Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

The fact that it took such an uphill battle for them to support the K-1 would tell me maybe Corel as a company and Aftershot isn't the software I'd want to rely on...

04-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far it looks pretty good. Need to work with it a bit more, but first impressions are very positive. Apparently there was something different about the K1 DNG file that had to be coded for. No big deal and it took just 2 days from the time I opened a ticket to its resolution. No to bad actually.
04-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
TADA is right. Guess you had bought an older version, but it should have updated the way I updated old Trial ver. I didn't have to do uninstall, it just updated what I had already ,old version.. I installed both K1 DNG and K1, so you should do both.

This gives me some faith now in case I want to buy, want to play with the DNG shots for shadows (brighten) once i find out where the tools are hidden.

Real happy for you as it's great to help another member and Pentax user. Tell Corel tech support you fixed it. Are you going to keep it?
04-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I probably didn't need to do the uninstall. Didn't even cross my mind they would add the K1 (DNG) . Oh well ... here's a first pass K1 with FA 50mm F/1.4 at F/5.6 1/500 ISO 100

I exported from Aftershot to Photoshop to use the framing script, otherwise all development done in Aftershot.

04-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #20

Original Poster
Train shot

Rickster, what a beautiful train shot. Nice framing.

I also have an old prime 50 mm 1.4, about 30 years old. The tool that i really like in lightroom is the dehaze, amazing what it does for the sky.

I go back and forth with lightroom vice aftershot, bu ti have to play more with both.
04-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Rickster, what a beautiful train shot. Nice framing.

I also have an old prime 50 mm 1.4, about 30 years old. The tool that i really like in lightroom is the dehaze, amazing what it does for the sky.

I go back and forth with lightroom vice aftershot, bu ti have to play more with both.
I have LR, will have to look at dehaze. Thanks for the tip.
04-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The fact that it took such an uphill battle for them to support the K-1 would tell me maybe Corel as a company and Aftershot isn't the software I'd want to rely on...
i agree as their tech support first tier isn't very good, luckily I got a manager who helped. But you can't beat the price as aftershot will give updates and Lightroom won't unless you go to the CC and pay 9.99 forever. So, a little headache, but you save money.

04-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
So far it looks pretty good. Need to work with it a bit more, but first impressions are very positive. Apparently there was something different about the K1 DNG file that had to be coded for. No big deal and it took just 2 days from the time I opened a ticket to its resolution. No to bad actually.
I take it all back!

This software is just too twitchy for my likes. It has some nice features, but the user interface lags WAY too much even on my damn fast computer. I've had 3 unexplained and non-recoverable program crashes today. I've put in a request for a refund.
04-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I just contacted Corel "support" and told them how I'm not a satisfied user anymore. I don't imagine, it changes anything. But at least they have got my feedback. It's their choice and their problem, if they don't want to react.

I'm not thinking that in this situation I will return using their products. But still, I miss the ease of use and erconomics their PSP and ASP offer compared with Adobe's.

Another sad story, but life goes on.
04-30-2017, 05:48 AM   #25

Original Poster
Rickster, good info, think I'll wait before buying. I'll continue playing with it but really like lightroom.

Corel brags how fast it is, etc., and gets good reviews, but the reviewers aren't users. Corel painshop works okay,so perhaps they will fix Aftershot as we really need an alternative to Lightroom and Capture One Pro is too much for me.

Supakatti, Sometimes companies rush out their products and depend on users as beta testers, hopefully it will get better. I keep extending Lightroom, but they take away tools in the one you buy. Many people are unhappy about this.

Yes, life goes on.
04-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I sent an email to Cleverbridge late yesterday. Had an email response this morning that my request for a refund was granted. Got to give Cleverbridge credit for a prompt response.

Paolo, In my note to Corel I told them I did not think the product was ready for release and I didn't want to be a beta tester for them. ;-)

I will watch Aftershot's progress and will possibly revisit the product at a later date.
04-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #27

Original Poster
Rick, Don't blame you, we have enough of this beta testing from MS. I'm sure in the future they will improve as for the money, hard to beat for K1 dng. Seems like you have other tools to play with, for now, I'll stick to Lightroom.

Happy shooting.

Had a friend that did train shots, and he just did it as a hobby, sold a lot of prints.

Here in W''burg,VA, lots of good nature shooting and landscapes.
04-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Rick, Don't blame you, we have enough of this beta testing from MS. I'm sure in the future they will improve as for the money, hard to beat for K1 dng. Seems like you have other tools to play with, for now, I'll stick to Lightroom.

Happy shooting.

Had a friend that did train shots, and he just did it as a hobby, sold a lot of prints.

Here in W''burg,VA, lots of good nature shooting and landscapes.
Hopefully they will clean up the code. I think there is a lot of promise in this application.

I do have PS & LR on the pay-by-month plan. I like Google's NIK Collection of plugins and a few other scripts I have for Photoshop. I haven't quite wrapped my head around Light Room yet. ;-)

Lot's of nature and landscapes here in Idaho too! ;-)
04-30-2017, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Corel sent a request for some diagnostics which I sent them. 7 minutes later I get an email with a link to download a new version. There may be hope yet. ;-)
05-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is that good, I will give it a try too. I am using LR5 at the moment and I don't have the RAW for K1 as I refuse to pay for LR CC.