Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, even my K-3 is way better than me. Which is part of why I don't have a K-1.

That said, just knowing I have great gear makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. And I'm sure I get better results when I enjoy what I do.

And that's my official excuse for acquiring new stuff

05-18-2017, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's more camera than I'll ever need.

(looks over to the 645Z in the corner of the room)
I'll have to make really big pizzas if you end up down this way to make the most of the Z res....

---------- Post added 18-05-17 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I got my K-1 and now I'm afraid to lean over a bridge rail to get a great shot for fear of dropping it. I even worry about carrying it by its strap and I almost put out over a grand for a new lens similar to one I already have just because my lens isn't a Pentax lens and I didn't want to insult my K-1. Ok, there I said it. I'm no good for this camera! I have a great shot and the first thing I think about is is it safe to use my K-1..... I've got to go back to my PZ-1p and film with no sensor to burn out.
If yah lived closer Bob I get you around for a few drinks and help you work through this......

---------- Post added 18-05-17 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Every time I pick up my K-1 and flick the on switch I hear the camera saying:

"Thank you master for turning me on, do with me whatever you want - you are sooo good".

"And please don't let any of the PF posters who confess they are inadequate go near me."

"I want you ! Your fingers stroke my buttons and knobs like nobody else can".

Cheers
I think you've found a K-1 with special needs... and I'm sorta glad you don't live too close.....

---------- Post added 18-05-17 at 06:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
A year on and I still have no need for a K-1 ...
The use of the word "need" tells me you're overthinking things.....

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-18-2017 at 02:18 AM.
05-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K-1 to have a full-frame Pentax digital camera (and moreover one I'll never grow out of)... yet I'm still homesick for my MX while Eric is buffing and tuning it, and I still have my K-5 and a pre-loved *istDS that I shoot with on occasion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I almost put out over a grand for a new lens similar to one I already have just because my lens isn't a Pentax lens and I didn't want to insult my K-1.
I will put my Vivitar (non-Kiron, non-Komine) 28mm f/2.8 on mine as soon as I get home!!! (I think it's already briefly had the Industar 50/3.5 on it...)
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Every time I pick up my K-1 and flick the on switch I hear the camera saying:

"Thank you master for turning me on, do with me whatever you want - you are sooo good".

"And please don't let any of the PF posters who confess they are inadequate go near me."

"I want you ! Your fingers stroke my buttons and knobs like nobody else can"
Ew. LOL you're over-invested. Even @Kerrowdown isn't quite this bad.
05-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You lack imagination.

05-18-2017, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Count me in!

This line of thought will surely spawn new threads:

"Humans are Doooooomed!"

"Quick Suggestions for Firmware Upgrades for Humans"

"If Humans Don't Get World Class Photography Skills Soon, I'm Switching!"

Last edited by photoptimist; 05-18-2017 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typo because I'm human
05-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #21

Well, I love my K1, even if I don't use half its features. After a brief affair with my Ricoh GRll it's back to the K1 for most things. But I love having three very different cameras to use. K1 for general creative shooting, landscapes and portraits. GR for sneaky street shooting and outdoor events. And my Olympus EM1 in silent mode for indoor events, where it excels.
05-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here. Haven't reached the limits of my K-3 yet, except maybe high-ISO-wise, and APS-C with its excellent balance of IQ, convenience, and affordability simply does it for me. And much as I appreciate that Pentax has something to offer in the FF department, I'm rather interested in how the APS-C story will go on, especially at the high end. That said, good glass is more important to me than constant camera upgrades anyway, which means that I tend to skip camera generations before I get a new body, or may wait till that model is well into its production cycle.

The prospect of having to carry around bulkier FF equipment all the time would possibly lead to more situations where I would decide against taking any camera at all, and then in fact I would lose photographic potential instead of gaining it. So, enjoy your K-1's for the remarkable cameras they are, but remember that there is no Holy Grail in photography, or at least people's views on what constitutes it will vary. Which is a good thing IMO.

05-18-2017, 01:16 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's more camera than I'll ever need.

(looks over to the 645Z in the corner of the room)

I can say the same on account of both cameras. I decided not to let lack of self-confidence or skill level be limiting factors. When I get it right with either camera the results are a pure delight. They challenge me to keep learning and shooting. I've taken some great shots with my iPhone, but at the end of the day, its limited dynamic range and depth of field make me wish I could have taken the same pictures with my K-1 or the 645Z. Both cameras are an indulgence for this enthusiast photographer. On the other hand, their expense will be amortized over years of use and enjoyment. Each in their own way make me slow down and take my time. In an instant world, it is their true gift.
05-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Even @Kerrowdown isn't quite this bad
Really... that's indeed high praise coming from you.
05-18-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thirty-six years on, and I have no need for anything better than my K2DMD. Of course, that has rarely stopped me!

Headroom is good - no matter how hard you try, you can rarely find yourself limited.
05-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thirty-six years on, and I have no need for anything better than my K2DMD. Of course, that has rarely stopped me!
Headroom is good - no matter how hard you try, you can rarely find yourself limited.
At this point in time my K-5ii and a small collection of lenses does all that I need. It is only a tool - when it wears out I'll get another one, maybe Pentax, maybe something else.
05-18-2017, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
"it's me letting the K-1 down for the most part"
It could be worse. My K-5II just told me it was jumping ship.
05-18-2017, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A year or so, I picked up a new cell phone, one of the smart phones that are OH so useful. I added contacts, found out how to do so over the internet, so both are synced, I added applications and games and got to know the phone real well. A few weeks ago, I noticed, sometimes the screen would do something odd. I liked what it did, but could not figure out how I did it, and no it was not in the manual. Then I figured out how I could hold on one of the access controls and the screen would shrink down and I could quickly flip to another already opened application. This was VERY useful!

OK, Dave, what's your point? With film cameras we just had to figure out how to focus (manually), set the exposure (mostly M mode, but sometimes Auto exposure) and then press the shutter release. The film was processed, usually by a lab that knew what they were doing, and we got back out images as prints or slides (chromes).

Digital cameras of today have SO much in them that learning all they can do could be taught in a 4 year degree! And as soon as you learn the basics, they come out with a new model that has even more functions! One nice thing about Pentax, from what I have seen (and I get to see most of the other camera brands) is that the user interface remains very consistent from one model to another (I am certain, not an easy thing to accomplish). The jump from film to my K-7 had a definite learning curve. The jump from my K-7 to K-01 was easy, and the jump to the K-1 was simple also.

Just keep on using it and if you wonder if your camera can do something, assume yes, then go out and figure out how to do it!

Last edited by BigDave; 05-18-2017 at 05:39 PM.
05-18-2017, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come on, guys...a camera is just a tool. Do you feel "insufficient" for your pencil because you can't write like Hemmingway?
05-18-2017, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Come on, guys...a camera is just a tool. Do you feel "insufficient" for your pencil because you can't write like Hemmingway?
You can't establish an emotional connection with an inanimate object, but you will feel an emotional response as a result of using it. Any craftsman will tell you that a tool has to feel right in the hand, in order to get the best out of it. Cameras are no different, but some people notice the emotional response more than others. Neither response is right or wrong - they're just different.

I always felt more inclined to draw with a Staedler clutch pencil than a cheap wooden pencil, and I didn't care if my drafting wasn't as good as the person using one, but I think my drawing was better for using the Staedler, simply because I enjoyed using it, so I practised more. So it is with my camera.