Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Dan Rentea: Do you remember this interview?
CP+ 2013 Interview with Pentax - CP+ 2013 | PentaxForums.com
"In regard to the autofocus of the K-5 II, we developed it aiming to be number one in high sensitivity, but right now in the development team we are looking to become number one in autofocus."
People laughed hard... because they "knew" Pentax is waaaay behind and so on. But the K-5II was one of the first DSLRs to go down to -3EV.

(However, they should push harder if they still plan "to become number one in autofocus").

That's what I keep saying, every brand has advantages and disadvantages. Even the ones I don't particularly like.

04-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I do not trust any brand's AF system in a hi-res body.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on that! As AF systems improve, resolutions increase and magnify the imperfections you couldn't see before. My 24MP K-3 allows me to easily zoom in and see that my focus point is an inch in front of or behind where I wanted it. The thing is, the images are nice and sharp at normal viewing sizes. Unfortunately I know, and that's enough to bug me.

If my pictures were resized to 16 or even 12 MP I'd never even know I missed focus. Most look great in 8x10 size, and even larger. Some that really miss focus still look great in a 5x7. The more we get used to what we have, the more we want more, and we start second guessing our equipment. Every now and then I like to pick up my old point and shoot just to remind me how much better off I am now.
04-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I agree with you wholeheartedly on that! As AF systems improve, resolutions increase and magnify the imperfections you couldn't see before. My 24MP K-3 allows me to easily zoom in and see that my focus point is an inch in front of or behind where I wanted it....
You are all worrying too much.

Believe me, you camera will improve with age. By the time I get back home and upload my photographs I can't remember where my original focus point was!!

Likewise, the focus on my K5iis is now so fast that my eyes are the ones that can't keep up.
04-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #64
Pentaxian

This is difficult subject. LLoyd Chambers has written a lot about AF systems in hi-res bodies and end results seems to be that only contrast detect liveview AF seems to consistently nail something with 36+MP bodies provided that lens has no focus shift (not guaranteed even with modern expensive primes). And that is in good light. My own findings are 1:1 spot on.

04-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
This is difficult subject. LLoyd Chambers has written a lot about AF systems in hi-res bodies and end results seems to be that only contrast detect liveview AF seems to consistently nail something with 36+MP bodies provided that lens has no focus shift (not guaranteed even with modern expensive primes). And that is in good light. My own findings are 1:1 spot on.
In fine, any AF system has an error, like every system. The higher the sensor resolution , the small should be the error, but AF systems are used on different cameras regarding of sensor resolution. With a Canon 5DII, you have the advantage not to see less of the AF error because there is an optical anti alias filter and the sensor resolves less. On the K1, and especially 5DsR, wow , this one is getting tricky, as you may not get you 50 Mpixels sharp... because AF was slightly off, because there was so camera motion, because there was some mirror an shutter vibrations induced. I guess, lower res. camera are more in line with the capability of their AF system.
04-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Not true, Clackers. Nikon has had OVF focus face detection since the D800, included also in the D750 and presumably other top end cameras since.
AFAIK, it also focuses on a line, Leekil.

What it does is choose a focus point over a face in the scene and goes through the normal PDAF procedure.

It selects the focus point for you, rather than having to scroll or recompose.

It should have the same problems - going for a nose instead of an eye, hunt when backlit, struggle in poor light, go for the eyebrow rather than the pupil, etc.

The exposure metering according to face seems more useful to me.
04-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
@ lesmore49 and Rondec. I am glad that your are happy with your cameras. But if you want to convince me that Pentax is better than Canon, I will tell you that I came from Canon to Pentax. I have spend about 4 years in the Pentax land, and I lost more than 2000$ when I was convinced that it's not for me and sold all my Pentax tools. And I didn't do it for nothing, or for several bad shots. No. Maybe I am a bad photographer with Pentax cameras, and not so much with Canon.

I don't remember where, but some time ago I have posted here a very ilustrative picture at ISO 250. It was the same kind of discution, and after I have posted all comentaries has suddenly stopped. Now, I can't do this again, because I don't have time to look for in tens of thousands of old images, and because I am no longer a site suporter, I had to erase a lot of attachments to post a new one, so I erased all.

If you don't beleve me, it's not my problem.

Just be happy with the camera you choose.
That's fine and I'm glad that Canon is working well for you. I just have had a fairly different experience from yours.

All the camera brands make good cameras, most of it is just in knowing and understanding the interface and strengths and weaknesses of a given camera. More often than not it has more to do with the skill of the photographer than anything else with regard to the images made.
04-25-2017, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's fine and I'm glad that Canon is working well for you. I just have had a fairly different experience from yours.

All the camera brands make good cameras, most of it is just in knowing and understanding the interface and strengths and weaknesses of a given camera. More often than not it has more to do with the skill of the photographer than anything else with regard to the images made.
Yes, I have already said it. I'm a bad photographer. I don't have the skills. My bad skill makes the same camera noisyer as the time passed by.

At least, I know when to stop. Stop taking picture with a camera, stop making asumptions about someone else, ...

04-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Yes, I have already said it. I'm a bad photographer. I don't have the skills. My bad skill makes the same camera noisyer as the time passed by.

At least, I know when to stop. Stop taking picture with a camera, stop making asumptions about someone else, ...
Sorry. My second paragraph wasn't really directed at you. I wasn't meaning to say you are a bad photographer at all. I just meant that in general, we make too much of small differences in cameras. If Canon works for you, then you should definitely continue shooting with their cameras. Lots of other people do as well.
06-25-2019, 03:14 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
, Canon rep was helping me out (because I wasn't familiar with Canon AF settings, he was guiding me to use the correct settings) but I wanted to set AF Auto to try it out, and he went in small panic said "oh no no no never use this mode because the camera focuses on anything which may not be what you want to focus on". Sounds familiar? I found that interesting, because we often read from Pentax users using AF Auto and reporting miss focused photos. Canon recommends using center point or selecting a group with center of the group as primary focus point, so, in fact those DSLR system have the same problem, they can't read mind the photographer and they can't know what the subject is.
Hehe, never use this mode! They should put that in their marketing campaigns.