Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #1

Pentax KP & K-1 Sensor shift shake reduction in movie mode with new firmware

I am on a crusade to finally find the best option to shoot high quality photographs as well as at least full hd films (that are better than the footage from my samsung s6) with my new camera. So far, there is literally nothing that could give me what I want in one camera body. Maybe Sony a6500 comes close but there are other things that bother me with it.

Short story short; I have got a few Pentax lenses already ( I love my k-5 ii s a lot), and if it did not give me plenty of hot pixels while recording video... I would be amazingly happy... Unfortunately it show lots of hot pixels and the footage is not usable.

For a second I wanted k-1 but horrible electric shake reduction in video mode efficiently put me off. KP is very soft... but I am still weighing all pros and cons. I wanted to get GH5 but the photo quality is just sh1t... visible noise @ 200iso, low dynamic range and all kind of bad things coming from m4/3 sensor. No thank you...
+ I would not use its full video potential any way.

So am digging and digging more about k-1 and kp, trying to watch as many videos from those camera as I can ( there are only few from kp unfortunately ;((( but you can already see that the quality is just crap ), and I have stumbled upon this:

source:http://www.mycameratravels.com/pentax-kp-hands-on-experience-review/

" Update from the 2017 CP+ show: According to Ricoh Imaging representatives, video improvement have been made to the KP ( tgc; I think you are f... daydreaming pal... ), and soon both the KP and K-1 will have access to sensor-shift stabilisation in video via a firmware update. "

Has anyone else heard about it? Is it true? I also thought KP had sensor-shift stabilisation in video from the start ( maybe this is what the guy from 2017 CP+ show, meant... ).

I don't think they will fix the super bad (my samsung s6 has got a better video quality...) KP video quality, but...

K-1 was rather decent, and with proper sensor-shift stabilisation it might be the best option. I still have to refresh my research about k-70, but I have crossed it from my list previously for some reason.

And the last thing...
If anyone has got K-1 or KP and willing to make some simple 1min none-edited handheld videos with shake reduction ON and put them on youtube... I would be freakingly grateful...

04-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
5. Would it be possible to bring back mechanical stabilization in video?

So far the sensor shift is disabled in movie mode in order not to record mechanical noise. In response to our users' requests, we are planning to supply a firmware update that enables mechanical SR (shake reduction) while recording video for the K-1 and KP.
Source: CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

As of today, KP has electronic stabilisation / SR in video mode.
04-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are small differences, but essentially all Pentax cameras from 2012 onwards have the same video quality. that's about it really.

In many cases fine if the subject is well lit and the scene is not too complex and fast moving, and you are able to externally stabilise. No peaking guides during video recording.
04-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Source: CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

As of today, KP has electronic stabilisation / SR in video mode.

Thank you~!!

04-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
There are small differences, but essentially all Pentax cameras from 2012 onwards have the same video quality. that's about it really.

In many cases fine if the subject is well lit and the scene is not too complex and fast moving, and you are able to externally stabilise. No peaking guides during video recording.
There are some differences. With the K-3 Pentax used more compression on the output compared to the generation of K-01. So things got a little wors from that moment. Just to make it possible to run 25 minutes of fullHD in the 4GB max space.
04-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would give Canon or Panasonic a try if video is your primary goal. Everyone else lags behind them.

As for stills, respectfully I think the gh5 and other m43 cameras are better than you suggest, but your standards are your own. I would rent a gh5 before dismissing it.
04-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

To be clear, nearly all manufacturers have upped their game in the video arena, except for Pentax.

Olympus offers in body stabilisation, and full HD 1920x1080p at up to 77 Mbps in the Om-D EM-10 / EM5 mark ii models.
Fuji offer pretty stunning abilities in their X-T2 camera.
Canon is ok out of the box, but the Magic Lantern alternate firmware ups this significantly on their consumer line.
Nikon like Canon offer better video as you go up the product scale. Nikon appear to be in second to last place for video, competing with Pentax...

Sony are pretty epic in this arena too, as are Panasonic. Both now offer in body stabilisation also, which was once a Pentax specialty, but was removed from all Pentax cameras during video mode, from 2012 onwards.
Point is though, that even those companies who actively identified themselves as not being interested in video have all upped their game considerably. Pentax needs to step up to remain even in the same ball park, with a jump to say 2015 levels soon.
04-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

I second UncleVanya, I don't think you're giving MFT enough credit. I shoot with both the K1 and the Olympus Em5mkII and both are fantastic cameras. I currently have two images in a local gallery, both printed above 12in on their shortest side. One is from the Olympus and one is from the Pentax, you genuinely can't tell a difference when they're printed. If that doesn't show how good both of the cameras are then I don't know what to tell you.

Now if you plan on doing a ton of low light interior shots, then yes MFT falls behind. But other than that I have no qualms picking the Oly for a day over the Pentax. If you wan't some great video without spending 2k, I would look to Panasonic's G85. It's got a lot of the features of the GH5 just dumbed down a little and half the price.

04-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
For a second I wanted k-1 but horrible electric shake reduction in video mode efficiently put me off. KP is very soft... but I am still weighing all pros and cons. I wanted to get GH5 but the photo quality is just sh1t... visible noise @ 200iso, low dynamic range and all kind of bad things coming from m4/3 sensor. No thank you...
+ I would not use its full video potential any way.
Can't agree. I have 2x Olympus OMDs.. The MFT sensor is amazing (remember, the 4/3 sensor was originally Olympus & Kodak's which emulated the 110 film size). The DR is excellent and the output blew me away as it surpasses my K-50 (the last APS-C Pentax I owned).
Olympus's IBIS is sensational and beginning with the OMD EM10MkII the video output has just got better and better. Olympus stills are just delicious and even their low end/kit lenses are high quality and sharp.
Pentax haven't even tried to improve their video.

But each to their own

---------- Post added 04-10-17 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote

Now if you plan on doing a ton of low light interior shots, then yes MFT falls behind..
I don't agree here either.
With the right lens, I get amazing low light images from my OMD, even up to 3200 ISO (rarely necessary, but just to make a point) with little visible grain.
04-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

I don't agree here either.
With the right lens, I get amazing low light images from my OMD, even up to 3200 ISO (rarely necessary, but just to make a point) with little visible grain.
I never said that it was bad, just that it falls behind. If you're doing a lot of interior shots the two times crop can limit your wide angle opportunities. And while it still does well in low light, APSC or FF will do better. Hence the "fall behind" part. MFT isn't bad at low light interiors, it's just not the best tool for the job is all I mean.
08-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, did Pentax ever release a firmware update for the K-1/K-1ii and KP to enable mechanical SR in movie mode?

This is really missed. Mechnical SR in movie mode was one of the best features of the K5.
08-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
So, did Pentax ever release a firmware update for the K-1/K-1ii and KP to enable mechanical SR in movie mode?
Not, a bit of talk and then a whole lot of nothing.

Hasn't been seen since the K-5 series, and missing from all subsequent models to date from the K-01 and K-30 cameras released in 2012.
08-28-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Since Pentax were suggesting that mechanical SR in video could be turned on/off in firmware, this thread makes me wonder if video SR may be a feature exposed (and controllable) via one of the recently released remote operation API's.