Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FilmORbitz Quote
Sigma's president made it clear that the legacy mechanical linkage was not the primary issue impacting K-mount lens production. Rather, it was the changeover production costs for a relatively low-demand item.
What changeover? physically speaking, Sigma SA mount has a lot in common with K mount, apart from the electronic lens communication protocols and the focus flange which are the same as Canon EF mount Lenses...I don't buy this excuse.

04-10-2017, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #92

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I happen to have full frame cameras from Pentax and Nikon, and a crop sensor for Canon.

I can't think of any single lens that I'd really want for N or C that couldn't be covered by offering in the P land. Please prove me wrong.
04-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
What changeover? physically speaking, Sigma SA mount has a lot in common with K mount, apart from the electronic lens communication protocols and the focus flange which are the same as Canon EF mount Lenses...I don't buy this excuse.
He speaks with a very honest tone, and I'm certain he understands the lens business. Please read what was said, here, and don't miss the comment section:

Sigma Q&A Part I: CEO Kazuto Yamaki explains why so few Pentax-mount lenses, and much more
04-11-2017, 02:56 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think it all came down to the simple fact that they weren't selling enough k mount Sigmas and so they decided not to release new lenses in that mount. If Pentax's market share gets up to five or even ten percent, they would probably reconsider. But I think that for them creating lenses to sit on shelves is probably not great.

The SA mount is their own mount and so of course they will support, regardless of the fact that it has a minuscule market share.

04-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
regardless of the fact that it has a minuscule market share.
To muddy the waters further, the same applies to Sony Alpha mount too. Up until recently, many even considered A mount dead, as Sony showed much more interest in E mount. Yet Sigma still supported A mount, even as sales must have totally dwindled.
04-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #96
Pentaxian

My guess is Sigma suffered for K mount for a long time before cutting the tow ropes. That will make them unlikely to want back in to the K-mount market. Pentax sales over a period of years would have to convince them that K mount cameras are back permanently. Not just a bump caused by a new product release.

I have two awesome Sigma (and two not so awesome ) lenses the 70 macro and Sigma 8-16, both top notch for what they do. But for my needs, I should have bought the Pentax 100 macro, not the Sigma ( but it was too close to my Tamron 90). These things happen with everything you buy. Not all Apple software runs on Windows computers. A lot of Windows software doesn't run on Mac computers. As my dad would say "You pays your money and you takes your pick." A few years from now no one will remember that Sigma ever supported Pentax, and no one will care.
04-11-2017, 05:11 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
MThese things happen with everything you buy. Not all Apple software runs on Windows computers. A lot of Windows software doesn't run on Mac computers. As my dad would say "You pays your money and you takes your pick." A few years from now no one will remember that Sigma ever supported Pentax, and no one will care.
Not a good analogy. Virtual machines make this largely moot.

04-11-2017, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'll put thinking of a better one on my list of things to do.
04-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If Apple doesn't hire the next Jobs or Wozniak real soon, they could be virtually irrelevant. My nephew toils there, and the shape of the new headquarters may be prescient. Phones are headed in the same direction as "real" cameras...so there is that ironic satisfaction.
04-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Woz wouldn't be useful here now, he's too straight forward, and isn't mean enough.
04-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
Have I brought into a dead Eco System
Maybe not. Let's wait for the news.
04-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #102

Original Poster
Looks like the news is in. Ricoh may close shutter on personal camera business- Nikkei Asian Review
Thanks for the very interesting debate guys. Lets hope the K Mount is kept supported somehow, but the news above does not filll me with confidence.
04-12-2017, 04:51 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
the news above does not filll me with confidence.
Newsflash: the media over-hyped the story. What a surprise. From Ricoh today:

QuoteQuote:
About some press coverage today

Today, there was a report on Ricoh shrinking their camera business and considering withdrawing from the consumer market but this article was not published by Ricoh.

Ricoh's Consumer Camera Business focuses resources on high value-added products such as PENTAX and GR that are enjoyed by many people enjoying photography as a hobby. In addition, the 360° camera "RICOH THETA" is the market leader of image acquisition devices in the new and rapidly growing VR and AR markets, and we plan to expand this business further. Furthermore, we intend to expand and develop the imaging business by creating a new market that would utilize our camera technology in the BtoB domain of business solutions."
tl;dr - K-mount lives.

[Covered in the news and rumours section:
Ricoh to get out of camera business? - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com ]
04-12-2017, 05:31 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Newsflash: the media over-hyped the story. What a surprise. From Ricoh today:

tl;dr - K-mount lives.

[Covered in the news and rumours section:
Ricoh to get out of camera business? - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com ]
As expected, just another "Pentax is doomed" thread.
04-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As expected, just another "Pentax is doomed" thread.
Oh come on Norm. You have a Mac, type it right...

Pentax is Doomed™!