Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

This Guy...

Benjamin Kanarek, told "The Angry Photographer" that:

"going from the Pentax to Nikon focusing system was like being constipated then having a big BM(not sure if it was the K-1)!

05-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote

"going from the Pentax to Nikon focusing system was like being constipated then having a big BM(not sure if it was the K-1)!
Really ??
Ben DID say that !!??

Granted, Nikon may have a better AF but it didn't have to be said that way.
05-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ben was member "Benjikan" here at PF. I wonder if he is still a member? I recall that he had some great fashion work earlier. Sounds like he has gone the Nikon route?
05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben used Pentax up until the K-3, but IIRC Ricoh dropped their sponsorship so he went to Nikon.

He's always complained about the AF, but otherwise had praise for the cameras.

05-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.... "going from the Pentax to Nikon focusing system was like being constipated then having a big BM(not sure if it was the K-1)!
I think he was using the K5 then. If I remember correctly he first went to the D600 then to the D800. He was quite upset with Pentax's focus system's accuracy.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Ben was member "Benjikan" here at PF. I wonder if he is still a member? I recall that he had some great fashion work earlier. Sounds like he has gone the Nikon route?
It looks like he is still on the PF from time to time.... the last a few months ago.
05-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This Guy... Benjamin Kanarek, told "The Angry Photographer" that: "going from the Pentax to Nikon focusing system was like being constipated then having a big BM(not sure if it was the K-1)!
Apparently, it's the same when going from Nikon to Sony A9. I can only conclude that some people may end-up with stinky pants. Fortunately, when using my Pentax K1, I did not experience an emergency to the bathroom. Perhaps it's only a Nikon after effect.
05-24-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Apparently, it's the same when going from Nikon to Sony A9. I can only conclude that some people may end-up with stinky pants. Fortunately, when using my Pentax K1, I did not experience an emergency to the bathroom. Perhaps it's only a Nikon after effect.
My seemingly ancient Sony DSC-V3 seems as fast or faster than my K3II for focus. Kinda nuts. Not sure what the black magic in figuring out focus is, but would think we're at a technology point where it was starting to equalize across brands. My pants are still good though.

05-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Your seemingly ancient Sony DSC-V3 with its tiny sensor doesn't need any kind of precision focus - those kind of cameras would focus in several discrete steps, and that's enough for them, the DOF takes care of the rest. An APS-C camera has a much tougher job.
05-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He said the Pentax always missed the eyes.
05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Your seemingly ancient Sony DSC-V3 with its tiny sensor doesn't need any kind of precision focus - those kind of cameras would focus in several discrete steps, and that's enough for them, the DOF takes care of the rest. An APS-C camera has a much tougher job.
Thanks for the explanation - always wondered about that. And for the record, I do love the K3II, and it focuses fast enough for 98% of what I do. Just kinda weird to pick up the Sony, which has got to be pushing 12+ years now, and it seems instant on focus. No shutter lag either, but those were all factors that led me to buying it.
05-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As long as you can push the shutter under one continuous motion and you get a vast majority of your shots in focus ( mild action to still life), then you have fast enough focus for general purpose photography. But if you are having to press half-way down to get focus conformation first then I'd say your focus system is sub par by today's standards.
05-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Banned

He said the Pentax always missed the eyes.
Not always and it is not so simple, it depends on various things (light, distance, dof) but I agree with him that Pentax AF can't be trusted by default.
If you don't have a good light, chimping and reshooting in MF is usually necessary for closeup portraits with shallow dof.
I still have K-5, also I have K-1 for almost a year and Sony for 2 years.
Sony EYE AF works almost perfectly, and it is better option for portraits than Pentax.
Sony is also better for action in general with AF-C (lock-on flexibile spot works very good).
Sony also have slightly better wifi remote control software but mostly because Image Sync can't rotate view to landscape mode.
For everything else K-1 is a better choice.
At least for me.
05-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I had real difficulty with focus consistency on my K-5, as have others. That simile is is maybe a bit vivid, but I won't argue with the underlying complaint.

(Since then, though -- much better focusing on my K-3 II and K-1.)
06-25-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This may help:

Do you remember Benjamin Kanarek..?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Good to see you again benjikan, your posts were different and always interesting.

When I was trying to decide whether or not to keep the K-5, the last model Benjikan used I went out and tried to do some bird photography with it. After a while using a K-3 it was just a major pain. Now with the K-1 which is even better than the K-3, I probably wouldn't use a K-5 unless it was the only camera available. So I can't say I'm in disagreement on the AF of the K-5. However, that's old news.

There should however be on Pentax camera for portraits , weddings etc. that has decent eye recognition. If memory serves me well, my Q-S1 has it. It's just not something I use much. It's obviously much more important for others.

Tess still uses her K-5 for landscape and our dogs, without issue.

Last edited by normhead; 06-25-2017 at 09:07 AM.