Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K1 SD cards

Using more and more pixels shift these day, I looked into buy a larger SD card. So far, I've only used 64G or smaller SD cards for the K1. I couldn't find much information in the manual.
Anyone using 128GB / 256GB SD cards? Does it affect speed when reviewing / deleting / moving photos with the camera?

06-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Using more and more pixels shift these day, I looked into buy a larger SD card. So far, I've only used 64G or smaller SD cards for the K1. I couldn't find much information in the manual.
Anyone using 128GB / 256GB SD cards? Does it affect speed when reviewing / deleting / moving photos with the camera?
Shouldn't make a difference as long as the cards have the same ratings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2017, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Been using a pair of Lexar Professional 150 MB/s 128gb cards in my K1 since I've had it, and I took delivery of mine a couple days after official release.
06-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shouldn't make a difference as long as the cards have the same ratings.
Thanks Adam.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Been using a pair of Lexar Professional 150 MB/s 128gb cards in my K1 since I've had it, and I took delivery of mine a couple days after official release.
Thanks. Noted.

06-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Im using two 128 DB SD-card one from sandisk, the other from transcend. I bought both of them in april 2016 together withe K-1 (roundabout 40000 pictures have been taken since then)
Both are cards with writing speeds above 60 MB/sec.
But there is no need for such fast cards because the K-1 is writing with a maximum below 30 MB/sec and the K-3 with a Maximum below 40 Mb/sec.
The camera K-1 shows a capacity of 1608 Pictures in RAW, in reality there will fit roundabout 2600 pictures on one card, the typical size of one raw is 49127404 Bytes (mean of 32609 pictures)

Last edited by joergens.mi; 06-11-2017 at 11:44 AM.
06-11-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
The camera K-1 shows a capacity of 1608 Pictures in RAW, in reality there will fit roundabout 2700 pictures on one card.
06-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not if pixel shift resolution is frequently used. At 160 - 170 mb per file a card can be filled fairly quickly and the figures given above wouldn't apply. I use a 128 gb card in slot #1 and a much smaller card in #2 for small jpg's for emailing. Since I do landscape photos on a tripod speed isn't ever an issue for me.

06-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Not if pixel shift resolution is frequently used. At 160 - 170 mb per file a card can be filled fairly quickly and the figures given above wouldn't apply. I use a 128 gb card in slot #1 and a much smaller card in #2 for small jpg's for emailing. Since I do landscape photos on a tripod speed isn't ever an issue for me.
What brand and speed cards are you using?
06-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use a 128 gb card in slot #1 and a much smaller card in #2 for small jpg's for emailing.
:-) that's what I figured out ! Although I wouldn't need that much space for landscape, I happened to shoot sports with the K1 and filled-up a 64Gb card before end of the day, then I was stuck because I did not have a spare card. If I'd use a single 128gb card in slot #1, as a buffer, it would last the whole day. I'd empty that card as I have time to keep a limited number of shots and move then to SD2, then format SD1 again.
06-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd recommend dual 128GB cards these days. Also, our tests have shown that you do get the best performance with sandisk extreme pro cards. The k-1's average write speed is just over 30Mb/s, but it can burst write and read faster than that.
06-11-2017, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
What brand and speed cards are you using?
Both are PNY Elite Performance class 10 cards, the 128 GB (for raw) labeled as 95 mb/s SDXC and the 16 GB (for jpgs) as 90 mb/s SDHC.
06-13-2017, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Both are PNY Elite Performance class 10 cards, the 128 GB (for raw) labeled as 95 mb/s SDXC and the 16 GB (for jpgs) as 90 mb/s SDHC.

Back when SanDisk cards were overpriced compared to all other brands and the money was controlled by someone else, i used PNY cards in the X's Nikon D3100 and my Pentax K50. Very good cards and had no issues with them. Now for what ever reason The SanDisk cards are the most reasonable priced brand,so i have switched!
08-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Has anyone used Delkin or Hoodman SD cards in their K-1, i'm looking for something that will reduce the lag time during write times!
08-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Has anyone used Delkin or Hoodman SD cards in their K-1, i'm looking for something that will reduce the lag time during write times!
There is no need for, because a K-1 writes with 25-30 MB /sec max.
08-22-2017, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #15

The advertisement speeds aren't average speeds when filling the card continuously. They are some top speeds.

For fast writing you should use identical cards and never delete files. Always format.

Rest of this post is some technobabble and trying not to go of abyss of flash memories of filesystems.

Let's tackle the always format first. When using FAT32 filesystem, there is file allocation table (FAT) which says this file is in these clusters. Best scenario is that file is one chunk of sequential clusters. When writing image to card the camera can first write to FAT that there will be image on these clusters and then write it. The behaviour is then single write to the FAT address and sequential write starting from address which the allocated clusters are until otherwise told. Speed difference is about ten times between single writing and same amount of sequential writing.

When deleting files the disk space is freed in FAT. The data is still there and flash memory can't be rewritten unless erased first. When rewriting, camera and card does a lot of magic and it takes time to get the data on disk. Formatting erases the card fully and gives possibility to just write.

I don't have experience on the exFAT filesystem but someone who wrote driver for it said, it's like FAT beaten to beyond recognition and then put back together to keep patent royalties continues to flow....

There are many possibilities when SD-card can ask for delay. So using both cards identical the timing model is same and camera may or may not prepare for it. Also larger cards usually are faster on small writes like few MBs of JPG. I believe this is result of the addressing model of the flash chip inside the card. So far I haven't seen any processor which has two independent SD hardware, but I've multiplexed one to many cards and then it is just small matter of programming. So when both cards are equally fast, the writing is fast.

This stuff is usually hidden in many layers of abstractions. On computer there is card reader, maybe USB, all other HW and OS with its buffers and delays, but on embedded world this comes important.

Arduino sdfatlib provides some performance data: sdfatlib/CardPerformance.txt at master · jbeynon/sdfatlib · GitHub which is using SPI interface, not SD interface to communicate with the card but same rules apply.

My favourite brands are by the way Sandisk, Lexar and newest Trancends. I like how they behave.