Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

Corel Aftershot Pro 3 now supports Pentax K1

What a battle with Corel to get their Trial free version corrected. I will take a pat on the back, thank you. I kept after Corel to update Aftershot pro 3 to include the Pentax K1. I haven't yet updated, but I will. Also using Adobe lightroom which I really like, I'll play with both and see how they compare. Lightroom is more expensive, and if you buy the key version you don't get all the tools as the one from the cloud.

Paolo

What follows is info on the free 30 day trial:
Diane Sweet (Corel)
Apr 26, 17:54 EDT
Hello,
My name is Diane Sweet and I manage the technical support team at Corel. Your support ticket has been escalated to me for review.
First I would like to apologize for not providing you the level of support you deserve. We strive for excellent customer service and this time we failed. For that I'm sorry.
In regards to the camera profile Pentax K1, it is available with our latest update that was released Tuesday April 25, 2017 and here is how I was able to access it.
1. If you arleady have AfterShot Pro 3 installed, go to Help, About AfterShot 3 and verify your version #. If the version number is not equal to 3.3.0.234, go to this link AfterShot Pro Updates to download and install Update 3.
2. Once update 3 is installed. launch AfterShot Pro 3, click on Get More on the right hand side, scroll down to Pentax and scroll down a bit more to locate K-1.
To the right, you will see a small black box with the words "Free", click on Free. It will take you to download and install what you need for Pentax K-1
(see attached screenshots)

I hope these instructions will help you obtain the camera profile you are looking for in AfterShot Pro 3.
Thank you and let me know if this answers your question,
Diane

-----------------------

Attachment(s)
PentaxK1.png

04-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Wonderful!
I've used Adobe since switching to K-1. And the Corel customer support was under every measure, when I contacted them. I had just bought an update licence.
I don't know, if I will return. I miss the ease of use in Corel products. But I'm still not forgiven the way they did not communicate.

But let us know, how it works!
04-27-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'd be interested in learning whether they have created a K-1 profile of their own, or just copied the one that is embedded in all K-1 DNG files.

PhaseOne did the latter and while Capture One Pro is my favourite RAW developer already, I truly hope that Phase One will fulfill their promise of providing a dedicated profile for every camera they support.
04-27-2017, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Sopakatti, I know how you feel as I got a run around for a couple of days. I played with adobe photoshop and I like Corel paintshop better. I do like lightroom as the tools work real well, and I bought a book to help out. But i have 27 days left on aftershot pro 3, so I'll see how that works. Adobe wants everyone to buy into their cloud, no updates, just fixes on the key version. At least Corel will give you updates.

04-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have Aftershot Pro 3.3.0.234 and it will not load K1 DNGs. It will load K3 II DNGs Go figure . Have a support ticket open on this.
04-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Rickster, I haven't tried it yet, hope I get better results than you. Corel is noted for it's terrible support. I would send your findings to Diane Sweet directly. See what she says.

Are you running the free trial version, or did you buy it?
04-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Rickster, I haven't tried it yet, hope I get better results than you. Corel is noted for it's terrible support. I would send your findings to Diane Sweet directly. See what she says.

Are you running the free trial version, or did you buy it?

I bought it. Got 30 days to decide whether to keep it or not.

Support got right on this. They asked for and I have sent a sample DNG file. Waiting for my support guy to get back. tonight.

cheers,
Rick

04-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Rickster, Let me know how this works out as no sense me trying it unless it works.

Thanks
04-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Rickster, Let me know how this works out as no sense me trying it unless it works.

Thanks

Will do Paolo!
04-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Sopakatti, I know how you feel as I got a run around for a couple of days. I played with adobe photoshop and I like Corel paintshop better. I do like lightroom as the tools work real well, and I bought a book to help out. But i have 27 days left on aftershot pro 3, so I'll see how that works. Adobe wants everyone to buy into their cloud, no updates, just fixes on the key version. At least Corel will give you updates.
I really enjoyed Corel products. I've been using them, PSP for over ten years. From the version 5 or 6, I I think. A payd license, though it was easily available cracked.

Was it Jasc at those days...

But when I need some assistance at the first time, they just sent me useless links and the same dummy questions This happened before when the first version of the After Shot kept crashing. They did not communicate at all. But luckily fixed the problem in their update.

Anyway, with some small fixes and changes the After Shot Pro would be the king of the raw-editors. If they just listened the users.
04-29-2017, 04:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
I really enjoyed Corel products. I've been using them, PSP for over ten years. From the version 5 or 6, I I think. A payd license, though it was easily available cracked.

Was it Jasc at those days...

But when I need some assistance at the first time, they just sent me useless links and the same dummy questions This happened before when the first version of the After Shot kept crashing. They did not communicate at all. But luckily fixed the problem in their update.

Anyway, with some small fixes and changes the After Shot Pro would be the king of the raw-editors. If they just listened the users.
How true. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
04-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
Rickster, I followed the instructions that were mailed to me, and I reduced the K1 dng file to 348K from 42 G due to mailing restrictions, and was able to open it in the trial ver., what I have is 3.3.0.234. It's on another computer running win 10 using 1st gen Intel I5. Had to use old computer due to the fact that I D/L / deleted the 1st trial version of Aftershot pro 3 which didn't work, and couldn't reload another Trail ver..

I loaded both K1 (dng) and K1 from "get more" which lists all supported cameras.

Did a couple of edits, don't really know pro 3, and edits worked okay.

I'm playing around with lightroom trial ver, and really like it, but corel is a lot cheaper.

Any questions,let me know.
04-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Rickster, I followed the instructions that were mailed to me, and I reduced the K1 dng file to 348K from 42 G due to mailing restrictions, and was able to open it in the trial ver., what I have is 3.3.0.234. It's on another computer running win 10 using 1st gen Intel I5. Had to use old computer due to the fact that I D/L / deleted the 1st trial version of Aftershot pro 3 which didn't work, and couldn't reload another Trail ver..

I loaded both K1 (dng) and K1 from "get more" which lists all supported cameras.

Did a couple of edits, don't really know pro 3, and edits worked okay.

I'm playing around with lightroom trial ver, and really like it, but corel is a lot cheaper.

Any questions,let me know.
3.3.0.234 is the version I have and it refuses to open DNGs from the K1. It does open DNGs from my K3 II though. It will open PEF files from the K1 - Waiting for information from Corel after sending DNG file to them. You can try opening it yourself if you could? It's on my server at http://www.rickster.org/P_K10170.DNG
04-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
rickster- It opened fine on my old computer.What do you have for a computer?
04-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

OK ... I uninstalled everything COREL on my system and re-installed Aftershot 3 Pro. This time on the GET MORE panel there was the K1 (DNG)

TADA! ;-)

That option was not there in the previous iteration. ;-)