Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #1

Help loading images from my K-1 into lightroom

I can take a few photos with my K-1 and review them in camera. I then try to load the photos using my computers card reader for import into Light room and Lightroom gives me the message that there are no photos for import. I have my K-1 set to record one card as Raw/DNG and the other card as JPEG. I've tried both cards and get the same notice in Lightroom. The version of Lightroom is 5.7.
I've tried reinstalling Lightroom, using different SD cards and resetting my K-1, nothing seems to work.
Up until about a week ago, everything worked fine with Lightroom and the K-1. The only thing I've done is change some of the backups of files I had in Lightroom.
Does the color space in the K-1 matter if it is set as sRGB or Adobe RGB? Is there something in Lightroom I might have messed up? Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

04-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you selecting the card to read in LR? Make sure you select K-1 (or whatever you call the card) in the Navigation block (Folders section) on the left hand side in the Develop module.
04-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried using a different card reader
04-12-2017, 02:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be an issue with the file import dialogue.

What happens if you untick "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates"?

Similar instances of no images to import report the images can appear.

Re Color Space, leave it as sRGB as a default as that is the standard for most online and web use. The colors are slightly muted compared with Adobe RGB and are more suited for professional prints. A good discussion on their relative merits is at https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167

Last edited by johnhilvert; 04-12-2017 at 02:31 AM.
04-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
Have you tried using a different card reader
I could not load any of the pics from K1 into Photoshop until I bought a new reader. If the OP is using a new SD card, this may well be his problem.
04-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay. So previously you could import photos from your K-1 using you card reader, but now you can't. Have you tried using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, depending on what computer you have, to see if there are any files on the memory cards?

Have you tried using a different card reader?

After inserting the cards in your current card reader and trying to import them into Lightroom, are you still able to view the photos in your K-1 when you re-insert the cards in the K-1?

Regards

Chris
04-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Lightroom 5.7 is probably at least 3 years old, it does not have support for new cameras without being updated. I would investigate whether your version of Lightroom can be updated to handle newer cameras. If not, you may have to go the monthly CC route.
04-12-2017, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rdharkins Quote
Lightroom 5.7 is probably at least 3 years old, it does not have support for new cameras without being updated.
Update is not enough. Lightroom 6.x or CC are the only versions at present that provide camera support for the K-1.

Steve

04-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you changed from DNG to PEF in the camera settings?
04-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Have you changed from DNG to PEF in the camera settings?
...and as mentioned in the first response...is there confirmation that the image is written to the card being read for import? (Is it there in the file browser for the computer?)

Steve
04-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Update is not enough. Lightroom 6.x or CC are the only versions at present that provide camera support for the K-1.

Steve
Unless you use .dng in which case you can use even older versions of lightroom.
04-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Unless you use .dng in which case you can use even older versions of lightroom.
Yes, Pentax-generated DNGs include an optional embedded camera profile which allows the file to be opened in versions of LR lacking profiles specific to the K-1. The embedded profile is not as complex as the those provided by LR 6.x and LR CC, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Many users prefer the embedded profile.*

In regards to the OP's problem...LR is not detecting any supported file types to import from the card. The OP stated that the camera is set for DNG + JPEG. Possible explanations with LR 5.7 include:
  • No compatible files are on the card being read
  • The files on the card were detected as duplicates
  • Actual camera settings were for PEF, not DNG
  • Something more subtle*
Troubleshooting steps:
  • Using the computer's file system viewer, confirm that the expected files are on the card
  • If the files are present, confirm that files with the same name were not previously imported into Lightroom
  • Confirm that the files on the card are DNG, TIFF, or JPEG rather than PEF

Steve

* I use LR 5.7, but my setup is not proper for investigating this particular issue. There are ways to install Adobe's K-1 dcp profiles in LR 5.7 and my setup has had that done.
04-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Here is one idea that might be totally off, but I believe the camera can be set up so that it always starts numbering the photos from 0000. And if it is maybe Lightroom identifies the new photos to be duplicates due to the same numbers already being used. (Then again Lightroom is perhaps not fooled that easily, I don't know.)