Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You can't establish an emotional connection with an inanimate object,
My wife fired this shot across my bow after I'd retired a few years ago ........

05-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't establish an emotional connection with an inanimate object
"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I always felt more inclined to draw with a Staedler clutch pencil than a cheap wooden pencil
I have a collection of these. Far more than I need. Clutch pencils are old technology. As are my slide rules. As are my S1a, my Spotmatic F, my Takumar lenses, my CCD-chipped Pentax DSLR (*istDS), and a hunting rifle that is old enough to be my father, chambered for ammunition which was old hat when my grandfather was born. I haven't yet gone over to steel reels for developing, but everything I have in plastic could just as easily have been made in Bakelite.

There is a theme here, and I wonder how many Pentaxians share it. For many of us I suspect the K-1 is a concession to the new, but if the MZ-D (first Pentax full-frame) had gone into production and served out its time, I suspect many of us today would have bought it used in lieu.
05-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #33

If the K1 was perfect, every shot I take would only require me to compose. It isn't, because I have to hold it still to prevent movement blur. It is a fine camera which does not really limit my ability. It isn't needed, but it is so much fun to use that it is the reason I use it.

In a similar way I upgraded from a mode-of-transport to a fun car. I didn't need to, but driving now is fun.

My K1 was expensive but I've paid for it. I use it (even in a Holiday festival) as it is a tool.

I still have fun and admire its craftsmanship.
05-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My wife fired this shot across my bow after I'd retired a few years ago ........
Now, that's a variation on the old message "I married you for better or worse, but not for lunch".

---------- Post added 19th May 2017 at 11:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"Hold my beer and watch this..."

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have a collection of these. Far more than I need. Clutch pencils are old technology. As are my slide rules. As are my S1a, my Spotmatic F, my Takumar lenses, my CCD-chipped Pentax DSLR (*istDS), and a hunting rifle that is old enough to be my father, chambered for ammunition which was old hat when my grandfather was born. I haven't yet gone over to steel reels for developing, but everything I have in plastic could just as easily have been made in Bakelite.

There is a theme here, and I wonder how many Pentaxians share it. For many of us I suspect the K-1 is a concession to the new, but if the MZ-D (first Pentax full-frame) had gone into production and served out its time, I suspect many of us today would have bought it used in lieu.
I reckon you're onto something there, and it isn't just nostalgia, it's about sticking with a device that, when you use it, becomes an extension of yourself – it doesn't feel alien. Not all Pentax users are going to look at their equipment and regard it that way, but I wouldn't mind laying odds that most long-term users do, and not just about their Pentax gear.

05-19-2017, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

You could argue that a vintage Martin is just a tool for making sounds and a '94 Latour is just a tool for getting intoxicated. Pentaxians know better, poetic souls that we are.
11-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #36

Did my Fuji X70 and Sony RX100 V prepare me for what is coming? We shall soon see.

Mike
11-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #37

After 2 years, I admit that I don't have many images that look significantly better than with my K20D. I have printed 13"x 19" with both cameras, and they both look good. The big adjustment was in the DoF, which works both ways. I can get great shallow DoF with the K-1 but the K20D spoiled me in the area of wide angle photos. Now I have to remember to stop down more often on landscape photos.

The big improvement was in quality high ISO with the K-1. OTOH the K-1 requires higher sensitivity for stopping down to get the required DoF. I am not complaining. I am coming from the big and heavy Mamiya RZ 67! The K-1 gives me the confidence that fine details that are important will not be lost - if I do my part right. When shooting landscapes on 35mm film, I knew I was limited by the format. Not so with the K-1.

I almost forgot. The K20D overexposed with most of my older lenses. The K-1 is better and allows me to use my older lenses and to get good deals on nice used lenses.

11-14-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

That's pretty much in line with my thinking on 645zs. I look at MikeSF's photos, the dude gets up in early in the morning, he drives to somewhere he waits for perfect light, he spends hours taking a few image, but they are the best images you're going to see of that shot.

I'm more of a drive by artist, if I see a shot I take it. But i don't usually say "the light's not quite right, I'm going to come back at 5 o'clock in the morning to get the shot when everything is perfect."

So Mike puts a lot of time into his shots, making it worth his while to have the absolute best equipment he can afford to get for them. It's more hit and miss for me. Me, I'm so casual, I should probably be shooting 4/3 or something more portable at least if it wasn't for the low light , high ISO performance of those smaller cameras.

If you spend a lot of time getting your images,, you need a K-1 (or 645z) . If you're like me, it's a luxury.
11-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's pretty much in line with my thinking on 645zs. I look at MikeSF's photos, the dude gets up in early in the morning, he drives to somewhere he waits for perfect light, he spends hours taking a few image, but they are the best images you're going to see of that shot.

I'm more of a drive by artist, if I see a shot I take it. But i don't usually say "the light's not quite right, I'm going to come back at 5 o'clock in the morning to get the shot when everything is perfect."

So Mike puts a lot of time into his shots, making it worth his while to have the absolute best equipment he can afford to get for them. It's more hit and miss for me. Me, I'm so casual, I should probably be shooting 4/3 or something more portable at least if it wasn't for the low light , high ISO performance of those smaller cameras.

If you spend a lot of time getting your images,, you need a K-1 (or 645z) . If you're like me, it's a luxury.
This basically describes me - but there are two identifiable issues with my K-30

(1) sometimes I miss a shot because my camera took too long to focus. I keep hearing that the K-1 and KP would improve on that.

(2) sometimes a shot would be much better if my camera delivered better high ISO images. I keep hearing that the K-1 and KP improve higher ISO performance.
11-15-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

emotional connection- inanimate object

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sorry, but she was wrong, but you probably can't tell her that. There is a lot of evidence that money, and the things you buy with it, can buy you some happiness, and happiness is an emotional connection. See the link for the article that sums it up nicely, and pay close attention to paragraph 11:

Scientific Proof That Buying Things Can Actually Lead To Happiness (So

Plus, the new camera allows us to have the experiential happiness that is mentioned. We take the new camera out and DO something with it, which provides that emotional satisfaction. Trying to hone or develop a skill, and progressing in it, also gives us that sense of accomplishment, that adds to the happiness quotient. And after seeing a number of different cameras and the user interface, I really think Pentax has the best!

This may be more applicable to men than women, which may account for some disconnect in this way of thinking, as women are more socially oriented than men, stereo typically.
11-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Sorry, but she was wrong, but you probably can't tell her that. There is a lot of evidence that money, and the things you buy with it, can buy you some happiness, and happiness is an emotional connection. See the link for the article that sums it up nicely, and pay close attention to paragraph 11:

Scientific Proof That Buying Things Can Actually Lead To Happiness (So

Plus, the new camera allows us to have the experiential happiness that is mentioned. We take the new camera out and DO something with it, which provides that emotional satisfaction. Trying to hone or develop a skill, and progressing in it, also gives us that sense of accomplishment, that adds to the happiness quotient. And after seeing a number of different cameras and the user interface, I really think Pentax has the best!

This may be more applicable to men than women, which may account for some disconnect in this way of thinking, as women are more socially oriented than men, stereo typically.
Tess sends me out with the camera when she wants to vacuum or something. She starts suggesting things I might take pictures of "Go for a walk, take your camera and the dogs."
12-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I know the K-1 is beyond me and I am fine with that. I have something to grow into for the next few years. Now to start growing the lenses. I did not have many with my K-5 as I was mostly interested in Landscape and Nightscape photography. I had the lens I needed (Rokinon 14mm) Plus a couple cheap zooms that I never use.

With the K-1 and Mark II in my hands, I will grow my lens lineup. I will start taking more pictures. I will plan more trips. I will expand my horizons.

And for that, I am grateful for the K-1. It will help me grow as a photographer but also take me to places I might never have visited before. Later this year, my wife and I are going to Glacier National Park. If I did not have a camera, I doubt I would be interested. But I am interested, and cannot wait to go. I will do things where I will not take pictures, but I will still do them and enjoy them. I will grow as a person, because of that hunk of metal.

Therefore I am excited to say that the K-1 is beyond me. Because I can and will grown into it.
12-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I know the K-1 is beyond me and I am fine with that. I have something to grow into for the next few years. Now to start growing the lenses. I did not have many with my K-5 as I was mostly interested in Landscape and Nightscape photography. I had the lens I needed (Rokinon 14mm) Plus a couple cheap zooms that I never use.

With the K-1 and Mark II in my hands, I will grow my lens lineup. I will start taking more pictures. I will plan more trips. I will expand my horizons.

And for that, I am grateful for the K-1. It will help me grow as a photographer but also take me to places I might never have visited before. Later this year, my wife and I are going to Glacier National Park. If I did not have a camera, I doubt I would be interested. But I am interested, and cannot wait to go. I will do things where I will not take pictures, but I will still do them and enjoy them. I will grow as a person, because of that hunk of metal.

Therefore I am excited to say that the K-1 is beyond me. Because I can and will grown into it.
You'll be fine. The RAW files will be like a big K-5, but a bit sharper because of the removed AA filtee.

12-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1? HEH!

My KX is beyond me.

But I can work on one thing at a time. Such as, before the tree comes down I WILL expose one of those OOF multi-colored Mini-light bokeh shots with the Fat Fifty.
12-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You'll be fine. The RAW files will be like a big K-5, but a bit sharper because of the removed AA filtee.
Oh I quite enjoy the K-1. The Pentax 15-30 was ordered this morning. Now to decide the next lens for 2020.