Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 Camera Calibration in Lightroom CC

Just wanted to know what what's going on when using lightroom CC and the camera calibration options for the K-1. There are the following options:

1. Embedded
2. Abobe Standard
3. Camera Bright
4. Camera Landscape
5. Camera Natural
6. Camera Portrait
7. Camera Vibrant

03-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Just wanted to know what what's going on when using lightroom CC and the camera calibration options for the K-1. There are the following options:

1. Embedded
2. Abobe Standard
3. Camera Bright
4. Camera Landscape
5. Camera Natural
6. Camera Portrait
7. Camera Vibrant
Adobe has their own K-1 color profiles that you can choose from or you can chose the color profile that the camera provides (Embeded).
03-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure what the difference is. Is the adobe profile better than the embedded? Is this a collaboration between Ricoh and Adobe?
03-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not sure what the difference is. Is the adobe profile better than the embedded? Is this a collaboration between Ricoh and Adobe?
No collaboration that I know of. Part of supporting the camera in LR is that Adobe builds color profiles specifically for each camera that is supports. I use and X-Rite Passport Color Checker to create my own profiles, but the Embedded color profile is very, very good.

03-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Depending on how good/well calibrated your monitor is; you may want to opt for picking the base; probably best is Pentax Natural - and creating your own. I personally don't like any of them and go with a custom profile for every Pentax cam; based of the default one of K100Super, which I thought was fantastic haha. There is no right or wrong really. Bright is the vibrant option but I find it's greens not adequate - I prefer mine a bit colder and less saturated. Natural is plain and meant to be build upon. Portrait, well, that's self explanatory - bit less contrasty; I find it useless for just about anything; vibrant is too overcooked. Have a good look and decide what you like the most or possibly based the decision on feedback from your photos using the various profiles? Just my two cents
03-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Camera profiles are color profiles which can help getting a standard look, but they are also used to counteract sensor specialties (best known are clippings in the green channel or red channel).
For profiles like "landscape" you can build into them boosting blue skys and green plants.
And last but not least what most people do not realize is that a camera color profile does include a certain gradient curve for each channel, so contrast is also derived from the color profile. As contrast is sharpness and sharpness is contrast the impact must not be overlooked. That is behind most of the "landcape" profile looking more "punchy" than the "neutral" ones.

Also there are better and worse profiles, depending on if they are single or dual illuminant and how close the used illuminant is to your actual standard photo lighting situation.

In brief: There is no right or wrong profile there are just those which fit better to a users liking and requirements.
03-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is my understanding of how it works:
  • The embedded profile is provided by Ricoh/Pentax as part of the DNG. I have decompiled the embedded profiles for the K-1 and the K-3 and can confirm that they are rudimentary when compared to Adobe Standard.
  • Adobe Standard is provided by Adobe, is specific to the K-1, and provides results comparable to "Adobe Standard" for other cameras
  • The rest of the profiles are provided by Ricoh/Pentax to Adobe and correspond to custom image options for the camera
All will do the job and which you choose is mostly a matter of taste. For more on DCP profiles and how they work, Sandy McGuffog (author of dcpTool) has an excellent discussion and related resources on the dcpTool project page that are very helpful.

dcpTool: What are DNG Camera Profiles?

As noted above, you can create your own dcp profiles. There are a few users on this site that go so far as to do so on a per shoot basis* and embed the results downstream in the DNG.

Steve

* Yes, this sounds extreme, but is stock-in-trade for colorists in the motion picture industry.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2017 at 09:59 AM.
03-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

I usually choose either embedded or the Adobe one, for landscapes I hate the greenish yellow that I get from the pentax profile, and overall don't like it, portrait... again don't like it, I fine tune the rgb, and curves, tend to prefer the Adobe has base, but embedded also can be a good base, well I would be repeating myself on the rest.
And it's one of those questions.... you just need to click them and look at the screen, choose what you like