Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #16

Original Poster
Well, I guess I'll go with the original one. As the old saying says: "Cheap comes out dearly". Thanks for the replays. It's not worth the risk. I heard that the spare parts and repairs are very, very expensive for K-1.

05-23-2017, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The thread linked earlier was mine. I have been using various aftermarket batteries in my Canon DSLRs for over 10 years. I have never had a problem. I ordered a couple of DSTE D-Li90 replacement batteries from Amazon and so far so good. They last longer than the stock battery does.
05-23-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I go with Pentax, but someone should actually mention that the price for spare batteries asked by camera manufacturers is insane.
You can get high-end batteries for power tools with much higher ratings for less than a simple 7.2V 1.56 Ah.
So, go buy aftermarket batteries to tell Pentax that prices should become realistic.
05-23-2017, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Many of the typical reactions in threads like this one seem disconnected from reality in recommending OEM batteries that are often priced as much as ten times the cost of third party equivalents. If there are doomsday statistics on the damage caused by the latter, they are very difficult to find. The few reported examples of over-heating, or fire, or explosion appear to involve laptops and phones which were being powered by the OEM batteries, hence the publicised battery recalls. If serious numbers of digital cameras are being damaged by non-OEM batteries, it would be interesting to see the extent of the problem.

By now, there must be millions, tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of third party batteries in regular use by owners of laptops, phones and cameras all over the world, with no problems worth reporting. I have two Pentax D-Li90 batteries that came with the cameras, plus 4 very cheap equivalents - some are about four years old but I don't know which, as they are rotated around the cameras and, if there are performance differences, I don't notice. One fact does seem certain - while ever people are willing to pay way over the top of what is reasonable for OEM batteries, the camera manufacturers will never reduce their ridiculous prices.

Philip

05-24-2017, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
By now, there must be millions, tens of millions, even hundreds of millions of third party batteries in regular use by owners of laptops, phones and cameras all over the world, with no problems worth reporting. I have two Pentax D-Li90 batteries that came with the cameras, plus 4 very cheap equivalents - some are about four years old but I don't know which, as they are rotated around the cameras and, if there are performance differences, I don't notice. One fact does seem certain - while ever people are willing to pay way over the top of what is reasonable for OEM batteries, the camera manufacturers will never reduce their ridiculous prices.

Philip
I appreciate your point of view but that doesn't change the fact that mentioned Wasabi power battery replacement for D-Li90 is a total garbage.
Off course there are good quality 3rd part batteries, I recommended Hahnel because it is well made in Germany, costs 30€ which is not so much and could be easily purchased over internet by @Markovo assuming that he is EU citizen.
05-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
I appreciate your point of view but that doesn't change the fact that mentioned Wasabi power battery replacement for D-Li90 is a total garbage.
Off course there are good quality 3rd part batteries, I recommended Hahnel because it is well made in Germany, costs 30€ which is not so much and could be easily purchased over internet by @Markovo assuming that he is EU citizen.
I already found Hehnel batteries for 18€ a piece, including delivery...
05-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm not so worried about batteries lighting my camera on fire or leaking or exploding or sending vast jolts of power through the electronics.

I just want to be able to count on them when I need them, and by that measure Wasabi falls far short.

05-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Maybe Wasabi has good batches and bad batches. I got good batches with my 2 orders.
05-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a Watson battery at the time I got my K-1 from B&H which sat on my shelf until recently when I decided to use it. I haven't evaluated it for providing a charge yet but noted that it doesn't snap lock into the Panasonic charger the way the Panasonic battery does and has a tendency to fall out. That issue shouldn't affect how it fits into the K-1. To its merit, It's has a slightly higher Ah rating than its Panasonic counterpart, and the packaging contained a small pamphlet which explained battery use and care very well (including not leaving a LI battery fully charged when storing it - a good point left out in some instructions elsewhere). Whether the higher Ah rating is realistic or not remains to be seen. I plan to use it in the next few months and will report back my experiences.
05-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
I already found Hehnel batteries for 18€ a piece, including delivery...
Excellent price, from time to time I found them on sale for 25€ but not lower than that.
Btw cheapest Noname China battery which works good which I used is made by this guys CameronSino Technology
It is labeled CS-DLI90MC and it works OK for the price, after 3 years its declared capacity of 120% of original Pentax battery dropped to 60% which is still acceptable.
But t is hard to find them in EU.
05-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #26

Original Poster
Excellent price, from time to time I found them on sale for 25€ but not lower than that.
Btw cheapest Noname China battery which works good which I used is made by this guys CameronSino Technology
It is labeled CS-DLI90MC and it works OK for the price, after 3 years its declared capacity of 120% of original Pentax battery dropped to 60% which is still acceptable.
But t is hard to find them in EU.
This is a dealer price they gave me. They sell it for 25€ on their shop. What a nice coincidence that this is the only third-party battery for Pentax that is available in my country...
05-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
This is a dealer price they gave me. They sell it for 25€ on their shop. What a nice coincidence that this is the only third-party battery for Pentax that is available in my country...
Not exactly a coincidence, I checked where are you from before my reply
I have a few clients there, been there and already bought some Hahnel equipment in Sofia.

Btw I'm coming to Rila in august after my summer vacation in Greece.
A little marketing regarding that
rila lakes - Google Search
05-25-2017, 02:34 AM   #28

Original Poster
Not exactly a coincidence, I checked where are you from before my reply
I have a few clients there, been there and already bought some Hahnel equipment in Sofia.

Btw I'm coming to Rila in august after my summer vacation in Greece.
A little marketing regarding that
rila lakes - Google Search
Rila lakes are tough route. I was there last year, but took the long road trough Maliovitsa ( Maliovitsa - Google ??????? ) it was a 10 hour walk... Sure you'll need some spare batteries.