Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Street Photography...

.. is rather hard to do.

I went to a street music festival in Copenhagen with some colleagues who are also hobby photographers.

We decided to try to get some candid street photos. It's harder than I thought. Especially with such a high concentration of people as at a street music festival.

Anyone got some tips to share?

I'm posting a few images on here and feel free to checkout the full album on flickr.

06-08-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
...checkout the full album on flickr
For the benefit of others, here's the album Distortion 2017 | Flickr

Disclaimer: I only dabble in street photography, and what I'm writing here is just to get you to think, not recommendations.

You did a mix of posed street portraits and candid shots where people weren't aware of the camera. I generally prefer the latter unposed style, but it's a matter of opinion.

There's nothing wrong with B&W, but street photography can be done in color, too. B&W is a good way to hide noise when photographing in dim light.

It looks like a lot of the shots were done with the FA 43 wide open. That gets a lot of light and gives thin depth of field. Accurate focus is essential with those settings. Another way to go is wide angle like 28mm, stop down to get more depth of field, and manually focus a few feet away. Everything will look in focus and you don't have to compose as carefully. That helps me get more candid shots because I can get shots without looking through the viewfinder or LCD, but it does require more cropping and leveling later. Search "hyperfocal" and "shooting from the hip" for more info.

This is my favorite from your album. It tells a story.
06-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I can't quantify what makes good street photography but it definitely needs to tell a story or the points of interest in the scene need to be "connected" in some way. And I guess you don't get any street cred for using long glass to capture your images; that is, avoid the spying look of a telephoto lens.
06-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
.. is rather hard to do.

I went to a street music festival in Copenhagen with some colleagues who are also hobby photographers.

We decided to try to get some candid street photos. It's harder than I thought. Especially with such a high concentration of people as at a street music festival.

Anyone got some tips to share?

I'm posting a few images on here and feel free to checkout the full album on flickr.

My tip, get close and smile.
I do a lot of street photographing, and my most used combo is the K-3 18-135. It gives me flexibility, and the 18-135 is much better than some people think. I also carry the 50 1.8 in my bag, who also nice in the streets.
Itīs much about training, training, training, until you get comfortable and find your own way to do street photoīs. Myself, love taking street portraits, but dontīt get of the way to take situations who can tell a story.

Good luck!

06-08-2017, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I can't quantify what makes good street photography but it definitely needs to tell a story or the points of interest in the scene need to be "connected" in some way. And I guess you don't get any street cred for using long glass to capture your images; that is, avoid the spying look of a telephoto lens.
Well, it depends of the subject. Iīm clear about what iīm doing, and carry a smile, when i walk the streets with my camera. Thats the most importen thing to do.

An example, taken at 135 mm, and got some high score and medal in competition.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
Well, it depends of the subject. Iīm clear about what iīm doing, and carry a smile, when i walk the streets with my camera. Thats the most importen thing to do.

An example, taken at 135 mm, and got some high score and medal in competition.
That looks like an abstract portrait rather than street photography. And it looks like a lot of post processing which straight photography usually tries to avoid.
06-08-2017, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I hope I at least get some street cred for my "street" photography. I used a real rangefinder, BW film, no light meter and an equivalent to a 28mm in small format. Way harder than a fully automagic camera with auto focus.

Vineyard | 120 Roll Film | yo_tuco | Flickr
Snohomish Motorcycle Show | 120 Roll Film | yo_tuco | Flickr
Snohomish Motorcycle Show | 120 Roll Film | yo_tuco | Flickr

Last edited by tuco; 06-09-2017 at 09:11 AM.
06-08-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Another way to go is wide angle like 28mm, stop down to get more depth of field, and manually focus a few feet away. Everything will look in focus and you don't have to compose as carefully. That helps me get more candid shots because I can get shots without looking through the viewfinder or LCD, but it does require more cropping and leveling later. Search "hyperfocal" and "shooting from the hip" for more info.
That's how I shoot with my GR alot of the time. 18.3mm APS-C @f8 hyperfocal is about 2m. Set snap focus to 2m, f8 and capture, capture, capture. Everything from just past arms length to infinity is plenty sharp and if I really want to take some time and compose back button AF has it covered. So much fun to shoot like that.
06-08-2017, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #9

That looks like an abstract portrait rather than street photography. And it looks like a lot of post processing which straight photography usually tries to avoid.
There is no recipe on street photographing, as many thinkīs. In this photo, the men get out of the shadows and in to the light, on the street. This is street portrait and candid, so then...
If you like, check out my, and others, on Flickr or 500px,, and you see many different ways of documenting the streets an the people there. That whats it all about, documenting.

here is another example of mine
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There is no recipe on street photographing...
I agree. But still that is an abstract and really graphics art in lieu of straight photography when you manipulate a picture that much. And shooting with a equivalent of a 200mm lens is well... long glass.
06-08-2017, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

There are a couple of different ways that I have tried to do it. One is to NOT try and sneak photos. Walk around the festival or event or whatever and have fun along with everyone else. When you see something cool treat it like you belong there and are documenting the event.

Other times I have taken the approach to be a ninja. I would find a scene, follow the light, frame up my shot base on context and then wait for the action to come to me. Did I take pictures of strangers? Yes, because they walked into my shot.

Odds are if you go chasing around the action you won't have as much success unless you are taking part of the action being taken. In other words, when in Rome, grab a beer and have some fun along with everyone else. Literally the 'hold my beer while I take this shot' approach works surprisingly well.
06-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #12

I agree. But still that is an abstract and really graphics art in lieu of straight photography when you manipulate a picture that much. And shooting with a equivalent of a 200mm lens is well... long glass.
Whats the problem with long glas to get a good picture, and you are clear about what you are doing? Itīs great for street portraiture, for an example...
Use what you have, itīs not about equipment, itīs about the subject.
I also use Fuji X-M1 with 27 and 60mm, Pentax with 30, 50, 105mm and zooms, depending of type of subjects.

Most important, have fun with the camera, and donīt let the seriousity kill the joy
06-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Whats the problem with long glas to get a good picture, and you are clear about what you are doing?
I agree again. But the genre of street photography is typically associated with genre of straight photography, up close and personal (not from a distance) and not a heavily manipulated image from my understanding. Just saying.
06-08-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #14

I agree again. But the genre of street photography is typically associated with genre of straight photography, up close and personal (not from a distance) and not a heavily manipulated image from my understanding. Just saying.
Ok, close enough....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-08-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
That's how I shoot with my GR alot of the time. 18.3mm APS-C @f8 hyperfocal is about 2m. Set snap focus to 2m, f8 and capture, capture, capture. Everything from just past arms length to infinity is plenty sharp and if I really want to take some time and compose back button AF has it covered. So much fun to shoot like that.
Yup, f8 and fixed focus. Shots from all angles. Stories. Smile. Not look furtive. I'm not good at asking for poses, but I have never been refused - it takes me well out of my comfort zone, but is often the best way. I assume you've come across Martin Parr - a master.