with only about 1/2mm if even that out so I wonder if that is enough to allow what needs to be contacted to contact. Thanks again so much.
03-21-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The Canon cable is the right one. Here are photographs of both versions. On my K5 and K5IIs bodies at the time, I couldn't get the Canon version to work.
It's a mystery.
Yes mine are the same as the one in the red box to the left very strange indeed. Thanks so much for going to all of this trouble.

03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

I'm using the Nikon version - but have modified it. Since just one of the contacts on the bottom of the device is really needed, I've removed all other contacts. To do so, it's necessary to disassemble the device and to remove the PCB inside it - carefully, because the contacts are spring-loaded with separate and quite flimsy springs. The one contact that has to remain is the center contact, all others can be removed (both the spring and the metal thingy) and put aside.

Thus there's no chance of one of the contacts getting stuck in the camera's hotshoe.

Alas, one needs the Canon cable (with a 2.5mm stereo plug on both ends) to use with a Pentax camera.