Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
It was fairly priced a year ago given Ricoh needs to underprice similar Canikon offerings to compete and/or increase market share. Ricoh knows the K-1 still gives "the most bang for the buck" at the current price and sees no need for a price drop.

Well said!

I also shoot Nikon cameras and have a number of Nikkor lenses.

Currently at B&H, Nikon's full-frame flagship D810 costs $713 more than the Pentax's full-frame flagship K1.

I choose to shoot the K1 over the D810 because I believe the K1 better meets my needs.

If the Nikon D810 cost exactly the same as the Pentax K1, I'd still buy the K1 over the D810 because I believe the K1 is the better overall camera.

Compared with the competition, the Pentax K1 is a real bargain at its' current price!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-30-2017 at 12:12 PM.
05-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I choose to shoot the K1 over the D810 because I believe the K1 better meets my needs.
I chose to switch from Canon EOS to Pentax K-1 because of the Sony sensor and most of it, for the Shake Reduction mode (IBIS) with any kind of lenses... despite the fact that I had to change original mount of my Leica lenses to Leitax/Pentax...

If the Nikon D810 cost exactly the same as the Pentax K1, I'd still buy the K1 over the D810 because I believe the K1 is the better overall camera.
So should I... because of my needs.

Compared with the competition, the Pentax K1 is a real bargain at its' current price!
Absolutly. But in France, prices have skyrocketed, from 1999€ when I bought it in November 2016 until now at 2299€!!
05-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Absolutly. But in France, prices have skyrocketed, from 1999€ when I bought it in November 2016 until now at 2299€!!

And now imagine if you had bought one of the very first ones for about 1600 EUR ...

05-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And now imagine if you had bought one of the very first ones for about 1600 EUR ...
Actually, it has never been that price in France. It began at 1999€ and I bought mine, one of the last ones at this price before increasing at 2099€ in November 2016...

05-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The price rises in Europe are probably saying something about demand and/or the margin expected or needed to retail the K-1 there. That said, my observation is that European and UK prices for electronic and optical goods have tended to be noticeably higher than for the same products in the US, since the early 1980s.

Here in Australia, the K-1 has undergone one comparatively modest price rise since its launch, but it still mostly beats the competition on price, even with their ongoing cash-back and other discount offers. I expect the next round of releases from Canon and Nikon to be much higher in price (as with Nikon's D500), as the current discounting smacks of major inventory-clearing.
05-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #21

The prices are higher in the UK and EU because of VAT and probably higher added cost due to consumer protection policies in those countries. Pretty sure they get a 2yr warranty instead of 1 in the US and I think Australia.
05-05-2017, 01:33 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by francis01832 Quote
The prices are higher in the UK and EU because of VAT and probably higher added cost due to consumer protection policies in those countries. Pretty sure they get a 2yr warranty instead of 1 in the US and I think Australia.
If you strip VAT out of the equation, you still have a considerable disparity (we have a 10% GST/VAT in Australia, which is less than in Europe). I understand that European laws require a longer warranty period than elsewhere, but given the propensity for failures of modern electronically-based goods to largely occur early or late in life, the actual marginal cost to the seller is probably not as great as we may think at first sight (retailers' purchased extended warranties here are money for jam, because of that).