Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 01:14 AM   #1

Purchase K1 in Canada?

Hi all,

I’ll be in Canada for a couple of weeks next august for my honeymoon trip.
I was wondering if taking advantage of the price and currency exchange with Euro would be a good opportunity to get a K1 there…
In case, what store would you guys recommend?
I’ll spend a couple of days In Toronto (where I’d eventually have it shipped) and then go up north east towards the S. Lorenzo bay with several stops to the cities on the route up to Tadoussac for the whalewatching…so I guess I’d have plenty of time and opportunities to get familiar with the K1...

What do you think?

Thanx

06-14-2017, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the K-1 in Canada, but congratulations and enjoy the honeymoon !!!
06-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Henry's Camera Store in Toronto has them in stock. I'do suggest that you go on Henry's Canada - Shop for Digital SLR Cameras, Digital Cameras, and Video Cameras - Henry's best camera store in Canada : Origin and reserve for pick-up one. Currently also they have 199.93CAD promotion on K-1 (2599.92CAD regular price, on sale for 2399.99CAD + 13% tax)
Vistek store is "special order only" but I guess it is only 1-2 days to get the camera here as Pentax Canada is close by. Vistek price is 2599CAD + 13% tax.
Aden Camera has only "limited stock" and is also selling for 2399 + 13% tax.
Downtown Camera does not carry Pentax products. As I checked their website now they do carry Pentax...

Hope this will help.

Last edited by RAART; 06-14-2017 at 06:59 AM.
06-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Order it from The camera store Pentax K-1 Body They are the guys who make so many nice Youtube video's

06-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Camera Store is in Alberta. That leaves you with Henry's, Vistek and Aden with Henry's and Aden as the easier choices. I have shopped at all 3. Good experiences with Vistek and Aden. Henry's can be be good, depending on who you deal with.
06-14-2017, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just make sure it's okay with her otherwise you'll hear the story of 'Remember the time on our honeymoon when you spent more time with your new camera than with me?' for the rest of your life!
06-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Just make sure it's okay with her otherwise you'll hear the story of 'Remember the time on our honeymoon when you spent more time with your new camera than with me?' for the rest of your life!
Sage advice!

06-14-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I live in Newfoundland and ordered mine over the phone from Henry's in Toronto for shipping out (sadly their in-province store had closed a few months previously). The guy who served me went straight out the back and put his hands physically on the camera to stop it from being sold to anyone else, as it was the last one they had in stock at the time. Avoid disappointment: call ahead and tell them you are coming, and they may be willing to hold it for you. Remember that you will also need lenses, so bring or buy appropriately. The D-FA 28-105 is a good and not hideously expensive "starter" if your budget does not stretch to the f/2.8 big league, but as with the camera, make sure they have the lens(es) you desire in stock if you're buying!!
06-14-2017, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Look here for the best price including tax . In Canada sales tax is not included and need to be added. If you are in Toronto and order from Alberta , you will pay only the Federal tax (GST who is 5% . If you order fron Henry, you will pay the fed and provincila tax who is 14,5 %.
Pentax K-1 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
06-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
In Canada sales tax is not included and need to be added. If you are in Toronto and order from Alberta , you will pay only the Federal tax (GST who is 5% . If you order fron Henry, you will pay the fed and provincial tax who is 14,5 %.
If the buyer is in a province with HST, the seller collects HST at the rate of the buyer's province. I'm in Ontario, anything I buy from a Canadian camera store gets Ontario's 13% HST rate applied to it, no matter if the seller is in Ontario, or Alberta.

I agree, photoprice.ca is an awesome resource
06-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your Honeymoon!

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I’ll spend a couple of days In Toronto (where I’d eventually have it shipped) and then go up north east towards the S. Lorenzo bay with several stops to the cities on the route up to Tadoussac for the whalewatching…
That's quite a ride, depending on how many stops you plan on doing. I live in Quebec city so if you need pointers for that city (or others along the way) feel free to ask.

I had to think for a bit about "St-Lorenzo"...

As for camera stores, you received good advice. I'll add that CameraCanada is my favourite, the yare very helpful, honest, and have good prices.
06-14-2017, 05:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Henry's will ship a K-1 to any one of their stores and they have "In store pick up" so if there's a store more convenient than Henry's downtown, you can have it shipped there. But if you are hanging around Toronto a bit you could just pick the most convenient location.

My local Cavalcade store in Huntsville has a K-1 on the shelf right now, but my guess is it will e gone long before you get here. ANd unless you are doing through Algonquin Park, there's not reason to drive through Huntsville.

Are you going to Niagara Falls? I would think it would be mandatory for a Honeymoon trip.

Last edited by normhead; 06-14-2017 at 05:55 AM.
06-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I also forget to mention that maybe you can get your paid taxes (13%) back, ask at the airport but the law has been changed recently (I think somewhere in March 2017) that might be non-refundable. You may ask the store you will deal with if you can be tax exempt.

@bobmaxja The Tax in Ontario is HST and is 13%. Province of Quebec has higher taxes than Ontario.
06-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Downtown Camera does not carry Pentax products.
That's odd, considering their website lists quite a few (although not the K-1). In any event, it's on the way from the Queen subway station to the camera stores near the intersection of Queen and Church streets (Henry's and Vistek).
06-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Last time I been there I asked for Pentax 100mm macro and the guy there just simply said that they do not carry Pentax. That was around Christmas time... Since then I never stepped in.

Anyway that may changed​... The best is if you close by just go in and ask... I also like to know.

UPDATE: I just checked their webpage and they do have plenty of Pentax products, even K-1 for 2499$. I may stand corrected on this one.

I think that sales person just didn't had a clue or they just wanted to sell more Canon or Nikon. I vent to Vistek and received amazing customer service, as always.

Last edited by RAART; 06-14-2017 at 06:54 AM.