Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2017, 06:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite insufficient for my K-1..... and I know it!

This is a thread for those who may want to come out of the closet.

Lots of threads and posts have been made on how some aspect of the K-1 isn't good enough, well this thread is about saying out loud for all to hear that, in your world, "it's me letting the K-1 down for the most part"

Go on..... you know it's true!

I'm coming out.... by the way!

05-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not good enough for it. Certainly from the carry the thing around and the weight of all those big FF lenses. Definitely not good enough for that.
05-17-2017, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am so insufficient for a K-1 that I haven't bought one. I'm barely adequate for my K-3 II.

I am the George Costanza of photographers.

Sorry, K-1, it's not you.... It's me.

- Craig
05-17-2017, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I am so insufficient for a K-1 that I haven't bought one. I'm barely adequate for my K-3 II.

I am the George Costanza of photographers.

Sorry, K-1, it's not you.... It's me.

- Craig
I wouldn't rule out getting one for this reason.... most of us would never get married if we were that hard on ourself! (my partner is much a better person than me)

05-17-2017, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Its about setting a bar.. a potential to reach towards, whilst being compassionate for current shortcomings. That's the recipe for growth.

The K1 is that bar, that potential. As is any gear set combined with its user's passion to learn and creativity.
05-17-2017, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 headroom above my skill is considerable.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-18-2017 at 10:48 AM.
05-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never even needed to upgrade from my k100d all those years ago, so yes, I qualify with plenty of insufficiency.

05-17-2017, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my K-1 and now I'm afraid to lean over a bridge rail to get a great shot for fear of dropping it. I even worry about carrying it by its strap and I almost put out over a grand for a new lens similar to one I already have just because my lens isn't a Pentax lens and I didn't want to insult my K-1. Ok, there I said it. I'm no good for this camera! I have a great shot and the first thing I think about is is it safe to use my K-1..... I've got to go back to my PZ-1p and film with no sensor to burn out.
05-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

Lots of threads and posts have been made on how some aspect of the K-1 isn't good enough, well this thread is about saying out loud for all to hear that, in your world, "it's me letting the K-1 down for the most part"

I'm coming out.... by the way!
Hi Noel

Well bring a coat it's cold outside

Dave
05-17-2017, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Add me to the list. I look at the wonderful images posted here, then at my snapshots, and decide not to post much. But the K-1 and the FA Limiteds are such wonderful pieces of kit to hold and use.
05-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Clear. Still a lot of room for improvement, not limited by the camera, anyway , that was the outcome of the experience when upgrading from a K3 to a K1: ISO headroom with SR is such that it is makes possible to shoot in low light without a tripod. No need to say, if Ricoh imaging makes a set of good fast prime, I'll be leaving the tripod at home.
05-17-2017, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

Exactly that! The K-1 is so advanced and demanding in many photographic ways and moreover is packed with various features that offer so many opportunities to try new photographic sectors! Thank God though it has 2 important qualities: 1. She also features the well known Pentax ergonomics that are very user friendly even for non Pentaxians!
2. She is not an intimidating camera, on the contrary she provokes her user to get involved with new photographic areas and technics and evolve his skills.

I'm using my K-1 for about a year now and I've seen that it acts like a magnifying glass! My mistakes are more evident with the K-1, but OTOH when I manage to take a picture right, the results are always impressive! I can't exactly describe what I'm seeing-feeling but I'm still amazed how close to reality the K-1 pictures are...

As @wissink and @monochrome correctly put it, K-1 sets the bar way too high, but is user friendly and ask you to follow if you can...
05-17-2017, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I pick up my K-1 and flick the on switch I hear the camera saying:

"Thank you master for turning me on, do with me whatever you want - you are sooo good".

"And please don't let any of the PF posters who confess they are inadequate go near me."

"I want you ! Your fingers stroke my buttons and knobs like nobody else can".

Cheers
05-17-2017, 11:12 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's more camera than I'll ever need.

(looks over to the 645Z in the corner of the room)
05-18-2017, 12:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

A year on and I still have no need for a K-1 ...