Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

K-1 bulb mode question

I have been struggling with the K-1 bulb mode, maybe somebody can help. I start the long exposure, and whatever time I chose for the exposure, the camera will afterwards count down that number of seconds or minutes. For example, if I chose an exposure time of two minutes, I will start the exposure and then stop it with the remote after 60 seconds, and then the camera starts to count down 60 seconds. Why does it do that? Does that mean I now have an exposure time of twice the amount, i.e. 120 seconds?

This is annoying because while it counts down, I can't do anything with the camera. If I have an exposure time of five minutes, I actually have to wait 10 minutes!

With any other camera, I do the long exposure, and after I click the shutter the second time, the exposure is done. What the Pentax does is confusing. Can someone please help??

04-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dark frame subtraction

It worried me at first too...
Have a read of this -Dark frame subtraction Dark-frame subtraction - Wikipedia
04-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdurson Quote
Can someone please help??
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Dark frame subtraction
Turn this off using the setting below

Rec Menu 2/Noise Reduction/Slow Shutter Speed NR

This may also be set using the "control panel".

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!
04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It worried me at first too...
Have a read of this -Dark frame subtraction Dark-frame subtraction - Wikipedia
thank you, that helped!

04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Turn this off using the setting below

Rec Menu 2/Noise Reduction/Slow Shutter Speed NR

This may also be set using the "control panel".

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!
thank you, that did it!
04-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
You might want to consider leaving this setting turned on particularly with longer exposures. Its annoying having to wait twice as long but the IQ results are better. If you have a second camera shoot that as well while the other is exposing.
04-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
You might want to consider leaving this setting turned on particularly with longer exposures. Its annoying having to wait twice as long but the IQ results are better. If you have a second camera shoot that as well while the other is exposing.
Hmmm, if it makes that much of a difference, I will turn it back on and check it out. Thanks for the input!

04-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdurson Quote
Hmmm, if it makes that much of a difference, I will turn it back on and check it out. Thanks for the input!
You can also get very good results doing noise reduction as part of processing the image.
04-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
You can also take some dark frames (Cover the lens with the lenscap and take a few shots at the same exposure and temp as your main shots) after the session and subtract them from the main image in some program that does dark fram subtraction (Deep sky stacker, Nebulosity, Pixinsight, Photoshop etc...). This way you maximize your time taking images.
04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This setting can be programmed to the quick setting -panel! So it can be accessed with info-button anytime. Very handy for long exposure users. There are however exceptions to the rule - do not use it with pixel shift, it will ruin any detail advantage it gives. And you can also use multiexposure in-camera program to take, say, 100 shots and let camera compute one output RAW file from that. This will also smooth out moving parts like water. Averaging 100 shots gives so smooth file that dark frame subtraction is rarely needed for non-astro work.
05-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks to several users for their notes on this. I just joined specifically to check on this issue.
It does seem excissive. I like the idea of keeping a set of the dark images around to subtract on demand.