Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Currently the Pentax write speed limit isn't going to move past 37 MB/s no matter what SD card you use. That's the core of the problem for buffer performance.

I think we will just have to wait until the next Pentax body implements UHS-II. That alone should make SD write speeds up to about 150MB/s real, judging by the write speeds cameras like the UHS-II Fuji XT-3 get out of their SD card slots.

Fuji X-T3 SD Card Speed Comparison with Recommended Memory Cards for Fuji XT10 Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

But while looking at such SD card tests, the slow SD card performance in Pentax always puzzled me, particularly why a UHS-1 body like the K-3 II could max out at 37 MB/s, whilst the equivalent Nikon UHS-1 body (the D7200) could do 75 MB/s write speeds. Whilst using the same SD card (SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 64GB).

Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
Nikon D7200 SD Card Comparison Fastest Write Speed Tests for D7200 Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Somewhere in their camera hardware, Pentax have been doing something wrong. I suspect the same is going on in the K-1, since it has inherited a lot of the K-3 innards. Even if they added 1 GB to the buffer of future cameras, slow write speeds would still choke the camera. Something needs to change.
I don't think anything is wrong, but outdated specs happen when something lingers too long on a development cycle, and the K-1 had the mother of all development cycles. Lets hope the new flag ship APS-C and or K-1 mk3 will support faster cards.

12-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Somewhere in their camera hardware, Pentax have been doing something wrong.
I believe they prioritise pricing over performance. Using more performant chips is not a problem per se but would drive up cost.

Something needs to change.
That depends on whom they are targeting.

The current buffer clearance speeds aren't fantastic, but perhaps sufficient for the majority of K-1 users?

Better buffer clearance times would go well with better AF-C performance, so it might be rather expensive to follow through with updating one part of the electronics.
12-09-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I don't think anything is wrong, but outdated specs happen when something lingers too long on a development cycle, and the K-1 had the mother of all development cycles. Lets hope the new flag ship APS-C and or K-1 mk3 will support faster cards.
I would love Pentax to continue the trend of upgrading the previous version.

Say the K-1 Mark III has a 42 megapixel sensor and other upgrades plus UHS II card slots.

I would consider paying to upgrade my slots to UHS II depending on the price. I would hope the circuit board could write at higher speeds so just replacing the hardware would be needed.

Not that I expect that, but hey it would be cool.
12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have no idea how memory cards work. But here are a couple of ideas that would be interesting...if possible to do.

1. Why couldn't a SD card hold the electronics of 2 microSD cards inside? This would allow cameras with only 1 card slot to back up to two spots. Granted it wouldn't be quite as good as two seperate cards, because of some shared internal electronics, and the chance to lose the card. But it would help guard against corrupt files.

2. Build buffer memory into the SD card. The SD card buffer could then move files to the camera buffer. No idea if this is feasible. Lots of action/wildlife people have entry to mid level cameras that on occasion could use larger buffers. Bet K-1 owners would $200 for a card that doubles their burst memory.

Unfortunately, these two ideas would be very unlikely to work together in the same card.

Thanks,
barondla

12-09-2019, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe they prioritise pricing over performance. Using more performant chips is not a problem per se but would drive up cost.

That depends on whom they are targeting.

The current buffer clearance speeds aren't fantastic, but perhaps sufficient for the majority of K-1 users?

Better buffer clearance times would go well with better AF-C performance, so it might be rather expensive to follow through with updating one part of the electronics.
I think this is key point.

Have a look at the marketing for Pentax. When is the last time you saw them deliberately market their camera for a wedding or sports shooter (something that taxes AF/Buffer)...? When have you seen them advertise their products based around a landscape shot (something that is less taxing on AF/Buffer)?

It's simply the wrong tool for the job. If buffer, fps and AF matter to you in your workflow then you have chosen ill wisely with Pentax. But if you shoot much slower, more casually then it's fantastic value camera. And I should like to point out that even if a high stress shoot such as a wedding, it is only 5-10% of the entire day that I might really stress the buffer, the majority of the shoot its not an issue (writing RAW to SD 1 and 2).

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I would love Pentax to continue the trend of upgrading the previous version.

Say the K-1 Mark III has a 42 megapixel sensor and other upgrades plus UHS II card slots.

I would consider paying to upgrade my slots to UHS II depending on the price. I would hope the circuit board could write at higher speeds so just replacing the hardware would be needed.

Not that I expect that, but hey it would be cool.
Interesting idea. I too would probably pay for that. I researched the $700AUD firmware upgrade for the K-1ii and in the end decided it wasn't worth it, but if they could take my camera and upgrade it in an area that really mattered to me I would be interested in that (if the price was right).
12-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
It has been speculated that the K-1 already has a UHS II slot.

Therefore, it is probably the case that the rest of the hardware does not support exploiting the fact that there is UHS-II hardware available.

This makes sense, as not even UHS-I speeds are reached. Hence, any upgrades would be much more substantial than replacing the slot hardware.

P.S.: I never had any problems with the K-1 when swapping cards between slots. The guy that originated the "slot 1 uses UHS-II hardware" claim also claims that the difference in slot hardware causes problems when swapping cards. I think this is complete nonsense.
12-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #52

I'm using 2 sd cards 64 gb. the fist : 1000x and the second 600X.
It's enough for a day off shooting
But I've another 32 GB in my Grip with the second battery !
No problem with lexar and Sandisk

12-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #53
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a pair of SanDisk Pro Extreme 128GB. Have always had good luck with SanDisk.
12-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Friends have had good luck with Sandisk replacing large capacity (256 & 400gb) mSD cards when they fail. Not sure how well other manufacturers handle this. Sandisk has always taken care of their customers.
thanks,
barondla

I've yet to shoot anything that fills the K-1 buffer. Apparently I'm usually slower than the camera! lol.
12-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #55
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sandisk Extreem Pro for me I left one in the pocket of a shirt went into the wash.... on the clothes line to dry out (still in the pocket)... and it still works on the K1... I am astounded I used a cheeper brand which would die regularly in the humidity when i went to Bali for holidays...
12-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sandisk Extreme Po here, still without any issues. Fingers crossed, of course.
12-31-2019, 08:58 AM   #57
Veteran Member

SanDisk 256GB Pro Extreme in primary slot. It has been there for about a year without formatting and has still space for about 1000 RAW files. I never delete anything in-camera, always formatting as soon as the card gets full and images are copied to hard drives.
12-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about Lexar? Feel like a few years back I came across a series of failure reports. Don't know if it was founded on reality, a bad lot, or just FUD.
12-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

l have had really good luck with SD cards. The only failure was a Sandisk which lost a corner of the plastic housing.
12-31-2019, 07:51 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
l have had really good luck with SD cards. The only failure was a Sandisk which lost a corner of the plastic housing.
I've had a few SD cards loose part of the plastic dividers or a corner. I can live with it since the problem can be seen before it causes picture loss. Even though they are a pain to handle, the microSD cards might be more robust structurally.

Thanks,
barondla