Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Is it possible to program the K-1 for multiple long exposures?

Just purchased the K-1 and wanted to know if it is possible to program it for multiple long exposures, say 10 at around 40 sec? If not, does the Wi-Fi app allow you to make manual long exposures above 30 seconds?

05-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interval shooting ?
05-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
page 61-62 in the manual...

edit: sorry for my non-relevant post. i originally mis-read your request as intervals 'from 10 to 40 seconds'...

Last edited by todd; 05-06-2017 at 03:00 PM.
05-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
The maximum shutter is limited to 30 seconds when using the interval menu.

05-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Just purchased the K-1 and wanted to know if it is possible to program it for multiple long exposures, say 10 at around 40 sec? If not, does the Wi-Fi app allow you to make manual long exposures above 30 seconds?
Sadly not. With the addition of being able to set a fixed exposure in bulb mode beyond the 30 seconds available in other modes I had hoped they would enable interval shooting in bulb as well, but it hasn't been. Hopefully just an oversight and they will fix that up in a future firmware update.

In the meantime we are stuck with having to use an external intervalometer.
05-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay. With an external intervalometer are you able to circumvent that restriction?
05-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Okay. With an external intervalometer are you able to circumvent that restriction?
Sure can. I use one of these: Timer Remote Shutter Cord for CANON RS-60E3 / PENTAX CS-205 / CONTAX LA-50 - JJC, you can buy them (and other options) from your favorite retailer/ebay. Just remember that the K-1 has a dedicated remote port, so it uses the stereo mini jack (same as Canon's that don't use their proprietary N3 port), the K-70 and K-P use a tri-channel mini jack as the remote uses the microphone port. It looks like you can now get 3rd party intervalometers for the K-70/K-P so there are now two very similar looking setups for Pentax. You should be able to use an adapter to switch anyway, but it is worth keeping in mind.

05-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for that information. That is a relief. The reason that I am interested in this feature is that I will also be using the K-1 with a unit that controls the shutter while moving the camera and many of the on-board programs use long exposure times such as 100 sec intervals. I assume then that this would function the same as the Timer Remote Shutter Cords would.
05-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #9

Thanks for that information. That is a relief. The reason that I am interested in this feature is that I will also be using the K-1 with a unit that controls the shutter while moving the camera and many of the on-board programs use long exposure times such as 100 sec intervals. I assume then that this would function the same as the Timer Remote Shutter Cords would.
As long as there is a cable running from the control unit that is used to remotely trip the shutter, it shouldn't be a problem. My mount for my telescope has something similar, a cable release output - as it happens it is a 2.5mm mini jack (designed principally for Canon, and 2.5mm plugs are dirt cheap, it just happens to be that the K-1 uses the same cable jack), though there are adapters available for other makes. The mount's hand controller can than be programmed to trip the shutter - I don't actually use this feature as I prefer to use the intervalometer I liked before, but the idea is the same.
05-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
Sounds good and thanks for that information. I ordered a 2.5 mm cable and hopefully this will work out. I am new to this. Last night I took the Star Adventurer out and followed the instructions of the polar alignment, my first time. Although I didn't have it trip the shutter, I did so using the wifi. My biggest problem was figuring out what I could move after the alignment, but I think after last night that I have figured that out...............I think. I need to get some filters, especially for a bright moon. I took photos with the astrotracer on and off and played some with the settings of the K-1. I have much to learn. I am unfamiliar with the digital filters and the many settings available. This is quite a camera.