Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enabling the Electronic Shutter

I just upgraded my K-1 to the latest firmware and that added the electronic shutter feature. However, when I went to try it out, it's off and the menu option is grayed out so I can't select it. I tried turning off SR to see if I could select it, and no dice. What conditions are required for me to active the electronic shutter option?

05-25-2017, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn ES on in the menu, at the top of camera menu page 2. The info screen indicator will stay greyed out but enter live view and it will be working, check for the 'ES' at the top of the LV screen.

I forgot to mention, it works with SR on too, as it will turn it off when you select LV.

Tas
05-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Turn ES on in the menu, at the top of camera menu page 2.
The camera won't let me select ES to turn it on. The cursor skips right past it from the 2 tab to Memory Card Options.
05-25-2017, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
The camera won't let me select ES to turn it on. The cursor skips right past it from the 2 tab to Memory Card Options.
ES is turned on in the main menu, not via the info screen. If you have the correct FW installed, when you press the menu button the camera menu pages come up, use the rear scroll wheel or right arrow button on the 4 way controller to get to the second page, the first option at the top of the second page is 'LV Electronic Shutter'. This needs to be changed to 'ES On'. You then leave the menu.

Try entering LV once you've done this with the drive mode in single image release. That's all I'm doing and it works for me. I got stuck with how ES works at first thinking it's turned on using the info page. I couldn't work out how to do that but with ES turned on in the main menu it would be triggered automatically once I entered LV.

Also, there might be a difference in how our cameras are set up and you might have something on that disables ES. Have a look at the instruction add on that came with FW 1.40 (I think it was that one) for anything that disables ES.

05-25-2017, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Have a look at the instruction add on that came with FW 1.40
Thank you! I found it in there. I didn't even realize instructions came alongside FW updates. The issue was the drive mode. Because I was in continuous, it was unavailable. ES is only available with single shot.
05-25-2017, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Thank you! I found it in there. I didn't even realize instructions came alongside FW updates. The issue was the drive mode. Because I was in continuous, it was unavailable. ES is only available with single shot.
Ah, it had to be something simple, glad you've got it sorted, I use it all the time now.

The FW instructions came with 1.40 or 1.41 as an add-in for the camera instructions due to the multitude of new feature sets that FW provided. The instructions are on the same FW download pages.
05-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I particularly like the ES on the K1 when using the D FA* 28-105, as that combination seems particularly prone to shutter slap.

I wish ES were available with the OVF as well; I don't understand why it couldn't be.

05-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I wish ES were available with the OVF as well; I don't understand why it couldn't be.
Doesn't the mirror need to be UP for ES? The OVF would be blacked out.
05-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Why? The mirror could be lifted in the usual way, and then ES applied instead of mechanical.
05-26-2017, 02:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

ES works with OVF on the KP. Not sure why it doesn't with the K1.
05-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It does work with OVF. I'm not sure the chain of events, but it is different than live view. I have a user mode for ES. Set the drive mode and ES mode and it is an easy switch. I have the 2 second delay as well.
05-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It does work with OVF. I'm not sure the chain of events, but it is different than live view. I have a user mode for ES. Set the drive mode and ES mode and it is an easy switch. I have the 2 second delay as well.
I'm pretty sure that ES only works with LV on the K1. That's what the documentation says anyway.

By the way, a big disadvantage of the ES as it is currently implemented is that it automatically switches off shake reduction. That may be an issue in some circumstances.
05-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I guess it's very sensitive for camera shake due to the rolling shutter, so maybe that is why they want you to use a tripod.
05-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm pretty sure that ES only works with LV on the K1. That's what the documentation says anyway.

By the way, a big disadvantage of the ES as it is currently implemented is that it automatically switches off shake reduction. That may be an issue in some circumstances.
I'll check the exiv tags for some photos I took.
05-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
ES is disabled (greyed out) until you enter Live View.

Perhaps I should clarify. For the K1 you can turn the ES on or off in the MENU. But it will only work in Live View. You can see this in action if you also enable the ES setting to be one of the items in the INFO button menu. It is only selectable in LV.

Last edited by pschlute; 05-27-2017 at 01:06 AM.