Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm checking into the Gorrilla Glass protector that felixkh mentioned in post 3954449 to see if they ship to the US but my fall-back is the Amazon source that Scorpio71GR mentioned in post 3954146 since it is available here (the US). Amazon shows several options including a "glass" one so I may order that to see what I get. I have an order into B&H for a glass cover (that I placed when I got my K-1) but it's been on back-order for some time so don't know what I'll get in the end there. Will report back on the Gorrilla protector if I here back from the supplier. Again, thanks for all the suggestions and references.

03-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always stick to Vikuiti (a brand of 3M, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing).
They offer also non glare film for the K-1.
Vikuiti screen protector | protectionfilms24.com

Since the Glass protector of my K-5 broke when the camera just tip over, i prefer film instead of glass.
AMR2000 in the past, now the successor DQCM30. And ADQC27 for AF-360FGZ.
04-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I ended up with an "Expert Shield" "Glass" LCD protector. I didn't hear anything back from the overseas company advertising gorrilla glass, so went with Amazon who lists the Expert Shield line of protectors here in the US. They have several so I chose the one listed as "glass" (advertised as tempered glass) since I wanted good scratch resistant protection.

It arrived in a rigid plastic carrier which held the protector in a foam sleeve, instructions, and a small section of microfiber for cleaning the LCD before installation. The directions are precise and emphasize cleaning the LCD well before the install. The protector has a plastic overlay with a tab on the "sticky" side. The overlay peels off and you carefully align and lay the protector on the LCD. It looks like an aggressive bacteria eating up the screen as the silicon adhesive takes hold from one side to the other, but when done, the protector is in place and you can't tell it's there - good product. Expert Shield offers a lifetime warranty and technical help if needed.

They mention that the protector can be removed if necessary and re-installed - handy if something is trapped under it by accident.

I found out after-the-fact that the K-1 LCD has a tempered glass enclosure so all should be well for some time with both that and the external protector affording it protection. It's still nice to know that the protector will take any scratches that can still happen with glass, rather than the LCD itself.

The price was $20US and the Amazon link is:http://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.amazon.com/Expert-Shield-Screen-Prot...SpGMA5agXeURtw

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-03-2017 at 01:20 PM.
06-28-2017, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I use the ACMAXX 3.2" Hard LCD Screen on my K3 and K1, very easy to install and durable!

06-29-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I use the ACMAXX 3.2" Hard LCD Screen on my K3 and K1, very easy to install and durable!
This is exactly what I wanted! placed my order, thanks for sharing this
06-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Glad to help
07-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Yup. This is the one I use and it's excellent.

Ditto! I have these for my K-1 and K3 II - Brotect Airglass - Excellent product

07-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I got the Airglass from Protectionfilms24, they shipped very fast and product is good. I haven't received the top lcd screen though, they only included the rear one. Also, I'd much prefer having a gorilla glass screen instead, I love the one I have on my phone, saved my screen twice already.. Couldn't find one for K-1 though
If you look carefully you will notice that top cover is included. It looks like a small handle for the big protector as they come connected together so you might confuse it with an accessory to hold the big one. I just got mine from the garbage basket and put in on the top of the camera.
07-09-2017, 05:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can you provide a link to the "gorilla glass" products?

I originally tried one dealer mentioned here, but apparently they don't ship to the states and didn't return my e-mail.

I prefer real glass to any type of plastic since, in the end, plastic collects small scratches and goes from glossy to matte in wear areas. Glass can scratch, but is much more resistant than plastic, and "gorilla glass" is quite strong, though a strong blow will shatter glass (and one that strong will probably transfer to the LCD window and break it as well). I think any protector is mainly for scratch protection.

That's the reason, I turned to Expert Shield products which are available through Amazon in the US and elsewhere. They do not include the small window protector (at the time I purchased mine), but that window is not as exposed to damage and sees far less wear than the main LCD panel o I'm not too worried about it.

Expert Shield offers plastic as well as glass (in many sizes, but the K-1 specifically) but their glass protector is not advertised as "gorilla glass", hence my beginning question (I believe real "gorilla glass" is a glass product).

http://www.expertshield.com if anyone needs more info. Just Google it and the Amazon link will pop up.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-09-2017 at 06:31 AM.
09-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a K1 Mark 1 and would like to get a screen protector for it. I bought something from B&H that doesn't really stay attached to the screen (getting the camera out of by camera bag and putting it back in starts to remove it). I tried to reach some of the earlier suggestions in this thread and they either don't ship to the US or aren't available any more. Any suggestions would be welcome.
09-29-2022, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon lists a number of them. I have had good luck with ACMAXX going back over many Pentax models.
09-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1299501-REG/expert_shield_78_fwz4_n1q...981&

from Expert Shield. I have these on my K-1 and K-01 and they have stayed in place real well for several years now.
09-30-2022, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions--I have an ACCMAX on order from Amazon.