Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing to see how far cosplay photography has taken you, physically and as a photographer. Meanwhile, I've just stuck around L.A. County cons... You're doing a great job with your photography, and thanks for sharing your knowledge. I haven't met anyone who uses an ND filter for their photos, and I can see how you could achieve a shallower DOF on a bright day with flash.

BTW, were you at Hanadoki Con? I think I saw your watermark on a local cosplayer's photo. And will you be at Anime Expo? Then maybe the only Pentaxians in the community will be in one place.

05-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Glad you see another portrait/people photographer enjoying the K-1. I've had mine for a little over a year now as well as the FA 85. Used to get shots of cosplayers back in the K-01 days. I learned a lot back then.
Cosplayers really push you a bit harder, I think, because the costumes have more pieces that need editing and so many people in the hobby just want to make a quick click and get something they can edit the heck out of in Photoshop. Really makes you pay more attention to detail!

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Amazing to see how far cosplay photography has taken you, physically and as a photographer. Meanwhile, I've just stuck around L.A. County cons... You're doing a great job with your photography, and thanks for sharing your knowledge. I haven't met anyone who uses an ND filter for their photos, and I can see how you could achieve a shallower DOF on a bright day with flash.
For people you might know, Shutterbug Sam uses one, at least on occasion. He just had a post on IG about it; he only has a 3 and a 6 stopper. He also finds his 6 to be hard to work with because it's so dark but he has more powerful lights than I do.

There's another guy in Texas, B.Tse Photo, who uses them too. He's still senpai to me and the costog I look up to most, although I didn't get the ND technique from him, only found out he uses them too a bit later. But otherwise you're right that not many use them, at least from what I have seen.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, were you at Hanadoki Con? I think I saw your watermark on a local cosplayer's photo. And will you be at Anime Expo? Then maybe the only Pentaxians in the community will be in one place.
I WAS! Maybe we were standing next to each other and didn't know it? I shot with Mari (v5spinks) and Tiffdawg there, as well as a couple others, but those two have posted the shots I returned to them.

I won't be at AX. I think that con is too big for me anyway, but every July 4th I head back to Michigan to give a talk at MSU. I am thinking Wondercon next year, though! And not sure when yet (because SpaceX had a setback) but I'll have regular trips out to LA probably starting in the fall.
05-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
A friend of mine did a convention in Singapore. Cosplay photos there really work differently! Here in USA, we don't grow up and grown women have no issues putting on silly costumes and going out in public places to take photos.

I'd like to see some of your scenery! Do you get to travel around Asia? Some really cool stuff near you. I'm hoping to visit Singapore sometime in the coming years.

Hi Justin,

Here is my Flickr gallery/albums. I hope you can view them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/felixkh/albums
05-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

For people you might know, Shutterbug Sam uses one, at least on occasion. He just had a post on IG about it; he only has a 3 and a 6 stopper. He also finds his 6 to be hard to work with because it's so dark but he has more powerful lights than I do.

There's another guy in Texas, B.Tse Photo, who uses them too. He's still senpai to me and the costog I look up to most, although I didn't get the ND technique from him, only found out he uses them too a bit later. But otherwise you're right that not many use them, at least from what I have seen.
I'm gonna have to follow these guys and see what results they get. Thanks for the info!

QuoteQuote:
I WAS! Maybe we were standing next to each other and didn't know it? I shot with Mari (v5spinks) and Tiffdawg there, as well as a couple others, but those two have posted the shots I returned to them.

I won't be at AX. I think that con is too big for me anyway, but every July 4th I head back to Michigan to give a talk at MSU. I am thinking Wondercon next year, though! And not sure when yet (because SpaceX had a setback) but I'll have regular trips out to LA probably starting in the fall.
I didn't make it out to Hanadoki Con, and I'm sure we would've noticed each other since we'd be the only photogs out there with a K-1. And yeah, I saw your watermark on Mari's photo. (Nice work, btw.)

Fall is a bit of a quiet time for cons in L.A. The biggest is Comikaze (a.k.a. Stan Lee's Comic Con) in October. The other is Pacific Media Expo which is held in November, but from the looks of things right now, it might not be happening.

WonderCon is pretty nice, but it keeps getting bigger and bigger every year. Not as crazy as AX yet, though.

05-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Feel free to message me if you want tips or have questions! For the most part, though, you just have to learn by doing. Knowing where to put the light or what will work is just a matter or intuition.
Thank you for the offer. I will PM you shortly for some tips if you do not mind.

The last time I shot in the same place, it was earlier in the day by a few hours and I was able to use a reflector to fill in the shadows. I got the mom to be my assistant and hold the reflector. We were in rock formations and it was hard and I had no time to set up anything on a stand. I'll see if the senior portrait mom may hold my flashlight this time. I am assuming you used a soft-box. My last shoot was with a K3 and 31/43/77 lenses. This time it will be the K1 so If I can mange the light, I would like to shoot wider apertures for better bokeh. I like to go light. The lens that I really wanna try is the Tamron 70-200 but I may leave that one at home for a lighter package.

The main problem I will face is that I have no ND filter. If I get more assignments like these, I have to get a few for my FA Limited lenses. I do have step up/down rings to make it work with one set of filters on the smaller mounts... the Tamron is another story.
05-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Look who I ran into today.
05-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Look who I ran into today.
Yah! Her Maid D.Va is super duper cute. I hope you said "Hi" to her for me! (I guess I could do that myself online....anyway)

05-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It truly is super cute. And she was, of course, quite popular that day. Just check out her latest Instagram post to see what I mean. As a result, I didn't get to chat with her much. Just glad that I was able to shoot her D.Va maid outfit.