Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Issues with my new K1 and Sigma APO DG 70-200mm 1:2.8 II

So I just received my new K-1 and attached my Sigma lens listed above and the camera froze lcd screen...everything. I did the firmware updates thanking that might fix the problem but it didn't. I then have to take the battery out and then the camera unfreezes. Unfortunately I didn't bring any other lenses to test it to see if it's the lens or the camera. I am able to put the lens on my K3 and everything works.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thank you
Jim

Last edited by jbrowning; 05-26-2017 at 10:59 AM.
05-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe this is a known issue with the lens, may want to double-check with other owners but I believe you need Sigma to perform a firmware update on it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got home and my Bigma and DA* 300 does work with it.

Last edited by jbrowning; 05-26-2017 at 07:56 PM.
05-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I just researched this last night because I was considering buying a used lens. The Sigma 70-200 HSM version ii has to be updated by Sigma to work with K-1. Sigma was doing it for free when the K-1 first came out. I don't know if Sigma is still offering it for free.

05-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Adam and John, I just sent an email to Sigma to see what can be done about this. Probably won't hear anything till next week.

Thanks
Jim Browning
05-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thank you Adam and John, I just sent an email to Sigma to see what can be done about this. Probably won't hear anything till next week.

Thanks
Jim Browning
Is there EX mark on your lens?
In that case you can still update firmware for free.
Btw they will change mount also for free because of almost non-existent "scratch issue".
Even if you don't want to do that like in my case.
Now I could not use "fixed" lens with my old K-5 because after mount change microfocus adjustment range -10 to +10 is too narrow.
I wish you luck with your Sigma lens.
05-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello banep

Yes my lens has the EX mark on it.
I'm assuming the firmware update would have to be done by Sigma?
When they updated yours, do you happen to remember how long it took them? I have evening barrel races every other Friday and this is my go to lens for them.

Thank you for your time.
Jim

05-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Banned

Hello banep

Yes my lens has the EX mark on it.
I'm assuming the firmware update would have to be done by Sigma?
When they updated yours, do you happen to remember how long it took them? I have evening barrel races every other Friday and this is my go to lens for them.

Thank you for your time.
Jim
Yes, it have to be done by official Sigma service representative.
Maybe it is different procedure in US but in small European country it went like this:
I asked for firmware update by email and when they confirmed "ok, send it" I sent lens to official Sigma service representative in my country.
After that Sigma representative sent that lens to Sigma Europe, but not immediately. Because that kind of servicing is free and this is a small country they are collecting lenses for a certain period of time, around 2 weeks, and they sent all those lenses for free servicing as one package to Sigma Europe. Round trip plus servicing time was another 2 weeks so I pickup my lens 1 month after I sent it to service.
05-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

Hi, it's worth getting the replacement lens mount done at the same time as you send it for the firmware update. if you want to sell the lens in the future it could help by having lens mount and firmware updated.
05-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the response i just received from Sigma.

Jim,

Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. We are sorry, your lens is beyond its servicelife and can no longer be repaired or updated to work with modern cameras.

Well phewy, that wasn't the response I was hoping to get.

Jim
05-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Sorry that Sigma won't service the 70-200 II lens any more even if you pay. I was considering one for my K-1. I wonder if they ran out of k-mount rings, because the firmware part doesn't require any parts. They just fixed the 50-500 mount for my K-1.

Sigma would be my primary lens supplier if they made more for k-mount. Their service center is a short drive from home and they can do work while I wait.
05-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah luckily my 50-500 works fine on my K-1 and that is my lens I use for motorcycle racing. The 70-200 is my Barrel Racing lens because the events are at night. I might try and call them when I get off work and see if there is anything I can do. If not then I might go to the DA* 50-135 2.8 for my barrel racing pictures.

Thanks
Jim
05-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
Banned

If your lens is this one "APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM" you obviously had conversation with uninformed Sigma USA employee because I never heard of a one year time limitation (official Sigma statement was issued on May 11th 2016.)
Just reply to them with their own link: Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1 | Sigma Corporation of America
That is a copy of official Sigma statement, sent with internal instructions to their offices around the world to repair listed Sigma K-mount lenses for free, except maybe transportation costs (which are also free in Europe).

If you are asking how the hell is that "recall" related to firmware update?
OK, in their internal servicing instruction it is clearly stated that firmware should be updated to the latest version during mount replacement to avoid some "issues" on Pentax K-1.

So everything you should do is to insist on a free mount replacement because of "scratch" issue.

Have a nice day.
05-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo, I talked to Fred at Sigma and he says yes they can update the firmware and replace the mount. I will pack this up and get it to ups or fedex and ship it out asap.

Thanks to everyone on this.
Jim
05-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I will pack this up and get it to ups or fedex and ship it out asap.
The 70-200 HSM II performs well on the K-1, so getting the fix done is worth the hassle.