Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2017, 04:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapted Nikkor Lens on Pentax K1 - How'd It Do?

I've been a Nikon shooter for about 30 years. I still have a number of Nikkor lenses.

One of the legendary Nikkors that I still own is the 105mm f/2.5 Ai lens. I have a good copy of this lens and wondered, "How would it fair on my Pentax K1 camera?"

I've adapted many Zeiss ZF "Classic" and "Milvus" lenses to Pentax K mount using Leitax adapters. I had an extra Leitax adapter laying around, so I thought I'd put it on this old legendary Nikkor lens and see how it performed.

The Leitax adapter installation went well, and the adapted Nikkor fit perfectly onto my K1. Shooting in the "aperture priority mode" worked great.

Below are a few, quick, handheld test shots I just took. Overall, the lens performed very well on my K1.

When I compare these test shots I took with my $200 USD Nikkor 105mm lens to similar test shots I've taken with premium/expensive Pentax glass (A 85mm f/1.4) and Zeiss glass (ZF 100mm f/2 Makro Planar) I have to say that I slightly prefer the Pentax and the Zeiss images over the Nikkor images. While the Nikkor images are indeed very good, the much more expensive Pentax and Zeiss lenses produced images that I considered to have a bit better: detail, color, and bokeh. But, I guess that I should not be surprised to find that I prefer the images taken with lenses that cost over $1,000 to images taken with a $200 lens.

Maybe more modern and/or expensive Nikon Nikkor lenses would compare more favorably with premium Pentax and Zeiss glass when shot on a K1? I'm now thinking of maybe Leitaxing and testing one of my expensive Nikkor telephotos lenses on my K1. Stay tuned...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.
05-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They still look pretty nice, although I see what you mean about the colours. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see some pictures taken in full sun. The colour differences must lie in the glass or coatings, or a combination of both.
05-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
They still look pretty nice, although I see what you mean about the colours. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see some pictures taken in full sun. The colour differences must lie in the glass or coatings, or a combination of both.
Yes, it was very cloudy and rainy today. Maybe I'll have to take a few more photos when the sun is out in a couple of days.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
05-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Funny enough i just received this lens in the mail today so i love seeing these photos.
Mine had fungus which took a half hour to clean. It attaches firmly enough to bike with but just shy of infinity when tight. Tests show great promise.

05-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Below are a few, quick, handheld test shots I just took. Overall, the lens performed very well on my K1.
I used to own this lens back in the days. It was my favorite along with the 55mm f2.8 Micro. And oh yeh my trusty F3. You are bringing back good memories. The color and the contrast are incredible. Did you tweak the colors or the contrast? Because if you did not. Then these are just as good as any Pentax prime I have.

Thanks for sharing.
05-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Did you tweak the colors or the contrast? Because if you did not. Then these are just as good as any Pentax prime I have.

Thanks for sharing.
All I did in post on these was: adjust levels, resize, and sharpen.