Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Can't afford the 15-30 I'm afraid. Maybe in the future. The Irix will do for now, I don't think I ever shot into the sun before so not likely to start now!

06-05-2017, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K1 ordered and Irix 15mm Firefly. Can't wait. I have found in the past that every time I get new equipment it revitalises my interest and sparks new motivation. Looking forward to posting some pics!
06-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well my K1 has arrived and I have been going through the setup options (so many!). I can't seem to turn SR on, it is greyed out in the menu. So I obviously have some other option selected that is prohibiting SR. So my question is, what? Have gone through all the menu options and the manual, but nothing is leaping out at me! Help!
I don't have my lens yet so it's a bit frustrating not being able to take any shots yet. Love the feel of it and the typical great Pentax layout, really missed that.
06-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
K1 ordered and Irix 15mm Firefly. Can't wait. I have found in the past that every time I get new equipment it revitalises my interest and sparks new motivation. Looking forward to posting some pics!
Please do thorough testing of your Irix 15mm when you get it. I ordered two of them (Firefly) from two different vendors and both could not focus to infinity on my K-1. Another member experienced the same issue with their copy.

Not all copies are bad, just make sure yours fully works before the return window is closed!

I'm also interested in your personal take on your Nikon gear. What exactly kept you from feeling comfortable with the Nikon gear? You had a serious DSLR and the landscape lens for Nikon so I'm wondering about this.

On and please ensure your K-1 isn't set to 2-second timer -- when the timer is enabled, SR is automatically disabled. (that's actually handy for landscape shots on a tripod btw)

06-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks mee. Got me worried about the Irix lens now! I purchased it locally (nearest capital city) so shouldn't be a worry to return it if need be.

The D800 is an excellent camera, it just didn't feel the same as using a Pentax. After owning 4 Pentax cameras it was a bit strange to use a different system. The Nikon never felt intuitive to use. As for the 14-24mm I have to admit I took some great images with that lens but overall I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I think I actually preferred the Sigma 10-20, which is tantamount to heresy, I admit.

I will check the timer. Could it be that it won't activate without a lens attached?
06-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #21
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Thanks mee. Got me worried about the Irix lens now! I purchased it locally (nearest capital city) so shouldn't be a worry to return it if need be.

The D800 is an excellent camera, it just didn't feel the same as using a Pentax. After owning 4 Pentax cameras it was a bit strange to use a different system. The Nikon never felt intuitive to use. As for the 14-24mm I have to admit I took some great images with that lens but overall I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I think I actually preferred the Sigma 10-20, which is tantamount to heresy, I admit.

I will check the timer. Could it be that it won't activate without a lens attached?
Well looking back I see you ordered a Blackstone and all 3 issues were on the Firefly version of the 15 f/2.4 -- I think you'll be OK.

Thank you for your thoughts on Nikon. That Sigma 10-20 is a nice lens for crop -- fairly small and accepts 77mm threaded filters. I have that one too and miss having something comparable for Full Frame now.

If you do not have a lens attached, I'm not sure the SR would engage as the SR algorithm works based off of lens focal length.
06-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was originally going to buy the Blackstone but got the Firefly instead. Hope it's ok....

Pretty sure you are right, the SR won't activate until a lens is installed.
The other minor issue I have is trying to set the focus points, I only get the option for Select or Single not 9 or 33. Anyone know why this is so?
06-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only single focus point is available with manual focus lenses: that gem is hidden on page 108 of the K1 manual 'Functions Available with Various Lenses'. Hope that helps.

Enjoy your new K1! I've had one from the first shipments in UK, and it still puts a smile on my face whenever I use it.

06-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Only single focus point is available with manual focus lenses: that gem is hidden on page 108 of the K1 manual 'Functions Available with Various Lenses'. Hope that helps.

Enjoy your new K1! I've had one from the first shipments in UK, and it still puts a smile on my face whenever I use it.
Mystifying isn't it? I still use my K-3 extensively, but holding the K-1 just makes me happy. I have no idea why.

My current wide angle is an FA-J 18-35. It's cheap, but useable, A DA 10-17 fisheye is FF down to 15mm, my Sigma 8-16 is FF down to 14mm. SO, even without the 15-30, which is more than I'm willing to pay, I do have some options.

It's also one of my pet peeves that Pentax hasn't produce a relatively inexpensive ƒ4 - ƒ5.6 12-24 or at least 18-35 type lens. I could scrape up $1000 on a tax return. A DFA 15-30 would take me three years.

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2017 at 07:26 AM.
06-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 15-30/2.8 is very nice but if that is too expensive, the Rokinon 14/2.8 is an amazing value. I really like both lenses very much and the 14 is noticeably wider. It's also a lot more compact.
Ah, I see you are getting an Irix now. I'll be interested to see how you like it.
06-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah ok so only single point focus for MF lenses.

Still waiting for my Irix, the camera store had no stock so they had to get one in and it's taking longer than I expected. So frustrating having the K1 sitting on the table with no lens! And of course every time I look outside it is a perfect day for landscape photos.
Will post my first reactions when I get the opportunity.