Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
3200 is it for me as well.
I don't have a big problem using high ISO routinely. My mindset is that more photos are ruined by camera movement or bad focus than high ISO
this attached photo was taken at 12,800 with decent lighting at 1/5000 and F/14 using an FA300 f/2.8 lens. --- hand held.

I put the camera in the P mode, --- force the ISO high. When you drive up on a herd of elk as here you want to get out of the car and take some photos quick.
With the camera already set to a high ISO even though it's a pretty long lens you don't worry about motion/dof/focus issues. you don't have time
Likewise getting out the tripod etc. may not get you the best photo.... IT may well be a photo of an empty field. I've also got an FA600 F/4 and I'll do hand held wild life/bird photos with
it as well. After I get a bunch of photos, if my target is still there, I may if I think of it, lower the ISO and take some more

05-20-2017, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
there's not just noise you then have to deal with, your dynamic range and colours start to take a hammering.
Exactly! Noise is not usually the biggest problem, it is DR and colors that suffer the most at very high ISOs.

There are exceptions I find, but very rarely. This one held up fair at S ISO 12800, better than I normally expect the color to hold.

f2.8 handheld 1/80 ISO 12800 @ 200mm

Regards!

Just now shot this one....heavy crop...ISO 3200 - Which I agree is about the limit for decent results in most cases.

Last edited by Rupert; 05-20-2017 at 02:09 PM.
06-12-2017, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I took this a few days go - ISO20000, needed to get a shutter speed fast enough to freeze movement of energetic musicians...DR has suffered as highlights have blown in a few places, but nothing awful, colour has held up quite well. DNG processed in DXO 11, subsequent tweaking of TIFF file in Sagelight.

K1 and DA*300mm -cross posted from long lenses thread

06-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I went to 5000 for grandchildren in dim room...excellent results

06-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have kept auto ISO limit to 6400 for indoors and during night. Am pleased with the results and anything more will not be usable. Yet to test the ISO capability in low light outdoors.
06-16-2017, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I usually employ flash to try not to go beyond ISO 1600, Dericali, because there's not just noise you then have to deal with, your dynamic range and colours start to take a hammering.
I agree, I don't know why the DR and colours are rarely referred to when folk talk about high ISO. I find images start to appear flatter and less 'interesting' as the ISO starts to climb, and quite rapidly too. For me, I get 'nervous if the ISO goes above 400, to be honest. Yes, you can do a lot in post, and I do, but going beyond 800 and I've started to consider the results will not be suitable for large prints, which is my target - the fine tonal variations get lost in particular. No problems if viewing on screen, but then most things do, iPhones included. However, if your output is large prints, things are different.

As an aside, I do wonder why we often lug heavy cameras with weighty, expensive lenses, when the output is only ever going to be a screen viewing. ISO, noise, DR etc hardly matter when viewed on most platforms, soc media especially. I suppose, my mindset is that I may miss getting a shot with the best IQ so I persevere and lug, when modern, quality, point and shoot would be far more appropriate. Habit ? Apologies, a bit off-topic ...
06-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I agree, I don't know why the DR and colours are rarely referred to when folk talk about high ISO. I find images start to appear flatter and less 'interesting' as the ISO starts to climb, and quite rapidly too. For me, I get 'nervous if the ISO goes above 400, to be honest. Yes, you can do a lot in post, and I do, but going beyond 800 and I've started to consider the results will not be suitable for large prints, which is my target - the fine tonal variations get lost in particular. No problems if viewing on screen, but then most things do, iPhones included. However, if your output is large prints, things are different.

As an aside, I do wonder why we often lug heavy cameras with weighty, expensive lenses, when the output is only ever going to be a screen viewing. ISO, noise, DR etc hardly matter when viewed on most platforms, soc media especially. I suppose, my mindset is that I may miss getting a shot with the best IQ so I persevere and lug, when modern, quality, point and shoot would be far more appropriate. Habit ? Apologies, a bit off-topic ...
Ya, I can see this. These days , it's been a few years since we attended a craft show or sold a print. The logistics of 4 dogs and 2 people trying to both look after the dogs and man a booth is just too demanding and or expensive. Which has me wondering, why did I buy a K-1? And the only reason I can come up with is, I was still clinging to the idea of possibly doing some large size printing for the craft show circuit.

In the last little while it's become really apparent that's probably not ever going to happen again, which has me thinking, about dumping gear. I only bought expensive gear to keep up with the other photographers at the shows. If I don't go to the shows, there's just no reason.

06-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya, I can see this. These days , it's been a few years since we attended a craft show or sold a print. The logistics of 4 dogs and 2 people trying to both look after the dogs and man a booth is just too demanding and or expensive. Which has me wondering, why did I buy a K-1? And the only reason I can come up with is, I was still clinging to the idea of possibly doing some large size printing for the craft show circuit.

In the last little while it's become really apparent that's probably not ever going to happen again, which has me thinking, about dumping gear. I only bought expensive gear to keep up with the other photographers at the shows. If I don't go to the shows, there's just no reason.
But there still is the joy of using the K-1 and the results it produces which is a good reason for keeping it.
06-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
But there still is the joy of using the K-1 and the results it produces which is a good reason for keeping it.
Ya, I'll end up keeping it. You have to pick your extravagances.
06-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guessed normhead, it's the show circuit and printing to A1 size. The K-3 did that fine at 100/200 ISO, but the K-1 offers a good size square crop and a little more wiggle room all round.