Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Astonishing how solid the K-1 price has been.

The current price for the K-1 in the US is almost exactly the same as I paid when the camera first came out a year ago. Unlike earlier cameras there are no bargains available (on Ebay, Amazon or Google Search) for either US warranted or grey market cameras that I can find. The same holds for the new lenses except that several of them (the 150-450 for example) have increased in price. This must be an indication of strong sales.Prices have varied based on currency fluctuations but the base price seems to have stayed pretty constant. I,for one, am glad to see this.

04-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Australian distributer has increased the initial price by a small amount..some online sellers have it slightly cheaper,others have it above rrp....I wish the DFA lenses would drop a bit in price.Please Santa?
04-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This must be an indication of strong sales.
Or careful balancing between demand and production.
04-29-2017, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's a clear indication of how underpriced the K-1 is considering what it offers. Heck, we've all known Pentax' cameras have
been very good value for a long time.

I fully expect the K-3ii successor to be priced higher than we've seen in years past for a APS-C flagship. And I definitely expect any
Pentax FF to be released at a much higher price. We've already seen one price hike for the K-1. It will be interesting to see if the K-1
even increases again before coming down in price.

04-29-2017, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #5

Combination of higher demand than supply due to the sensor shortage from last year. It's not competing as hard as Nikon and Canon against each other (K1 pretty much sells itself to it's audience). It's not competing against itself, there's no other Pentax Digital FF so there's no fighting against it. It's a camera that exist in it's own bubble. It's well priced too, and you usually don't see camera pricing tank until there's a replacement or rumors about it.
I want a K1 but my old camera refuses to die.
04-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, there's nothing out there pushing the value of the K-1 down. It's underpriced at $1749 and people are still going for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2017, 01:32 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by francis01832 Quote
Combination of higher demand than supply due to the sensor shortage from last year. It's not competing as hard as Nikon and Canon against each other (K1 pretty much sells itself to it's audience). It's not competing against itself, there's no other Pentax Digital FF so there's no fighting against it. It's a camera that exist in it's own bubble. It's well priced too, and you usually don't see camera pricing tank until there's a replacement or rumors about it.
I want a K1 but my old camera refuses to die.
I don't want my K-5IIs to die anytime soon either. But if and when it does, I want the K-3II/APS-C successor to be available!

04-30-2017, 03:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is selling as many as they want to a month. Drop the price and they might not be able to keep up with demand.

It is still a really good value and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another for that price.
04-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In Europe the price has only increased. Started out at 2000 euro and is now 2200 or 2300. The longer I wait the more expensive it gets
04-30-2017, 03:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some has to do with the value of the yen, too, I believe.
04-30-2017, 03:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The first increase had, the latest one is something else.
04-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strong used prices also speak to the story. Yesterday I saw a used K-1 at one of my local camera stores at $1,600.
04-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought a K1 when it first came out. It's the best stills camera I've ever owned, and don't see myself shooting any other body for years to come.

While my 36-megapixel K1 is very rugged and reliable, I felt that I still needed a second body for a backup.

All of my glass is full-frame these days. I thought about buying a Pentax APS-C body for a back up, but realized that after shooting a K1 for the last year that I would not be happy with anything else.

So, last week I purchased a second K1 as a backup. I found a deal on a used one with 400 clicks for only $1475 USD. It even came with a transferable 3-year extended warranty. This K1 was an exceptional find, as most of the other used K1's that I've seen had more clicks and were in the $1,600 range (without any kind of warranty).

If you are patient and watchful, you too may eventually find a deal on a used K1.

Nikon's 24-megapixel full-frame D600 was released 5 years ago. It is known for having serious and recurring "oily shutter" problems. Used prices for a decent D600 these days is $900 to $1100 USD. The Pentax K1 is a MUCH better camera than the Nikon D600. So, I don't think you'll be seeing $1,000 prices on used K1's for a long LONG time.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-30-2017 at 09:31 AM.
04-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The current price for the K-1 in the US is almost exactly the same as I paid when the camera first came out a year ago. Unlike earlier cameras there are no bargains available (on Ebay, Amazon or Google Search) for either US warranted or grey market cameras that I can find. The same holds for the new lenses except that several of them (the 150-450 for example) have increased in price. This must be an indication of strong sales.Prices have varied based on currency fluctuations but the base price seems to have stayed pretty constant. I,for one, am glad to see this.
i agree , and will wait until the price drops.
04-30-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #15

It was fairly priced a year ago given Ricoh needs to underprice similar Canikon offerings to compete and/or increase market share. Ricoh knows the K-1 still gives "the most bang for the buck" at the current price and sees no need for a price drop.