Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 10:45 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Awful autofocus on moving subjects!!!!

I just don't understand why Pentax would release a camera with such horrible performance...

05-30-2017, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see what you did there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Was that with a Screw-drive or lens motor focus?
05-30-2017, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Screw drive... Tamron 70-200/2.8

05-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might want to add the <sarc> tag to that............................
05-30-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Terrible!

05-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Was autofocus mode set to AF-C?

05-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, AF-C with focus priority. I did play around with some settings over the course of the weekend, going from Sel-9 to auto-9 to center point; also changed AF-hold a few times because early on I'd follow a dog while shooting a burst and cross a golf cart in the middle of the field (with people judging the races), but eventually found that anticipating where my line of sight would be blocked provided for a moment to let the buffer empty - I never had a problem immediately reacquiring focus after brief pauses. Overall it was more a matter of my own technique for following the dogs, as long as the focus point(s) were over a dog, the camera was staying with them no matter what direction they went.

Most shots were taken at F4 although some were wide open (which with this lens produces a somewhat soft, almost glowing/diffused effect that I was not thrilled with, but it was a better tradeoff than using a higher ISO for shots where the dogs were too far away to salvage acceptable levels of detail from a noisy image)
05-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job! Thanks a lot for suggestion
05-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do a lot of dogs with the Tamron myself and I also find I can get a lot of keepers when they're running across shot (in other words with no focus movement required) but I find it does struggle to keep track of an animal running fast towards camera from medium to short distances and keepers drop considerably. Does the fact that you posted only one shot of this type suggest you also find this?

I make up for this by using focus traps of sorts...prefocusing where I hope the action will happen and firing a burst as they pass, but it would be nicer if the focus would just keep up.
05-30-2017, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SBeck Quote
Terrible!
I agree ! Not a single blade of grass is acceptably sharp,and grass moves far more slowly than aminals.
05-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I do a lot of dogs with the Tamron myself and I also find I can get a lot of keepers when they're running across shot (in other words with no focus movement required) but I find it does struggle to keep track of an animal running fast towards camera from medium to short distances and keepers drop considerably. Does the fact that you posted only one shot of this type suggest you also find this?

I make up for this by using focus traps of sorts...prefocusing where I hope the action will happen and firing a burst as they pass, but it would be nicer if the focus would just keep up.
My position on the field didn't provide for many head on shots at close range (800 yard course in a figure 8)... will make a point to prioritize that type of photo next event, I have a straight race in a couple of weeks and should be able to stay at the finish line. I have another 1400 photos to sort through, all shot in raw and I'm procrastinating... So far I've only processed a Best In Field runoff that had my own dog in it (and had a friend borrow my camera... from what I can tell he didn't really shoot bursts, the keeper rate was high, but he didn't take a lot of shots - he did take photos of the dogs running towards/away though) and some random interesting ones to start posting online and identifying the owners easier.
05-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need practice a lot more
05-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SBeck Quote
Yes, AF-C with focus priority. I did play around with some settings over the course of the weekend, going from Sel-9 to auto-9 to center point; also changed AF-hold a few times because early on I'd follow a dog while shooting a burst and cross a golf cart in the middle of the field (with people judging the races), but eventually found that anticipating where my line of sight would be blocked provided for a moment to let the buffer empty - I never had a problem immediately reacquiring focus after brief pauses. Overall it was more a matter of my own technique for following the dogs, as long as the focus point(s) were over a dog, the camera was staying with them no matter what direction they went.

Most shots were taken at F4 although some were wide open (which with this lens produces a somewhat soft, almost glowing/diffused effect that I was not thrilled with, but it was a better tradeoff than using a higher ISO for shots where the dogs were too far away to salvage acceptable levels of detail from a noisy image)
At what setting did you set the "AF-Hold" and decided it was "good to go" ?!
05-30-2017, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've often wished I could send my K-1 back for a refund . . . *

* you had me going there for a minute .