Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware 1.4 vs 1.3: Impact on AF performance

Hi.

I just bought a K1 and read some comments on some people deciding to forego firmware 1.4 because they believe the AF was better under 1.3.

I want to update the firmware, it comes with 1.0 and am trying to decide which firmware to use. I like the idea of the nightmode in V1.4 but ultimately AF is the most important for me.

Anyone tried both and decided that 1.3 was indeed better.

Howie Be

04-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi.

I just bought a K1 and read some comments on some people deciding to forego firmware 1.4 because they believe the AF was better under 1.3.

I want to update the firmware, it comes with 1.0 and am trying to decide which firmware to use. I like the idea of the nightmode in V1.4 but ultimately AF is the most important for me.

Anyone tried both and decided that 1.3 was indeed better.

Howie Be
I's interesting that some K-1 users are saying there's an AF difference between the FW updates, I've not heard this before.

Personally I don't recall any difference myself, but for me the electronic shutter in v1.4 is well worth the latter release being installed, IMHO etc.

I'm interested to see what differences are discussed in this thread.

Tas

PS: I forgot to say congrats on picking up the K-1. An excellent camera to work with, hopefully the AF will work for your style of photography too.
04-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
read some comments on some people deciding to forego firmware 1.4 because they believe the AF was better under 1.3.
News to me. I haven't felt any difference.

v1.4 has some nice new features, and the ever important 'Improved stability for general performance' mystery updates.
04-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi.

Just to be clear, my question is because of some of the user comments when firmware V1.4 was released. The comments are at the bottom of this page:
Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.40 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

04-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pixie dust perhaps? Unless an update contains a known issue (which is usually patched in a timely manner), there's generally no reason to avoid the latest FW version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi guys, I have a question about the firmware updates, I have managed to download the 1.4 update to my computer for the K1 but don"t have a clue how to put it into the camera, same thing I tried for the K7, any advice would be welcome, thanks Ian
04-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The comments are at the bottom of this page:
From there I note: ''lennyl: I did the firmware 1.40 update again (from 1.30) and it looks OK (indoor), I made a small correction in Microadjustment FA 31/43/77 lens. Previously, I was probably too quick to negative reactions."

Based on my own experience, firmware updates do indeed sometimes reset or change existing camera settings - lens micro-adjustment values only rarely, custom settings quite routinely.
04-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi guys, I have a question about the firmware updates, I have managed to download the 1.4 update to my computer for the K1 but don"t have a clue how to put it into the camera, same thing I tried for the K7, any advice would be welcome, thanks Ian
The file you download needs to be extracted to a .bin file
Then transfer it to the root directory of a formatted SD card
Make sure the battery in your camera is fully charged
Insert the SD card into the camera, then turn it on while holding down the MENU button
Follow the instructions on the LCD screen

04-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Sandy, this is going to annoy but what is a bin file my mate who knows a lot more than me said something about bin files being old school stuff and we can"t work it out. just leave it I guess, Ian
04-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Sandy, this is going to annoy but what is a bin file my mate who knows a lot more than me said something about bin files being old school stuff and we can"t work it out. just leave it I guess, Ian
Have a read here Ian: Pentax DSLR Firmware Update Guide - PentaxForums.com
04-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well bin traditionally stood for binary. Whether that is the case here is another matter. Case in point lots of text files don't end with .txt. Lo and behold you can open them in a text editor they are in fact ascii text files. Anyway that's my small and probably irrelevant contribution!
04-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what is a bin file
The file you download will self-extract if you double click it. No need to worry about the meaning of the file extension, but I assume it stands for "binary", the most basic (not to be confused with BASIC ) type of machine code.
04-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest you not let your roommate near your camera.

As hinted above the .bin extension is often used for "imaged" binary data, but the extension itself is not exclusive to a particular program or type of data.

Steve
04-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Simply follow the attached directions.
04-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice I will get my mate round and we will give it a go, regards Ian