Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

So the new firmware affects AF. I haven’t updated yet so that is kind of scary as I don’t have an AF problem right now.

04-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #32
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So now we can adjust focus via IT2 when tethering? That would be useful.
04-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Can you elaborate on that - are we talking about the K-1 being able to move the sensor to accommodate focus?
No. We are talking about "remote manual" focus adjustments. It's like you were manually turning the focus ring in very small steps. But I doubt most people would be able to turn it in this small steps.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
So now we can adjust focus via IT2 when tethering? That would be useful.
Yes, in very small increments. If you use a free windows macro recorder software to push the buttons for you, you can even automate focus bracketing for macro shooting with it.
04-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My FA31, which was sharp on K-3, was inexplicably soft on K-1 and there didn't seem to be anything I could do about it. I was just about to send it for bench calibration but after 1.41 it is (again inexplicably) sharp again.
QuoteQuote:
Improved stability for general performance
so that's what that means

04-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #35
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

Yes, in very small increments.
Just did the update and it works fine. Excellent!
04-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So the new firmware affects AF.
It is very unlikely that it does.

If Ricoh had been able to make improvements in this area, why would they not announce that?

One often hears about users stating that AF got worse or better but the vast majority of users lack the systematic rigour to make such reports meaningful.

Even if a suitable AF target is used then it is not clear whether the same focusing distance has been used, the same f-stop, whether the result is an average over multiple runs, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the AF behaviour being affected. In the worst case you should be able to downgrade to your current firmware again. Fortunately, Ricoh allows downgrading, at least they did it during the last firmware update round.
05-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #37

Unable to upgrade firmware on K-1 from 1.00 to 1.41

I have attempted to upgrade the firmware on my K-1 to 1.41 from 1.00 and an error message appears when I start the upgrade. It says it is "unable to update firmware. There is a problem with the firmware update file". I have downloaded the file a few times and zipped onto a formatted SD card all with the same result. Do I need to upgrade to an earlier version before this will work?

05-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
zipped onto a formatted SD
Unzipped and placed the .bin file outside any other folders on the SD card. Did you make sure you have proper size SD card?

Answer to your second question. No, the update contains all previous updates.
05-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #39
Pentaxian

maybe windows renamed your file by putting (2) behind it. because you downloaded it multiple times. rename it back to the original file name.
05-06-2017, 01:40 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
maybe windows renamed your file by putting (2) behind it.
But if he only unzipped one file, the .bin file wouldn't have a number behind it, would it?
05-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But if he only unzipped one file, the .bin file wouldn't have a number behind it, would it?

The files for all FW update versions have the same name and the unzip never overwrites - it always appends a number. That's even true is you unzip the same FW Update version multiple times.

I save each update .exe in a separate, numbered sub-folder (so I can downgrade), unzip it in the folder and Copy the .bin to a blank, camera-formatted SD card.
05-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Whenever I download a file, if I download it twice, try to save to my download folder, Windows asks if I want to keep both or over write the original. I've never seen where it renamed a file unless you opt to keep both files, then it renames the second one with a (2).

I usually don't download a file twice. And the only instance I've seen that gave me the option above is when I move files to a certain folder.
05-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
I have attempted to upgrade the firmware on my K-1 to 1.41 from 1.00 and an error message appears when I start the upgrade. It says it is "unable to update firmware. There is a problem with the firmware update file". I have downloaded the file a few times and zipped onto a formatted SD card all with the same result. Do I need to upgrade to an earlier version before this will work?
If you mount the sd card, what is the directory listing?
05-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #44

Right now I formatted the SD card and deleted the downloaded file from the website. I have used two different SD cards, one was a 32 Gb and the other a 64 Gb. My first couple of attempts I downloaded the file and zipped onto the SD cards directly and the last attempt I connected the K-1 to the computer via usb and zipped the file directly to a formatted SD card. Each time it starts but indicates that there is something wrong with the file, "unable to update firmware. There is a problem with the firmware update file".
05-06-2017, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You need to unzip the file you downloaded to a separate folder on your computer, then open that folder and copy the .bin file to the card.

Don't unzip the download to your SD card.