Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2017, 05:49 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 tracking AF

Once again, I have time to test Pentax AF performance and end up thinking "what gives?"

Nine shots in two seconds (4.5 per second with tracking turned on (Audiobomber's settings)

First shot.

Last shot

Everything in between razor sharp.

I had lots of misses, when I didn't establish focus in the first frame or when I let the subject wander out of my viewfinder while tracking. I also had times when I missed the first frame and it picked up my subject for me half way through the sequence.

But to be brief, every miss by the camera was definitely user error. This nine shot sequence shows what the camera is capable of with a competent user.

Some other images from the afternoon. Most shot with the DA*200, some shot with the DA*200 and 1.4 TC.

I have to say, after all the posts on the forum about Pentax tracking, I'm surprised with the camera, and disappointed with a lot of self proclaimed experts.

I'm just waiting for someone to come on and tell me their camera can do better than 9 for 9. Oh and before someone says it wasn't head on, well it was moving towards me, just not straight at me, so save your breath.

The first shot was taken 10 minutes before the last, with my dogs waiting in the car. It's not like I devoted a lot of time to this. 10 minutes to negate the hours of typing that have gone into trashing Pentax AF. Bookmark this for the " I don't own one but I know Pentax tracking is really bad." crew.

Last edited by normhead; 06-05-2017 at 06:33 PM.
06-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice shots. I agree the user will get results when it is done right.
06-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't count Norm. It's not bicycles and it's not a Sony! LOL

Jokes aside. that's neat. Nothing wrong with AF on the K-1. I wish I could afford one.
06-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Norm for the test, looks good. Agree that user experience is a key component of AF that no one seems to consider.

06-05-2017, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, Norm, I'm bookmarking this.

06-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

Can you please share your k-1 settings?
06-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Understood.

I had a pleasant surprise when I first used my k-1. I was using the DA* 200mm + 1.4x converter, so the examples below are heavily cropped. I simply used single point, AF-C, and fast frame rate. Of course, the camera lost focus when the bird starting coming towards me, which is probably a weakness, but it seems to do parallel shooting fairly well.

06-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I had a pleasant surprise when I first used my k-1. I was using the DA* 200mm + 1.4x converter, so the examples below are heavily cropped. I simply used single point, AF-C, and fast frame rate. Of course, the camera lost focus when the bird starting coming towards me, which is probably a weakness, but it seems to do parallel shooting fairly well.
Great sequence ! Very accurate.

---------- Post added 06-05-17 at 10:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once again, I have time to test Pentax AF performance and end up thinking "what gives?"

Nine shots in two seconds (4.5 per second with tracking turned on (Audiobomber's settings)

First shot.

Last shot

I had lots of misses, when I didn't establish focus in the first frame or when I let the subject wander out of my viewfinder while tracking. I also had times when I missed the first frame and it picked up my subject for me half way through the sequence.

But to be brief, every miss by the camera was definitely user error. This nine shot sequence shows what the camera is capable of with a competent user.

Some other images from the afternoon. Most shot with the DA*200, some shot with the DA*200 and 1.4 TC.

I have to say, after all the posts on the forum about Pentax tracking, I'm surprised with the camera, and disappointed with a lot of self proclaimed experts.

I'm just waiting for someone to come on and tell me their camera can do better than 9 for 9. Oh and before someone says it wasn't head on, well it was moving towards me, just not straight at me, so save your breath.

The first shot was taken 10 minutes before the last, with my dogs waiting in the car. It's not like I devoted a lot of time to this. 10 minutes to negate the hours of typing that have gone into trashing Pentax AF. Bookmark this for the " I don't own one but I know Pentax tracking is really bad." crew.

Very nice, Norm!
You sure don't "need" 8 FPS here.
06-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Norm, could you please expand on "Audiobomber's settings"?
06-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote

That's some bad color fringing.
06-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you shall post on dpreview
06-06-2017, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's nice to see someone focusing on the K-1's great performance.

P.S. Those are nice images of what must be Sony's target customers -- they seem gullible.
06-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

First shot.

Last shot

Took some seagull images over the last two weeks with K1. These little dudes sail nicely in the air and are not the most difficult birds to capture. I like my K1 and my glass, but there are better solutions.
Other AF system's tracking works better with changing background and more erratic movements. My real concern with Pentax is that competitive long telephoto lenses are missing in the lineup and that Pentax has no good connection to Sigma(/Tamron/Tokina) for an alternative.

Last edited by zapp; 06-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
06-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Took some seagull images over the last two weeks with K1. These little dudes sail nicely in the air and are not the most difficult birds to capture. I like my K1 and my glass, but there are better solutions.
Other AF system's tracking works better with changing background and more erratic movements. My real concern with Pentax is that competitive long telephoto lenses are missing in the lineup and that Pentax has no good connection to Sigma(/Tamron/Tokina) for an alternative.
It depends on how you look at it. If you are buying a camera just for tracking birds, you probably want something else. If you want a camera that is a great landscape camera, a great portrait camera, and can also do wildlife or birds in flight if opportunity presents itself, then it is an amazing camera.

The knock on Pentax AF is usually made comparing to cameras that don't do what Pentax does in terms of astrotracer, Pixel shift, resolution and in body shake reduction. So, you can say that, but that doesn't make those cameras a better fit for most of us than a K-1.

QuoteQuote:
Paul the Sunman
Norm, could you please expand on "Audiobomber's settings"?
Reading the following thread will help you out. Even though it's geared towards a K-3, you get the basic concepts. Audiobomber seems to be the guy that sits down with the camera and manual and figures these things out, it's a unique talent in my estimation.
K-3 Bird In Flight - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 06-15-17 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I was tracking this guy when two other birds flew up into the frame from the beach in front of me. Focus stayed with the bird I was tracking. Others seem to claim Pentax isn't as good or can't do this.

I tend to focus on what it does. Not on what other people say it can't do. When folks say "other cameras are better than Pentax at this or that", I have no idea if it's the camera or the photographer. I do know from time to time that photographers who are as familiar with their system as I am with mine can get results equal to mine. And I can get images equal to their's. I'm just not sure how this is evaluated. I am also aware that there are photographers with much more expensive glass and bodies who's work rarely even approaches what do. I also don't care about "lens" availability. It's subjective.I have my Tammy 300 2.8, the Sigma 300 2.8 is still available. I just don't want to carry anything heavier than that. The availability of longer lenses in other mounts is pretty much moot if you can find what you want for Pentax. There is a lot of Pentax glass around. Not everyone needs the latest to get the job done. The only way Pentax falls down is in the latest greatest I just saw it reviewed in a magazine lenses.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
06-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
That's some bad color fringing.
The tracking did work nicely...but I admit, when I saw those pictures the purple fringing is what i first noticed too.