Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey all,

Still waiting for the repair man to send my Joy back.

I called the repair shop yesterday and they said they are waiting for replacement parts from Pentax Japan, as it was the first time they had to change this type of pieces, Bayonet mounts.
The bill should be a little less than what I expected though, at about 700€ it's still a major catastrophe ...

I've got a photo trip scheduled for may 18th, Im crossing fingers to have my Camera in time.

04-30-2017, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #17

So sorry to read this but surely everyone here with gear worth thousands insures it???? I used to work in insurance and for the relatively low cost it's so worth it... Adding cameras to a household policy as unspecified items is absolutely the right thing to do. If shooting professionally you should have professional insirances too.

If you get mugged and a K1 and 3-4 lenses are taken you could be looking at a £8000 bill - very easily!! Me I'd rather add £50 a year to my house insurance.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jon
05-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I fell to sea in January with K-1 and 15-30 (3rd time I managed to destroy my gear). Sure, insurance worked as it should but it is always as shocking when it happens. Just keep shooting when you get the gear fixed, it helps to forget the episode.
05-01-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Hi DimC,
I feel so sorry for you. It happened to me in 1986 with my Nikon F-801. One of my friend borrowed me it for fun and let it fall... I was upset but the repair for the cover was not to expensive at this time. Two years ago, I came back to Indonesia after 35 years of absence. One of my two EOS 6D fell down and the cover (again) broke. It cost me 250 euros to replace it in France. I hope you can get some fun again with your stuff. See you soon...
best regards.

05-17-2017, 02:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About insurance, I've learned the hard way that my current insurance policy dont cover this type of incident.

Now about my gear.

I've had the K1 body back from repair, went to the shop and when I tried it the Back Button AF wasn't working anymore, plus I suspected an issue with overall AF. So I sent it back to repair, it's been about 2 month now that I sent the body and lens to repair.
The lens on the other side is still waiting for some parts, nobody can tell me when it will be repaired as of yet.

I had to go thru the shop where I bought my camera and lens, the people from this shop are really helpfull but they are clueless about how Pentax deal with repairs and generally speaking about Pentax After Sales support in France.

My Body being repaired and not tested before being send back to me is very sad, it coasted me 540€ for the body only and it came back with another issue than the one I sent it for repair
05-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch, I can imagine the feeling the moment you realised what just had happened Hope it's possible to fix without costing too much.
05-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are both actually damaged or only the lens.

05-17-2017, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I feel your pain...truly!
I need a Pentax body mechanic! - PentaxForums.com

My damage seems worse than yours and the only estimate I got was around $600. It still functioned as a MF shooter after I did some work on it and I sold it for $100. Loved that camera!

My saving grace was that Mrs Rupert, seeing my pain and misery, bought me a new K1!

I hope you get a happy ending, these things are truly devastating for the spirit, my sympathy to you.

Best Regards!
06-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thought I'd keep you informed, just in case some french dude run in the same type of problems.
It's been About 3 months now and Im still waiting for my 24-70mm Pentax lens back from repair. The factory said they had to order parts from japan twice and each time it's about 2 weeks to deliver the parts. 3 months is long.
Now my camera, like I said it was sent back to me and I discovered that the Back Button AF wasnt working anymore so I decided to re send the camera to the repairman. The other issue I had was that under a FL of let's say about 28mm the AF wasnt working, I had to use Manual focus.
I went to the shop last tuesday and they are saying it will probably need another 10 business days to fix the camera AND lens. Finger crossed.

This situation leaves me clueless about Pentax service and AfterSales in France. The shop I bought the camera and lens, are also Canikon Retailer and they told me this kind of delay would never happen with theses brands. I know Pentax is a Niche Market but it doesnt feel great being a Pentax shooter and having to wait this long for repairs.
06-01-2017, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Hi DimC,
very sorry for what happened to you et le SAV Pentax...
Cross fingers.
06-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
The factory said they had to order parts from japan twice and each time it's about 2 weeks to deliver the parts.
This is probably why the US repair center seems to be sending the lenses to Japan for repair. To reduce time waiting for parts if several parts orders become necessary.
06-09-2017, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi all,

I just got my camera & lens back from repairshop on wednesday, I had some time yesterday to take a couple picture and I *think* Im good to go
Im in the process of re-configuring my body with all my user modes and special settings, it woiuld be great if we could save our Camera settings to a file in the SDCard for example, it would be neat to be able to load different camera configuration this way.

I was so happy to do my walk around the lake with the 24-70mm and K1 combo, heavy but so freaking good
Here are my first shots with them :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-09-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for ending the story Dim. (I hate stories without an ending!)
It is great that you have you stuff back and working but, as you say, Pentax need to lift their game in service and repairs.
And lovely images.
06-09-2017, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Hi DimC,
I am very happy and I am very relieved that you got your gear back and repaired... See you very soon on PentaxForums...
Kind regards.
06-09-2017, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi DimC,

Glad to see you have your gear back and enjoying it once again.